Rlarrlo AK-917

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dude, I don’t know why I didn’t offer earlier, but if you still want to be in this thing PM me your address with a parts list and I’ll get them out tomorrow.
Thanks that's a very generous offer, but the qualification window has closed.

It's a bit of a bummer and even though I didn't make the cut, I did it for fun. And it was fun and a learning experience too.

Looking back, some of that was me over thinking it instead of getting stick time. There is no substitute for experience behind the wheel. The other part was just getting a base line, with as much of the stock parts as I could. The Limitless sort of has receipes that you can tweak a bit for your driving style and conditions. There is nothing like that, so it was really a challenge.

Best of luck to the other guys & gals. It's exciting to see the success and the competition.
Yea, CEO reached out to me about a few things planned for the future, then he dropped that.
I was brutally honest with him about it. He also got backlash when he posted on Facebook about it. They are working on finalizing the rule changes before the next round starts.

I’ve already talked him into a new format for next year when they release their next platform.
That's awesome that they are reaching out and getting real feedback from real customers!

They know they F'd up with the shipping stuff. I got a note (probably not the only one) from them that apologized for the service and lack of communication. They also have a membership event where the guarantee (backed by $$) they will process the order in a timely fashion. So they are definitely trying. And I hope the succeed too.

Can’t post anymore runs or speeds right now. Not until the competition is over. They are changing the competition rules because they apparently did not want us to use current runs we have not submitted yet in the rounds to come. So basically they don’t want us saving runs. And the finals will have to include the date of the run in the video.
So like my 170mph pass which is the fastest rlaarlo pass right now, would be invalid to use in the rest of the competition because I posted the video during the qualifying time period.
Even tho I haven’t submitted it into the competition yet.

Some dumb crap they are pulling instead of just letting us have an all out speed competition

That's how I understood the comp to work. They had a "qualifying period", then a "race period". My plan was to get qualified then work on the higher speed. Even though I didn't make the cut I'd still like to get this thing to boogie down the road a bit faster than 76 mph. It can do it for sure.

Last edited:
Yea, CEO reached out to me about a few things planned for the future, then he dropped that.
I was brutally honest with him about it. He also got backlash when he posted on Facebook about it. They are working on finalizing the rule changes before the next round starts.

I’ve already talked him into a new format for next year when they release their next platform.
It is pretty wild how many times they have changed these rules and dates for this competition.
Hopefully they have it all sorted soon and smoother running for next year.

Back on my road again climbing even bigger speeds.
The airport was nice but it is extremely difficult to run at a new spot.
I was only able to make one pass with the rlaarlo and one pass with a vte2 that day. I’d we were able to stay longer I’d have done better.

Back on my road again climbing even bigger speeds.
The airport was nice but it is extremely difficult to run at a new spot.
I was only able to make one pass with the rlaarlo and one pass with a vte2 that day. I’d we were able to stay longer I’d have done better.
And we can say we knew him when....

Very cool run it sounds like a beast.

I just wanted to chime in and say that it looks like Rlaarlo is finally getting it together. I placed an order on Saturday and it shipped on Monday!

I just wanted to chime in and say that it looks like Rlaarlo is finally getting it together. I placed an order on Saturday and it shipped on Monday!
You're not kidding! I sent them a video of my motor cogging and they replied with a tracking number for a replacement esc the same day.

I ordered some parts and got a tracking number before my paypal receipt. However, the tracking number still shows nada a few days later. I know that it takes about a week to get out of China and another week in the US. It could be that it process some place the tracking numbers don't do anything.

But I was happy to at least see an acknowledgement that it was ordered.

I ordered some parts and got a tracking number before my paypal receipt. However, the tracking number still shows nada a few days later. I know that it takes about a week to get out of China and another week in the US. It could be that it process some place the tracking numbers don't do anything.

But I was happy to at least see an acknowledgement that it was ordered.
Yup, same every time. I had a week delay while it went from China to CA, then DHL got it and saw the need to route it through 3 warehouses, then it finally left California on Monday to get handed off to the USPS. I don’t know why they use this roundabout, three carrier circus for shipping. If they sent it direct from China with SpeedPak/Orange Connex we’d have it in days, not weeks. Hopefully I’ll get everything next week.

175mph so far, not quite out the box though 😆

Yup, same every time. I had a week delay while it went from China to CA, then DHL got it and saw the need to route it through 3 warehouses, then it finally left California on Monday to get handed off to the USPS. I don’t know why they use this roundabout, three carrier circus for shipping. If they sent it direct from China with SpeedPak/Orange Connex we’d have it in days, not weeks. Hopefully I’ll get everything next week.

I actually forgot about the parts then they magically showed up. It took about a week total. Considering I've waited a week for parts from Amain, which is about a 4 hr drive, it amazing. That is a HUGE improvement. Great job Rlaarlo!

I actually forgot about the parts then they magically showed up. It took about a week total. Considering I've waited a week for parts from Amain, which is about a 4 hr drive, it amazing. That is a HUGE improvement. Great job Rlaarlo!
Yep they have gotten way better for sure 👍
Just wish the front CVDs would restock soon, I have a load of parts just waiting in my cart.

Hi guys, I have two questions hopefully you can help with:

1) For both my carbon and metall rtrs, the brake doesn't hold once the car slows down, it seems to completely disengage and the car rolls for a little bit instead of coming to a complete stop - even though I have my trigger at full brakes the whole time. I'm using the stock radio. Anyone else had this issue? Does anyone have manual for the stock 120a esc for the AK917 as I cant figure out how to do the calibration and see if that fixes this?

2) Also, for the carbon with the steel spur and pinion, do you guys use any dry lube/wax since there is a cover? The driveline is very noisy!

Thanks in advance!

Hi guys, I have two questions hopefully you can help with:

1) For both my carbon and metall rtrs, the brake doesn't hold once the car slows down, it seems to completely disengage and the car rolls for a little bit instead of coming to a complete stop - even though I have my trigger at full brakes the whole time. I'm using the stock radio. Anyone else had this issue? Does anyone have manual for the stock 120a esc for the AK917 as I cant figure out how to do the calibration and see if that fixes this?

2) Also, for the carbon with the steel spur and pinion, do you guys use any dry lube/wax since there is a cover? The driveline is very noisy!

Thanks in advance!

I don't have the RTR so I'm not sure about #1 but it sounds like the brakes are turn off. This is usually an ESC programming option.

#2 The RPM is too high and nothing will stay on there for long. Make sure the gear mesh is correct. For 48P gears you should be able to get a piece of paper between the pinion/spur. When properly meshed the paper will come out like a fan.

However, I messed up a few of the 48P gears and then switched to Mod 1 gears. it sounds better, less friction and way tougher. It's a little bit of work but not that hard. You will need to calculate the correct sizing (diameters). The key is that you need the min/max TTC between 97 and 123.

You can pull the zip file from this post. It's a tool to calculate the parameters for Mod 1 gears.
https://www.rctalk.com/forum/threads/jerolds-rlaarlo-build.138240/page-3#post-1385590

I ended up with a stock Limitless pinion and a Saga pinion as my gear set. The tricky part is to make sure the gears are not too thick and everything aligns. You will want some shims too.

175mph so far, not quite out the box though 😆
Gotta give credit to Rlaarlo tho, my car is only running the optional hubs,
Everything else, axles, driveshafts, upper and lower arms, front shocks, are all stock.

I’ve got a handful of 170+ runs now and the main things that fail are just bearings.
So I change all the hub bearings after each session, and have changed the center driveshaft carrier once now.
This isn’t a failure but result of sending these bearings double their rated rpm’s

Back