Security Systems - Recommendations?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jerold

Very Active Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Limitless
Way off topic but I know there are a lot of smart people.

Any recommendation for Security Systems?

We have Simplisafe and it's utter crap. It worked fine for about a year. The last three months it's been flaky and I don't trust it anymore. Every week, it's reset this, reconfigure that, something is wrong but no one can tell me why. Last night the base station said something and turned into a brick with a fancy blue light. This is not a life saving device.

Nothing with Alexa, Google, Siri or other connected AIs that listen to my conversations.
Preferably something I can install in a weekend and is wireless.
I'm happy to pay for monitoring if it's reasonable.
Quality is more important than the cost.

Glock has a couple nice systems. If your really worried the S&W .500 or a desert eagle .50 ae will also do the trick.

Not automated.
Not wireless.
Makes stains on your property.
Makes too much noise to wake your good neighbors.

How many cameras do you need?

I personally gotten a POE based security cam system, pulled new Ethernet cables to the cameras (yes, it was a hassle and pain to go thru the attic and walls) but worth it.
If you want a reliable and stable system.

I have mine setup to cover the backyard and blind spots of our house.

this is what ive been using for about 2 yrs now. no service contracts, can move and view on android app.

REOLINK Security Camera Wireless Outdoor, Pan Tilt Solar Powered with 2K Night Vision, 2.4/5 GHz Wi-Fi, 2-Way Talk, Works with Alexa/Google Assistant for Home Surveillance, Argus PT + Solar Panel https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07W6PXRR8

Last edited:
I have a ring doorbell that came with our house. I see all the time people on the user group for the neighborhood showing the camera capturing some guy in a mask stealing or whatever occurred.

That brings up the question, when these punks are wearing a mask.... what are you expecting to gain from the system?

As others were mentioning a deterrent like a German Shepard would work much better.

If you just want a camera system I hear Wyze is pretty good.

Glock has a couple nice systems. If you’re really worried the S&W .500 or a desert eagle .50 ae will also do the trick.
Glocks are garbage, I’m not going to support an apartheid Israeli manufacturer for the already ridiculous Desert Eagle .50, and would never even consider that severely limited (five rounds 😂😂😂) S&W revolver.
I’ll stick to an extremely intelligent and extraordinarily accurate Min Pin alert system (her name is Mila) backed up by my proven Beretta PS4 full-size chambered in .45 ACP and/or my trusty Remington Model 870 12 gauge pump with a beautiful walnut stock and an 18” barrel.
Unless the interlopers laid siege to my property, there would never even be a reason to open the vault and bring out the heavy hitters. But if I did, you’d be seeing that sh*t on CNN. Just saying…I’m a well armed liberal. 😊

Every home in our area came with ring doorbells from the builder and it does not stop the punks/criminals.
Unfortunately that’s very true. There are now so many cameras everywhere that perpetrators commonly ignore them, much as we all ignore car alarms now.

Ring has a great alarm system.
I replaced my old ADT alarm w/ a Ring security system and it works great!
I can look at my cameras, arm/disarm my house, and get notified when there is a problem.

Another awesome thing is the installation was pretty dang easy.

Highly recommended.

Last edited:
I was looking at getting surveillance cameras for my place and had a guy come down for an inspection, he quoted me $800 just for the installation. I was looking for something to deter someone from robbing me not an excuse.

I found out about the Ring cameras and got two. If you already have an exterior light (junction box), wifi and a smartphone it’s all you really need. I was able to install these myself. As others here have already said it may not deter others but it does let you know in real time wether you’re inside at home or not, If you have data access/cell coverage you will be alerted someone is on your property. It does offer a subscription service (that you don’t have to do) that will keep video files stored for sixty days for I think $60/year.

Also as a Canadian we are… WERE allowed to own handguns that we were only allowed to use at designated ranges, we’d never be allowed to use them to defend ourselves or especially protect our property.

“Call the police and wait for help”

Last edited:
Way off topic but I know there are a lot of smart people.

Any recommendation for Security Systems?

We have Simplisafe and it's utter crap. It worked fine for about a year. The last three months it's been flaky and I don't trust it anymore. Every week, it's reset this, reconfigure that, something is wrong but no one can tell me why. Last night the base station said something and turned into a brick with a fancy blue light. This is not a life saving device.

Nothing with Alexa, Google, Siri or other connected AIs that listen to my conversations.
Preferably something I can install in a weekend and is wireless.
I'm happy to pay for monitoring if it's reasonable.
Quality is more important than the cost.
PM @jondilly1974 (y)

I use Arlo. Formally Netgear.
https://www.arlo.com/en-us/home?gcl...OudeVwD8FSznt0_Qwu4aAguGEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

It's wireless AND it works with Apple Home Kit which means it has very high encryption security. (very few wireless devices are Home Kit compliant for security reasons). And there is NO Siri or Alexa. No voice commands.

You hardwire the base station to your router and the encrypted cameras connect wirelessly to the base station.

You can also put memory cards in the base station and have months of video stored locally.
You can ALSO subscribe to their service (I don't) for extra benefits.

Has a Siren and message alerts.

Mines been running for like 5 years now. 6 cameras both inside and out.

Also as a Canadian we are… WERE allowed to own handguns that we were only allowed to use at designated ranges, we’d never be allowed to use them to defend ourselves or especially protect our property.

“Call the police and wait for help”
Really? That was not my understanding. I didn’t know that. But if Trudeau ever finally comes around to reason and decides to annex VT, I guess I’ll sell my arsenal for a substantial profit on the streets of Holyoke, MA and Hartford, CT and jump on that socialized healthcare bandwagon, baby!
I’d miss my Beretta, though…
I use Arlo. Formally Netgear.
https://www.arlo.com/en-us/home?gcl...OudeVwD8FSznt0_Qwu4aAguGEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

It's wireless AND it works with Apple Home Kit which means it has very high encryption security. (very few wireless devices are Home Kit compliant for security reasons). And there is NO Siri or Alexa. No voice commands.

You hardwire the base station to your router and the encrypted cameras connect wirelessly to the base station.

You can also put memory cards in the base station and have months of video stored locally.
You can ALSO subscribe to their service (I don't) for extra benefits.

Has a Siren and message alerts.

Mines been running for like 5 years now. 6 cameras both inside and out.
That sounds good! I like the approach of a totally local system. I might check that out, as I’m not really happy with the SimpliSafe things I’ve heard. I received a basic system as a gift, and haven’t installed it. Maybe I could sell it NIB and buy up some Arlo.

Really? That was not my understanding. I didn’t know that. But if Trudeau ever finally comes around to reason and decides to annex VT, I guess I’ll sell my arsenal for a substantial profit on the streets of Holyoke, MA and Hartford, CT and jump on that socialized healthcare bandwagon, baby!
I’d miss my Beretta, though…
Trudeau is Bold Face Liar!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back