Rock tumbling and jewelry making (Not RC related)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those are crazy cool . I can’t believe the colors and the detail that the polishing brings out .
It’s only gonna get better from here. We will be getting some new equipment here over the next couple months, one of them being a high end 17 pound tumbler. I also picked up some fire agate and a couple of other special agates from nature’s treasures rock shop in Austin last week. I just ordered a pound each of Bahi agate and Botswanga agate, some of the most beautiful around.

I’m also looking forward to what mango said he’s sending soon, and what I know you’re collecting to send. Anything anybody sends to me I work into the tumblers fast as I can. My plan is to send them back a couple of the rocks they sent me as well as some different ones for other areas.

Of course I still run and work on my cars as often as I can. My two, 4S builds are amazing, pretty much my dream cars. Can’t wait to try out the new m2c chassis brace I got for old Yeller and think I’ll pick one up for 4s vorteks Thing before long. I’ll be gettin’ out again today with both those cars now that the rain has finally stopped.

Thanks a lot @Velodromed now I feel like a tweeker looking at rocks !! Lol
9CEEB086-2F33-4267-8AEF-F17E4F61D59D.jpeg
F37E0122-4DE7-4D87-B7DC-DAA3C9E62062.jpeg

View attachment 288805View attachment 288806
You’ll get used to it. I can’t tell you how many times someone’s asked what we’re looking for. In the bottom picture…that one that kinda looks like a sharks tooth may be an agate. I think I see fortifications banding around lower edge, same with the whitish one above to the right. I want it 😅 the one a couple inches below the edge of your maul (ax) also looks good. At the top of the first picture, is that long piece laying kinda diagonal wood? The white squarish one below may be interesting also, same with the little round rock beneath it.
Same here!! Working construction, I'm always finding myself just ambling along, staring @ the ground like an idiot!🤣
Pick them up! If it looks cool, grab it, throw it in your pocket/car and send me pictures. If someone asks what you’re doing just tell them.

Last edited:

Just tell them your looking for gold, I'm sure they will keep their distance after that. :ROFLMAO:

Just tell them your looking for gold, I'm sure they will keep their distance after that. :ROFLMAO:
Tell who ?
Wait ?
Lol
Somebody’s watchin me …. ?
😂😱
You’ll get used to it. I can’t tell you how many times someone’s asked what we’re looking for. In the bottom picture…that one that kinda looks like a sharks tooth may be an agate. I think I see fortifications banding around lower edge, same with the whitish one above to the right. I want it 😅 the one a couple inches below the edge of your maul (ax) also looks good. At the top of the first picture, is that long piece laying kinda diagonal wood? The white squarish one below may be interesting also, same with the little round rock beneath it.

Pick them up! If it looks cool, grab it, throw it in your pocket/car and send me pictures. If someone asks what you’re doing just tell them.
Hold on I’m still looking for my maul !!!
Lol
Lolololol

Tell who ?
Wait ?
Lol
Somebody’s watchin me …. ?
😂😱

Hold on I’m still looking for my maul !!!
Lol
Lolololol
Well, that’s what we call an ax/sledgehammer combo here in Texas. Kinda what it looked like you had there in the picture…

Your good
I was still throwin tweeker jokes .
It’s definitely a maul
Fiskars 8Lber
3rd one this winter !
Cracked the heads on first two !
Fiskars warranties them but it’s a huge pain in ass to wait on a maul when you’re selling firewood , like a lot of firewood!

View attachment 288865
The metal is way too thin where the handle intersects, no wonder it breaks. I always preferred the old-school hardware store maul. Giant chunk of metal on a wood stick. Like this $50 one, except cheaper. Notice the thickness of the metal at the shaft. Used the same one for 30 years before I had to stop chopping wood because of neck and shoulder issues. Still have it somewhere.

259E89F8-8604-4993-B0D2-F09E5AD068CE.png

It’s also pretty silly where they have the retaining bolt. I mean really? At a part of the axhead where it receives the most force? Just plain silly. So go get yourself a hardware store one while you’re waiting for them to continually warrantee them 😅

I agree.
It has an isocore handle which is anti vibration, anti lots of stuff …,
The handle is superb…..
It makes me laugh a little cause it says “isocore” on handle … like it’s gonna help your back !!!lol
They put lots of engineering and research in the handle and then put a cast frickin maul head on it !
Really !!!!
If I could find a company that could make a Burgandy approved handle similar to the Fiskars maul
I’d go into production with a billet steel maul that would walk the Dog on the Fiskars!
Cause it wouldn’t break !!!
To try to get you an idea of the amount of wood I split especially in the winter..
I can hand split 4-5 Rick (4x8) stack is a Rick , In about 6 hrs
I’m kind of an animal.
I have a 37 Ton splitter that I built and can blow the doors off my 3 sons me with maul boys with splitter !!!
It makes em mad! Lol
I usually sell 4 Rick a day at 70pesos per Rick ….
And sometimes have trouble keeping up with the demand !!!!
I built splitter for the knotty stuff that is VERY difficult to split…
I’m dropping some large trees !!!!
Here’s a pic of the last one .
Measured 12.6 around !!!
It was is a BFT !!!!!

1B6D8D3A-D047-4A09-B198-F37355F280DE.jpeg

36in bar 76 cc saw
883920E8-CC44-45CD-828A-E4D2F3DEE7D8.jpeg
6219ADB1-6EE4-49EB-B571-F1B3B3A40A82.jpeg

I’ve got a vid dropping it havta find it ….

