Should i return these Lipos?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There’s a chart floating around that I can’t find right now. It shows real-world C-rating testing of most major battery brands and product lines.

CNHL 90C product line was actually number one if I remember correctly. Highest of any battery tested, and the testing included a bunch of batteries with 100C+ claimed ratings. CNHL and SMC dominated the chart overall.
I'd be curious to see how ONYX stacks up. Gut instinct tells me they'd be top of the heap. I hope whoever compiles these lists gets around to testing them sometime.

I'd be curious to see how ONYX stacks up. Gut instinct tells me they'd be top of the heap. I hope whoever compiles these lists gets around to testing them sometime.
I can't believe how expensive those batteries are. It's like almost 200$ per 4s pack :eek: :eek:

Amazon has great customer service and will take anything back. That protection is the only reason I feel safe buying cheap lipos from Amazon.

Start the return. And buy some other batteries quick before cyber monday ends.

I just bought a pair of these. Not as good of a deal but should be much higher quality.
I have the 4s CNHL versions. Got in on a good sale last Dec. Now they are up there in price. I Paid less for my 4s ones than your your 3s ones.
These are great packs. The IR's and all.

To the OP,
I would check IR's with another device. Also check IR's when Fully charged. Cycle them once to see. I see IR's improve/ are lower when fully charged. And More consistent across all the cells.
AMZ never wanted the old lipos back In my case. Just refunded me. I've gotten dud new lipos before. Many different brands. Some even brand names. It happens. From my exper., they are banned for returns according to their policy for Haz mat goods. Told me to discard recycle them as NG, as not safe to use or transport. Last time I did this a year ago. Large WattHour lipos are very restricted for transporting . And HazMat shipping is very costly for the seller. I imagine why they told me to toss them without returning mine. If you get a lipo that doesn't check out. It's considered defective/ damaged and HM Law states it cannot be shipped. The risk is too high. Even with Ground transportation.

Last edited:
I have the 4s CNHL versions. Got in on a good sale last Dec. Now they are up there in price. I Paid less for my 4s ones than your your 3s ones.

To the OP,
I would check IR's with another device. Also check IR's when Fully charged. Cycle them once to see. I see IR's improve/ are lower when fully charged. And More consistent across all the cells.
AMZ never wanted the old lipos back In my case. Just refunded me. I've gotten dud new lipos before. Many different brands. Some even brand names. It happens. From my exper., they are banned for returns according to their policy for Haz mat goods. Told me to discard recycle them as NG, as not safe to use or transport. Last time I did this a year ago. Large WattHour lipos are very restricted for transporting . And HazMat shipping is very costly for the seller. I imagine why they told me to toss them without returning mine. If you get a lipo that doesn't check out. It's considered defective/ damaged and HM Law states it cannot be shipped. The risk is too high. Even with Ground transportation.
This is funny, amazon made me ship mine back because one set I got had a really bad smell (smelled like sweet electrolyte). I warned them the packs were not safe. They wanted them back anyways.

In this case the construction of the new packs may be slightly different altering initial readings. Would be curious to see how they perform, how they storage charge, and if that IR changes over time.

Also like @SrC was saying to see the readings when full vs. empty.

IR's of cells in a pack are rarely exactly the same from test to test. But usually close.

I had lipos with that "sweet" smell of of Lithium polymer before.
The smell was so strong it smelled up the whole house. I left it outside on my patio table for a day or so. Still smelled badly. Like it was out gassing.
Cells were not balanced well like new ones should be.
I did some research and found that the smell should NOT be there that one or more of the cells are breached. I called Ace of gens Tech supp. It wasn't their lipo however. I asked them and they said it should not smell at all. The lipo brand was actually a Yoowoo.
The Lipo should not be left in the home like this. The seller agreed and said to discard the lipo safely. And initially AMZ wanted me to send it back to them since it was AMZ fullfilled. I started the return process, and saw a list of items that are not to be returned. HazMat related goods. And it included Lipo's and similar devices that are damaged or defective. AMZ issued a refund, but then a month later billed me again for it, because they did not get the lipo back to them. I called them and escalated it, they apologized and refunded me and gave me a gift card for 25$ for my trouble.
Lipos should Not smell at all when they are new. If so, they were poorly made, probably low grade cells. According to Gens of Ace. I have many of this brand also. A good brand, good tech support.

Last edited:

To the OP,
I might try checking IR with my Hota D6+ tonight, just for curiosities sake. I will agree that the b6ac seems to aim higher for IR measurements. But i have no intention of keeping these lipos anyway. Even at the "good black friday deal" price I got them at. Even though I know the IR will be slightly lower when the pack reaches full charge, i wouldn't expect them to drop below 10 mOhm per pack. And I'm not interested in lipos that perform like they are several years old when they are brand new. I did measure another pack with my b6ac and it checked out fine.

