Recommendation for dual charger?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turn2burn

Reaction score
I know there are a lot of chargers out there and I read threads here about them, but there too many. Just looking for a charger with dual outputs that can charge a couple of 6.2 amp lipos.

6.2 Amps at what voltage?

You need to know the watts required and match that up to the charger.

P=VI.
6.2A*2 batteries = 12.4A
Power for 4S = 12.4A*16.8V = 208W
Power for 3S = 12.4A*12.6V = 156W

At 4S it's 104W per channel. If you want to knock that down to 11.5V, you can get into a 200W (total) charger and open some doors. Alternatively you can find a charger the uses and external power supply or a higher end model.

I had one of these, but killed it discharging too much. It was good till then.
https://www.amainhobbies.com/isdt-d...ttery-charger-6s-12a-200w-isd-d2-mk2/p1380069

The Hota, Hobby Mate and the clones are also a good choices.
https://www.amazon.com/HOTA-Charger-Battery-Wireless-Charging/dp/B0827S7NYV
https://hobbymatehobby.com/collecti...-pro-lipo-battery-charger-support-ac-dc-input

Something like this will charge pretty much what ever you need.
https://www.amainhobbies.com/isdt-k...harger-8s-20a-600w-dc-400w-ac-isd-k4/p1372002

I use the Ovonic X1. Fast, powerful, color screen, easy to use.

Screenshot_20230217_232146_Amazon Shopping.jpg

HOTA D6+ has been a great charger. Those new gensacearespammers Dual look nice but I have no direct knowledge. Agree with the above. I would steer clear of any of the Venom or similar chargers.

I need to upgrade to real charger.... I've been using a low end 50 buck charger and it works if you have a cot and nice pillow. I did get a fast discharger and I really dig it. https://www.amainhobbies.com/isdt-fd200-8s-smart-lipo-discharger-25a-200w-isd-fd-200/p999240
I was in the same boat as you a month or so ago, just chugging along with a low end charger.. Then I bought a real charger. Upgrading to a real charger will definitely make the hobby a lot more fun.

Thanks guys, those are good options. Istd looks high end, cool. Im leaning for that Hota 6 pro, it looks just like the ultra power UP6.
Wish they had xt90. 90 amps being the max.
Well that equation doesn't seem right. 6.2 amps times half of that is 8.3 amps. And the chargers lost each channel for those amps separate. The UP6 is only 10 amps were the Hota is 15 amps which is petty good. The Imars dual look good too, the one on sale was a beast but not on sale anymore.
It almost seems a lot are re branded. A break in function would be cool.
Those are enough options you guys listed to make me make a choice, thanks.

ISDT makes really good power supplies too. That thing is deluxe. Well I can barley handle 4s, which are the packs Im going to use now, 7000mah 4S
4 8s is like for racing or something, who uses 4 8s ports, thats nuts. about to buy the Hota. ISDT also makes a 2 port but its 170 bucks.

Nice! I can certainly vouch for ISDT since their discharger has been awesome for me so far. That charger isn't cheap, but good stuff costs money. Looks like I've got some overtime to put in....
yeah, I sorta kicked myself for ordering a 2nd Imars when I could have just tossed in another bill and had a monster that will last a lifetime. Oh well, I put it in my 'saved for later' and I am sure I will end up owning it sooner before later either way. :rolleyes:

Thanks guys, those are good options. Istd looks high end, cool. Im leaning for that Hota 6 pro, it looks just like the ultra power UP6.
Wish they had xt90. 90 amps being the max.

You don't want to charge at 90Amps, so the XT90 doesn't matter. You will need an adapter cable that's all. Charge at your batteries recommended charge rate given by the manufacturer. This is typically 1C or 2C. If you charged at 90 amp it would imply that you had a 90,000 mah battery. If you tried this it would probably ruin your battery quickly and could cause a fire. Don't try this at home.... or my house please.

Well that equation doesn't seem right. 6.2 amps times half of that is 8.3 amps. And the chargers lost each channel for those amps separate. The UP6 is only 10 amps were the Hota is 15 amps which is petty good.

What equation doesn't seem right? The channels are separate unless the manufacturer says different. They are two completely separate circuits, and (unless stated by the MFG) you cannot use power from Ch1 to boost Ch2.

Just make sure you have enough Watts for each channel you are using.
Watts = battery voltage * Cell count * charging amps.​
In my case
Watts = 4.2 *4*9.5=160W, per battery.​
Or limiting to 150@ per channel
Watts = 4.2 *4*8.9=150W, per battery.​

I have the Ultra Power UP6+. It's 300W AC (150W x2) and 600W DC (300Wx2). It's solid. I use an external power supply supply and can charge 2x 4S 9500 mah batteries at 1 C with no problem. If I use the internal supply (AC) then I'm limited to 150W per channel (battery) and would need to drop my charging amps to 8.9A or less.

The Software/GUI is pretty much the same as the Hota/ISDT/Ovionic/etc.. They probably all use the same micro or a variant and use the same base for the UI.

1676745041522.png

Cool thanks. Thats the difference between the hota pro an UP6 I guess. More than enough power for me.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back