A any hoo gotta pile of rocks started for ya !!!!
Will let ya know asap
The below link should get you to vid ?
You tube takes sooooo frickn long
https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTRvGVDkn/

I agree.
It has an isocore handle which is anti vibration, anti lots of stuff …,
The handle is superb…..
It makes me laugh a little cause it says “isocore” on handle … like it’s gonna help your back !!!lol
They put lots of engineering and research in the handle and then put a cast frickin maul head on it !
Really !!!!
If I could find a company that could make a Burgandy approved handle similar to the Fiskars maul
I’d go into production with a billet steel maul that would walk the Dog on the Fiskars!
Cause it wouldn’t break !!!
To try to get you an idea of the amount of wood I split especially in the winter..
I can hand split 4-5 Rick (4x8) stack is a Rick , In about 6 hrs
I’m kind of an animal.
I have a 37 Ton splitter that I built and can blow the doors off my 3 sons me with maul boys with splitter !!!
It makes em mad! Lol
I usually sell 4 Rick a day at 70pesos per Rick ….
And sometimes have trouble keeping up with the demand !!!!
I built splitter for the knotty stuff that is VERY difficult to split…
I’m dropping some large trees !!!!
Here’s a pic of the last one .
Measured 12.6 around !!!
It was is a BFT !!!!!

View attachment 288874
36in bar 76 cc saw View attachment 288875View attachment 288876
I’ve got a vid dropping it havta find it ….

A any hoo gotta pile of rocks started for ya !!!!
Will let ya know asap
Damn boy! You give new meeting to the term ‘Got Wood?’😂 that is a BFT. Looks like a rather sick or dead one though so I see why you took it down. I used to be able to work like that, even after a 4 hour stint mountain biking. Every chance I got man. Not sure if I miss it or I’m glad I can’t do it anymore but either way, it’s all pleasant memories now.

I think a ‘San Mei’ style ax head would be best. High carbon inner core with softer, low carbon iron on both sides. You’d get the strong cutting edge combined with the shock absorption and sturdiness of the softer outer iron. Except in this case, I would have the hardened steel wrap around and secure the handle also somehow.

This rock that we just found has the most interesting pattern on it. I think it’s the same inside also, based on a chip on the side of it. Think I’ll take a few cuts around the edges with the saw, then hammer the rest down to tumbling size. It’s so different looking from anything we’ve found so far.

029293F1-3C5A-446A-BFA8-B4AE03EED842.jpeg

37BD780D-25C9-48F5-803D-EE930BFFBF72.jpeg

2D725DFE-4BCE-4B29-9C8F-7AD713259C4B.jpeg

45F94A00-7AAB-4B75-BD9B-0486AC8DD954.jpeg

That one is going to be way cool!
I hope so! Check this crazy one out. Found it a couple weeks ago and have been researching it since. It’s surprisingly heavy for how it looks and feels. The white outside flakes off in strands with finger nail pressure. If it was like that all the way through it wouldn’t weigh so much. According to a few experienced rock guys on Rock Tumbling Forum, there’s a good chance it’s young, opelized wood. If it is, when I cut it with the saw I may see a shiny black agatized interior. I’m getting the saw out this weekend for sure!

8FC9F63D-9D98-41C7-BB72-0C4C7DA25228.jpeg

Does look like wood
But it also kinda looks like bone at least to me ..,.
Interesting for sure
Is it rock or…not rock? Yes, very interesting if it’s rock. Not so much if it ain’t 🤷‍♂️

Just so you guys know, if you send me raw ugly rocks you’ll get polished pretty ones back! Not the same ones of course, because it takes so damn long to do. But ones like below. I’ve finally finished up these 3 batches that I’ve been working on these last 4 months or so.

FE2F9F14-E3C7-4558-956A-8918733295A4.jpeg

B76D628A-8C86-478E-9685-AC7EADBF136B.jpeg

4BC0443B-8FFA-4A72-BB3A-A24E9E82FE0C.jpeg

8BF533B3-60A1-4C41-8AB2-E38578D2FAC3.jpeg

C3D0AF19-ACC3-4FCB-B462-4BC59828D333.jpeg

5A11740E-478C-44DF-ACAB-AA0C3677FF1E.jpeg

1555AD5C-E1CF-48FA-890A-9DF237FCA8F8.jpeg

1699BF9A-68AF-4744-AF9F-750E4DE4CDBE.jpeg

1E4D360F-4BFF-49DB-BD20-67CE9CB7D0C8.jpeg

61CF77C8-C18D-4808-B138-C4BD5B14D5BC.jpeg

5A2764D0-3F79-4B4C-B45A-C15490405A68.jpeg

EA6E2912-393B-496B-AFCF-226928C1767A.jpeg

Just so you guys know, if you send me raw ugly rocks you’ll get polished pretty ones back! Not the same ones of course, because it takes so damn long to do. But ones like below. I’ve finally finished up these 3 batches that I’ve been working on these last 4 months or so.

View attachment 289009

View attachment 289010

View attachment 289011

View attachment 289012

View attachment 289018

View attachment 289019

View attachment 289020

View attachment 289025

View attachment 289026

View attachment 289027

View attachment 289028

View attachment 289029