Talion RPM Arms (V5 EXB) Quality Issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
have had very mixed experience with RPM products, so i tend to take their claims of "bullet proof" plastics worth a grain of salt.

I've used their arms a few times, they just kind of exist. I don't have any evidence they're better than stock. It all breaks at the end of the day!

I've used their arms a few times, they just kind of exist. I don't have any evidence they're better than stock. It all breaks at the end of the day!
But i think therein lies the problem. Plenty of good data in the forum about RPM arms breaking (though not for all models). So the claim of "bullet proof" plastic is misleading if your products aren't consistently better than stock or only apply to select few models/trucks.

That said, i replaced the front upper control arms with the RPM version (left the bottoms as stock) on my kraton EXB and they have been a significant improvement over stock in durability and maintaining form. So they can do something right, occasionally.

Many of the first high tolerance, precision molded parts built by RPM were for the commercial and medical industries, where accuracy is critical.

What happened to this.

Its not that they can't do the process to stop the bubbles its a cost item so how much more are you willing to pay for them because the cost has to go some were.

This is were Arrma being a larger company with a larger manufacturing scale might be making them better. I don't want to say one way or the other as I like how the RPM arms on the front give just a little more A frame shape and fix some of the steering slop in the 6S rigs. But I have not broken and EXB set yet just put them on my talion XL with a bullet proof chassis so ill find out fast its a heavy one. Did not like the sag on the none EXB arm really see it on this heavy of a rig.

the v5 arms are almost bulletproof. Rpm is a gimmik nowadays. They are sometimes a complete downgrade From stock.
Many of the first high tolerance, precision molded parts built by RPM were for the commercial and medical industries, where accuracy is critical.

What happened to this.

Its not that they can't do the process to stop the bubbles its a cost item so how much more are you willing to pay for them because the cost has to go some were.

This is were Arrma being a larger company with a larger manufacturing scale might be making them better. I don't want to say one way or the other as I like how the RPM arms on the front give just a little more A frame shape and fix some of the steering slop in the 6S rigs. But I have not broken and EXB set yet just put them on my talion XL with a bullet proof chassis so ill find out fast its a heavy one. Did not like the sag on the none EXB arm really see it on this heavy of a rig.
Quality control is expensive

Seriously though, I get that colder weather can make plastic break easier, I get that, but they should have all that info on their warranty page / tech notes, they don't even seem to give any jumping height limits. Normal operating conditions is extremely vague for these style RC vehicles.

I mean it is what it is, just browsing and thought I'd comment. 😅
it took a direct hit on -20 to finally snap my first v5 arm on my notorious

DA0306ED-4196-4000-869C-CEA53FBA0EE1.jpeg

But i think therein lies the problem. Plenty of good data in the forum about RPM arms breaking (though not for all models). So the claim of "bullet proof" plastic is misleading if your products aren't consistently better than stock or only apply to select few models/trucks.

That's marketing for ya :poop:

They do come out with a few nice things now and then but I all ways want to make them more like there new HD wing mount system I want it to have pins for the arrma wheelie bar wheels and metal sleeves.

I thought I was taking it easy with a 6' jump lol. It was 45 degrees outside. 😭
In my experience RPM arms shatter like glass in temperatures below 50°F. I broke dozens before I actually accepted that fact.. 🤪

I might be remembering this through rose tinted glasses but I seem to remember my first time in the hobby about 15+ years ago, RPM were the go to upgrade and their warranty was a relatively no questions asked you break it we replace it.

I could be wrong. Back then they were also a step improvement over pretty much any OEM arm. They were bulletproof on my Losi LST and a go to upgrade for loads. I don't know if quality has gone down, or the speed, weight and size of jumps have all increased past the limits of their plastics, but they seem to have lost their way. The RPM knuckles on my MERV pop out with a stiff breeze.

OEM plastics these days are phenomenal on a lot of rigs. What used to be a requirement just doesn't seem necessary these days

I might be remembering this through rose tinted glasses but I seem to remember my first time in the hobby about 15+ years ago, RPM were the go to upgrade and their warranty was a relatively no questions asked you break it we replace it.

I could be wrong. Back then they were also a step improvement over pretty much any OEM arm. They were bulletproof on my Losi LST and a go to upgrade for loads. I don't know if quality has gone down, or the speed, weight and size of jumps have all increased past the limits of their plastics, but they seem to have lost their way. The RPM knuckles on my MERV pop out with a stiff breeze.

OEM plastics these days are phenomenal on a lot of rigs. What used to be a requirement just doesn't seem necessary these days
Yup, the good ol' days.
Didn't use to jump these things 30ft in the air though, and had crappy NiCd batteries that have the power of a limp snake in the winter.

Looks like RPM changed their recipe for the worse.

Yup, the good ol' days.
Didn't use to jump these things 30ft in the air though, and had crappy NiCd batteries that have the power of a limp snake in the winter.

Looks like RPM changed their recipe for the worse.
Was all about the nitro those days. But even a fast nitro basher is the equivalent of what, a 3s maybe 4s rig on a good day?

A Whole lot More Power & Speed are available these days.. in even the basic 3S lines ,let alone the 6S.. as compared to what was out on market a decade or so ago.

The plastics formulations from OEM have now reach beyond what was achieved by such "upgrade" providers from back then.

RPM and other similar companies Need to up their game..
Or soon even regular joe 3D guy will be able to produce Better & Tougher plastic parts at home. 🤫😸👊

Last edited:
I decided to upgrade my arms on my V5 Talion with RPM EXB arms and I had 2 sets of rear arms break within 5 minutes of using them. After looking at them closely after I noticed that there were air pockets in the arms where they cracked (see photos). I emailed RPM and they stated that I was using them in an extreme manor and they would not warrantee them. Am I wrong to think that jumping a 1/8 scale vehicle no higher than my head is not extreme?

Here is a quote from their response to me:
"Small air pockets are common and acceptable in thick, molded components. We don't use vacuum assist on our injection molding machines so small air bubbles are inescapable. When used under normal operating conditions, those air pockets would not be a problem. It's only during extreme use that they ever come to light.

You defined a "small" jump as one that doesn't go higher than your head. In no way is that a "small" jump. That's 6' of air pancaking onto flat ground in temperatures roughly 10° over freezing. Unfortunately, the conditions you're using your vehicle in are considered "extreme" and outside the bounds of the RPM warranty program. Our warranty policy is basically a modified materials and workmanship policy that includes coverage for breaks that probably shouldn't have happened. Head height and higher jumps onto flat ground, especially in cold temperatures, tend to fall outside of those qualifiers
."

View attachment 281860
View attachment 281861
View attachment 281862
I have noticed that the black ones are not as strong as the stock arms. They always break in that same area. It appears they snap together and are just covered in a thin outer plastic.

RPM makes great parts for 1/10th scale cars. Once you get a rig bigger/heavier, their parts fail. That is my personal experience anyway.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back