Typhon Slipper clutch slipping

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bscheife

Reaction score
My slipper clutch is tightened all the way down, but it still seems to be slipping pretty freely. I can barely get much acceleration out of my Typhon but it's ok once it's up to speed. And I'm pretty sure I can hear the clutch slipping too. At this point, will some new pads bring it back into shape, or is it better not to bother taking it apart and just order an entirely new slipper clutch? What do others do in this case? I've never opened up a slipper clutch before. Thanks for any feedback.

Oh should have mentioned that — it’s the BLX 3S. The newest version (V3??)

Take the power module out and check you slipper. Could be a number of things, worn slipper, loose slipper, or maybe a broke slipper hub! 🤷‍♂️ Take it apart and take a look. Pretty simple to work on. Good luck.

FYI, the V3 has the nut and shouldn't come loose!:unsure:

After experimenting with different slipper settings recently, the slipper nut that holds the screw would no longer hold. I got a new slipper nut and it's fine. With your symptoms, it sounds like your slipper nut may not be holding.

thanks for all the tips. Has anyone had to replace the wear plates -- is that a thing with these clutches?

Replacing pads is easy, there's a diagram in the instructions that came with your Typhon. But I doubt it's the pads, they last a very long time. If anything they slip less over time. I recently replaced mine after a year, but it probably wasn't even necessary.

But definitely open up your power module and check your slipper. None of us can know what's wrong for sure. Knowing how to open up, diagnose and fix problems is a necessary part of the hobby. Your symptoms of not being able to accelerate hard but being OK once at speed suggests a loose slipper. A whining noise when trying to accelerate is characteristic of a loose slipper. But if it's a clicking/grinding noise, then it's the spur, input or differential gears.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back