Kraton Shock standoff breaking during install

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dc_123

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
Hey everyone. So I’ve had trouble with one of my front shock standoffs. It first came loose, the screw was bent and stripped. I fixed it and it came loose again. When I took it apart this time I noticed the hole it goes through in the shock tower was worn out to a slight oval instead of a circle. Now I went to swap it out with the EXB standoffs, two of them in a row snapped when I was installing them. Once when I was tightening the nut on the back of the tower and once when I was tightening the nut on the front with the shock on (and it snapped in the back again). I don’t think I was over tightening. Is that tower trash now? And could the slightly oval hole have something to do with it? The concept of that standoff almost seems seeker to me. And are the EXB towers the same but just red or are they actually a stronger aluminum?
3CB6B18C-E5A2-426C-B348-E3CBBDA6B846.jpeg
41CCB366-FFC2-4B5C-B0D0-BFAB347E641F.jpeg
A22CD382-B48C-4BA8-BC99-46A44377F2FD.jpeg

The exb standoff’s haven’t been the best route. M2C has a far superior product at a cost but I haven’t broken one yet. But I have seen the break in extreme situations.

Get some losi 3x28 screws and use that. I consider the stabd off screw to be a fuze part. Inexpensive and cost little when they bend or break. The exb ones are junk and im not drilling my shock towers for bigger ones. Would i like tk break a stand off or put more leverage on the shock tower and potentially bend it?

They shouldn't just snap off like that from installation. I've had them bend but not break, and they do bend easily. It's a long screw and only supported by one side. If the hole is wallowed out, the stand off could have been loose.

If they are used they could have been damaged. If they are new you probably over tightened them or cross threaded something. If you can unthread any of it and look at the threads, you may see the failure or evidence of what happened. See if the threads buggered (cross threaded) or stretched/inconsistent (over torqued). These are M3 screws and the torque is less than 1n-m or about 7 in-lbs. That's like snug and no play.

There are two parts to this assembly, the stand off and the nylo-nut. The stand off keeps the screw inplace and attached to the shock tower. The nylo-nut keeps the shock on the shaft. Tighten each one separately.

You will need to push the screw in, then the thread the stand off. Use a dab of thread lock and don't make it too tight. Then install the shock with the nylo-nut on the outside without thread lock. Again snug and no play. If you have the stand off tight you probably can tighten the nylo-nut without a hex bit, but use it anyway. Turn the nut, not the screw.

I hope that helps.

Thanks everyone. So, after reading Jerolds comments about the torque, I think I may have been overtightening. Either way, from other comments as well, they seem to be pretty weak. I think I am going to go with what Surchaufeur said with getting some of the 2x28 screws in bulk for now. Should I not use that hole anymore and swap out the tower for something so minor? And are the EXB towers actually stronger aluminum or just red??

I would buy the M2C standoffs. They require you drill the hole out to 4mm and since the existing hole is already compromised drilling it out to 4mm will make it like new again.

cheers,
kev

Thanks everyone. So, after reading Jerolds comments about the torque, I think I may have been overtightening. Either way, from other comments as well, they seem to be pretty weak. I think I am going to go with what Surchaufeur said with getting some of the 2x28 screws in bulk for now. Should I not use that hole anymore and swap out the tower for something so minor? And are the EXB towers actually stronger aluminum or just red??

It looks like the EXB is a bit different shape? These are from the Amain site
https://www.amainhobbies.com/arrma-...r-black-l-ara330222/p409488#tab-compatibility
https://www.amainhobbies.com/arrma-...ower-red-ara320580/p1237186#tab-compatibility

1678738313608.png

My assumption would be they are the same material, but it appears the EXB lacks "the wings", which changes the shock angle. The shock angle changes the handling and damping, but I don't see that as a reliability upgrade. That is all based on a guess and I'm sure others will have different opinions.

I would buy the M2C standoffs. They require you drill the hole out to 4mm and since the existing hole is already compromised drilling it out to 4mm will make it like new again.

cheers,
kev
This makes sense, more material will be tougher.

It looks like the EXB is a bit different shape? These are from the Amain site
https://www.amainhobbies.com/arrma-...r-black-l-ara330222/p409488#tab-compatibility
https://www.amainhobbies.com/arrma-...ower-red-ara320580/p1237186#tab-compatibility

View attachment 285126
My assumption would be they are the same material, but it appears the EXB lacks "the wings", which changes the shock angle. The shock angle changes the handling and damping, but I don't see that as a reliability upgrade. That is all based on a guess and I'm sure others will have different opinions.

This makes sense, more material will be tougher.
You must have a pre V5 model, if you want to use the EXB shock towers you should also get the V5 a arms to keep the correct suspension angles.

And yeah general consensus is the EXB shock stand offs suck.

cheers,
kev
Good point!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back