Kraton Slider chassis builds

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

332_RC

Very Active Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Gorgon
  2. Infraction
  3. Kraton 6s
  4. Notorious
  5. Senton 3s
  6. Infraction 4x4
I've been looking at ideas to build a new rig using a slider. Kraton or maybe Infraction 6s or 3s. Seen new & used of all models. But no matter how I crunch the numbers I can't see getting it done cheaper than a new one of same model just new- not upgraded. Mind you that the slider would have the chosen components I want like upgraded motor or servo. But new is new. Anybody like the slider builds over new any day because of parts choices or always grab new & upgrade

To me it works best to wait for a 10% off deal to come at King Cobra, save the sales tax and get 10% off and then strip/sell what you don’t want or need. A scratch build is fun, but you end up buying so many little factory pieces that it gets expensive quick.

I'm with ya.. I am trying to find an 8s roller..all I find are sliders.. the landscape has changed apparently? I mean, back when ebay was loaded with rollers, which would include tires and often times the body..now, all I find are $600 sliders. Well, even if I build one out on the cheap, I could've bought an rtr for the same or less. Or, just buy the rtr and sell off the parts I intend to upgrade..
I'm in a bit of a different use category than most here are though, I don't bash my rc's very hard, so stock is usually good enough for me. I only upgrade after breaking or wearing out something. But yeah, sliders are one way to go that makes sense for people who know they want upgrades straight away. Used? Nah, unless I know who and how it's been used, otherwise a gamble I'd prefer not to take myself.

I like sliders for a few reasons.. 1) They allow you to stretch out the amount of money you spend on a rig over more time. Instead of plunking down $700 all at once, you can spread it out and buy the components you need as the build progresses. 2) It's a more hands on & "intimate" experience. Running a completed rig that you built & put together yourself is an extremely satisfying feeling, and you end up knowing the rig inside & out. 3) You get to pick the components that are installed. Yes, quite often a build from a slider can end up costing more than the RTR in the end, but I guess that's when you have to decide what part of that equation matters the most to you.

honestly, i am planning on buying a typhon 6s chassis off of jennys and making a "WTB" post here listing all the parts i need. if yalls could sell them for a good price, your spare parts could become part of my new 6s typhon!
just an idea, im wondering what you guys think of it.

I like sliders for a few reasons.. 1) They allow you to stretch out the amount of money you spend on a rig over more time. Instead of plunking down $700 all at once, you can spread it out and buy the components you need as the build progresses. 2) It's a more hands on & "intimate" experience. Running a completed rig that you built & put together yourself is an extremely satisfying feeling, and you end up knowing the rig inside & out. 3) You get to pick the components that are installed. Yes, quite often a build from a slider can end up costing more than the RTR in the end, but I guess that's when you have to decide what part of that equation matters the most to you.
Good points. Doesn't really fit my style but, I can appreciate what you're saying.
If kits were still available, I'd choose to build my own every time no doubt. Unfortunately the only kits really available these days are uber expensive race rigs. I did buy and build 2 Tekno's, MT410 and SCT410.3., but they are the cheapest Tekno kits, which is why I chose them. Then proceeded to install the cheapest stuff I could find in them!!🤣🤣

Or you could build a Kraton from scratch…. Never mind, that is stupid expensive. Don’t ask me how I know…🤣
But seriously, if you’re patient, and don’t mind waiting for the finished product, you can build your dream truck to your spec, exactly the way you want it, with no compromises. When it’s done, you’ll have the perfect truck
IMG_0665.jpeg

My view is, if realistically you are going to replace everything anyways the less you buy up front the less ends up in your junk bin. What's your end goal, a super truck or a hopped up stocky? I think the deciding factor is how much of the starter truck you plan on using.

I have a Notorious I bought new a year ago. I've upgraded some things to make it better IMO. I would think I would do the same to a Kraton. I love the Notorious but want a LWB. So I'm at that point. Not a super truck jumping 100 feet, not a stocker either. I bash the crap out of my Noto but I don't tear it up. I figured I could get a slider & go that route. And I like to paint the shells custom too.

my goal,
my first 6s rig.
Then FB marketplace and eBay can be your friend. The cool thing about the Arrma 6s line is that they’re all basically the same truck, just minor differences. You can cherry pick the parts you like from each one and build a mutant. Peeps are selling parts on marketplace all the time, dirt cheap.

+1 on spreading the cost out!

I've done this a bunch of times.. I always appreciate the rc more when I built it from parts also. Makes it more special.

+1 on spreading the cost out!

I've done this a bunch of times.. I always appreciate the rc more when I built it from parts also. Makes it more special.
Yep. It feels like a special occasion every time you take it out. The Superleggera is my favorite rig by far, because 1. It’s a huge departure from the truck it’s based on. It drives different, looks different, and it’s all by my spec. And 2. Because I built it. I chose every part carefully, I spent a long time planning it, I built it for me, and nobody else. This thing is the crown jewel of my collection. I had to modify parts, and make things fit that shouldn’t be able to.

Building your own custom rig from scratch is absolutely something that everybody in this hobby should do at least once. It’s so worth it.

Used to be also id find really good deals with the parts breakers if you watch and wait. So if you wait for random really good deals you can spend a lot less...

I think I had $90 total in building a nitro slash (last thing I built from ground up) aside for the motor and radio.
I actually bought 3 of each part cause the deal was so good and built 2 of them. Got most the parts still I could build another.

An example was I paid $5 each for complete transmissions. Bought 3 for $15. Lower chassis was 2.50 I think. Etc.

Keep an eye on many breakers and watch for good deals. If you are patient you might get what you need for a really good price.

Edit- forgot about the body. Wound up paying 24 for a mike Jenkins version so it was actually closer to 115 spent.

20220705_215116.jpg

My view is, if realistically you are going to replace everything anyways the less you buy up front the less ends up in your junk bin. What's your end goal, a super truck or a hopped up stocky? I think the deciding factor is how much of the starter truck you plan on using.
Not disagreeing, but that's the spares bin, not the junk bin.😁 They all break or wear out regardless of how upgraded they are.
I'm all about bang for the buck myself. I take pride in building them out cheap. My sct410.3 came in right around $500, mt410 around $700. Each is easily better than any rtr on the market in their respective classes, in performance, durability and value. I get high off of that.👍😁😎

Is the outcast/ notorious body narrower than the Kraton body?

Then FB marketplace and eBay can be your friend. The cool thing about the Arrma 6s line is that they’re all basically the same truck, just minor differences. You can cherry pick the parts you like from each one and build a mutant. Peeps are selling parts on marketplace all the time, dirt cheap.
i think im gonna get a typhon 6s chassis off jennys then find parts.
could be interesting.....
i don't have enough money to splurge at once.

Is the outcast/ notorious body narrower than the Kraton body?
Think they're roughly the same. Wheelbase is the biggest difference I think.
Not a bad plan. FWIW, both the Typhon 6s blx and TLR Typhon rtr's are @$419. Aside from having another radio I don't need, that's alot of rc for the money.. that's how they get us..🤣🤣

Looks like 49mm longer wheelbase I think
I've found some great prices on jennys. Just stock stuff but sometimes that's all you need.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back