Even if Amazon said they didn't want the lipos back, i probably wouldn't run them. Maybe in my son's geared down Granite at most.
This is funny, amazon made me ship mine back because one set I got had a really bad smell (smelled like sweet electrolyte). I warned them the packs were not safe. They wanted them back anyways.

In this case the construction of the new packs may be slightly different altering initial readings. Would be curious to see how they perform, how they storage charge, and if that IR changes over time.

Also like @SrC was saying to see the readings when full vs. empty.
Coincidentally, Amazon asked me to return the lipos. That's fine, it's a UPS return, so once i scan that return code at the UPS store and they take the box from me, it's UPS's problem and they can work out with amazon the proper return method. Funny enough, in the "reason for return" i put "because the IR is so high that they are a fire hazard."

If you make it all about safety, you can usually get your way.

@SrC and @RCbuzz, your inspiration to do more testing proved very revelatory. I tested the packs on the Hota and then again on the b6ac. I also immediately after tested one my 6 month old Hoovo's that I have thrashed. The results were rather eye opening. I think they speak for themselves.
20221130_202038.jpg
20221130_202225.jpg
20221130_202414.jpg
20221130_202521.jpg
20221130_202820.jpg
20221130_202903.jpg

Keep in mind, the old hoovos have also been sitting out in the 40 degrees garage and are also at storage charge. Same as the new hoovo's.

Rather interesting, I wonder what Hoovo has to say about this. I am thinking they are either defective or they are using a different manufacturing process that would yield a higher initial IR. They are almost spot on per cell..

In the lead acid industry you can have different initial IR's (within a range of course), it's the rate of change over time that you look at. For lithium I am not sure 🤔.

LA ( lead acid) and lipo are different animals altogether.
It is known that the best Lipos have the lowest IR's, even after repeated cycles. Degrading slowly ( normally Higher IR's with age and use)
Graphene lipos seem to have among the lowest and consistent IR's from my experience.
I think keeping lipos stored in a very DRY and cool climate ( 70F) makes them last longer during storage.
High Humidity tends to ruin them more so, than Hi or Low Temps, just sitting unused over time.

Rather interesting, I wonder what Hoovo has to say about this. I am thinking they are either defective or they are using a different manufacturing process that would yield a higher initial IR. They are almost spot on per cell..

In the lead acid industry you can have different initial IR's (within a range of course), it's the rate of change over time that you look at. For lithium I am not sure 🤔.
No idea what changed. I'm fairly convinced this isn't a "bad batch" situation, as the numbers are too consistent. I don't dare run these in my kraton, although I'm very curious as to how they'd perform.

No idea what changed. I'm fairly convinced this isn't a "bad batch" situation, as the numbers are too consistent. I don't dare run these in my kraton, although I'm very curious as to how they'd perform.
Only one way to find out :)

Probably like 💩🤣

I just checked my brand new socokin and tbh the IR is the worst out of all my packs.

1669931426941.png

I'm not happy with it but I assume this is considered acceptable? I guess they are cheap packs. This is my first charge...

I just checked my brand new socokin and tbh the IR is the worst out of all my packs.

View attachment 259697

I'm not happy with it but I assume this is considered acceptable? I guess they are cheap packs. This is my first charge...
I don't think that's terrible. Look at my "old" hoovo numbers. Those packs IMO are completely acceptable for what I do. Would I attempt speed running with them? absolutely not. But they don't hit low voltage early, and the packs don't hit unacceptably high temperatures after a run--so they are still fine.

As long as your packs meet those needs, i'd run them. I just know that the 30mOhms I was seeing on my new hoovo packs is going to cause issues and a potential fire hazard. that's waaaay too high.

I don't think that's terrible. Look at my "old" hoovo numbers. Those packs IMO are completely acceptable for what I do. Would I attempt speed running with them? absolutely not. But they don't hit low voltage early, and the packs don't hit unacceptably high temperatures after a run--so they are still fine.

As long as your packs meet those needs, i'd run them. I just know that the 30mOhms I was seeing on my new hoovo packs is going to cause issues and a potential fire hazard. that's waaaay too high.
The packs actually evened out a bit and dropped some when the voltage neared 4.2

Think I was freaking out for nothing :ROFLMAO:

The packs actually evened out a bit and dropped some when the voltage neared 4.2

Think I was freaking out for nothing :ROFLMAO:
My ISDT does that too the ir evens out and lowers a little bit as the voltage gets closer to 4.2v.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back