Granite Some Beginner RC Questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VMan

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. 4x4-Mega
Hey All,

So, off the bat, I have a few questions that I am hoping I can get a help on, here we go -

1. Ok, so I am running the truck and for some reason, it doesn't go 100% straight, even when the steering trim is in NEUTRAL, for some reason it still pulls a bit to the left? Has anyone had this happen to them? I am not bashing it at all, just around the basement but I dunno, I cannot get it to go fully straight

The only way, I got it to go straight for a bit is with the following settings on the transmitter attached
20200109_215313.jpg

But I am unsure if this is optimal operation settings or not?

I don't know if I should try Surchaufeur fix on this thread: https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/granite-steering-issues.15178/#post-191971 (loosen your steering link under the car if its too tight)

Youtube was mentioning endpoints and also toe adjustments, both of which i do not know how to do and the manual (Arrma and STX2) does not mention it either

2. Can someone explain what the following means, I see it on my transmitter (STX2)
Throttle Trim
Throttle Rate
What is the difference between these and the Throttle Limit? I understand that the throttle limit, retracts the power that is sent to the wheels from the motor, so your not going all out on the lowest setting (especially for kids)

Steering Trim
Steering Rate

What does the servo reversing option do on the transmitter. I downloaded the manual for the STX2 but it does not really tell me anything and could not find anything on youtube either

3. Why is it that we must turn on the transmitter first and then the truck and vice versa for turning it off?

4. I know in my intro thread, it was recommended to upgrade the battery, I have been searching the net and also the recommended upgrade thread and was wondering, IF I go LIPO or stick to the NIMH, would I need to get adapters for the batteries as I cannot find many LIPO/NIMH options for the IC3 connectors that come with the ESC on the truck? Any suggestions as I really do not wan to start soldering :)

Thanks!

Last edited:
Congratulations on your new purchase. All the answers you are looking for can be found in the documents that came with your vehicle. But in short.
Leave it at 100. It doesn't act right if not

Trim is to adjust your alignment it is almost never center.

Just leave throttle rate at 100% and steering rate at 75% or you risk burning up the servo.

Radio is first to go on and last to go off to prevent the car from taking off on you.

Stx2 is the model of transmitter. It doesn't have end point adjustment which is why steering rate is at 75%

I wouldn't worry about batteries just yet. Learn the vehicle and how to maintain it properly first.

Looks like @Lovestricken has you covered. I would only add that you will eventually want to go Lipo. And if you plan on staying in the hobby you will inevitably have to learn soldering. You could buy adapters for now (IC3 to whatever connector is on your new battery). But that will eventually not make sense and you would need to cut and solder. There are a ton of videos on soldering and step by steps ones showing everything you will need. I learned soldering the hard way when I was like 12 trying to fix my Tamiyas. Made a lot of mistakes, but kept learning. Now I actually love soldering. When I get new batteries, or want to change out my ESC connectors I love the process.

First, Congrats on your new RC! and no worries about the noob questions, we are here to help...

1. Ok, so I am running the truck and for some reason, it doesn't go 100% straight, even when the steering trim is in NEUTRAL, for some reason it still pulls a bit to the left? Has anyone had this happen to them? I am not bashing it at all, just around the basement but I dunno, I cannot get it to go fully straight
This is normal, and adjusting the knob to make it go straight is exactly why we have that knob. :) if you have to turn the trim knob way to the side, then you may want to make mechanical adjustments, but yours looks fine for now.

2. Can someone explain what the following means, I see it on my transmitter (STX2)

TRIM - this adjusts where "Center" is. like you did with your steering above.
RATE - this is also know as Duel Rate or DR. (easist to explain with steering) Dialing this knob will reduce how far the front wheels turn. Set all the way one way, the servo will turn to the max, probably more than the front wheels can physically turn (more on this in a bit) set all the way the other way, the wheels will barely move. Throttle works the same, dial this knob to slow the truck down. Really, the 50%-75%-100% swicth is just another redundant DR adjustment.

What does the servo reversing option do on the transmitter. I downloaded the manual for the STX2 but it does not really tell me anything and could not find anything on youtube either

If you turn the wheel right, and the truck turns left, you can use the servo reversing switch to fix this.

3. Why is it that we must turn on the transmitter first and then the truck and vice versa for turning it off?

If you turn the car on first, or turn the radio off first, the car is powered on, but is not controlled. Sometimes they will take off on their own, and now you have no way to stop them...

4. I know in my intro thread, it was recommended to upgrade the battery, I have been searching the net and also the recommended upgrade thread and was wondering, IF I go LIPO or stick to the NIMH, would I need to get adapters for the batteries as I cannot find many LIPO/NIMH options for the IC3 connectors that come with the ESC on the truck? Any suggestions as I really do not wan to start soldering

Look for EC3 adaptors - these are compatable with the IC3 plug. On soldering, if you have a LHS (local Hobby Shop) handy, they can solder plugs for you, for probably $5-$10 each.
(more on this in a bit)
If your steering servo is hitting the mechanical limits, the motor can overheat or damage the gears. Dial the DR (rate) down a bit till the servo is no longer hitting the mechanical stops - this will extend the life of the servo.

Awesome, thanks for the reply guys!

OK - So, I didn't realize that the ST (N/R), it came out of the box ST - N, which according to the manual is NOT the default, so when I switched it back to R, it seemed to have corrected the problem a bit. I haven't tried adjusting anything this weekend as Surchaufeur had in his post, but will try to do so tonight when I get off of work.

AND Finally I understand what TRIM, ST, etc means lol. I spoke to one of the hobby shops in the Toronto area where I purchased the truck from, they will be providing some battery updates to me in the coming week or so as they said they will be getting higher cap NIMB and LIPOS in stock with the IC3 connector.

Man, cant wait for the weather to get better to run this thing outside with my kid

Awesome, thanks for the reply guys!

OK - So, I didn't realize that the ST (N/R), it came out of the box ST - N, which according to the manual is NOT the default, so when I switched it back to R, it seemed to have corrected the problem a bit. I haven't tried adjusting anything this weekend as Surchaufeur had in his post, but will try to do so tonight when I get off of work.

AND Finally I understand what TRIM, ST, etc means lol. I spoke to one of the hobby shops in the Toronto area where I purchased the truck from, they will be providing some battery updates to me in the coming week or so as they said they will be getting higher cap NIMB and LIPOS in stock with the IC3 connector.

Man, cant wait for the weather to get better to run this thing outside with my kid
Hey @VMan. Where did you buy the truck? Are you from the area or did you just purchase it from T.O? Glad the other members could help out, as I'm unfamiliar with the STX2 set up. Hope to see you out in one if the many rc playgrounds around the city???

Hey @VMan. Where did you buy the truck? Are you from the area or did you just purchase it from T.O? Glad the other members could help out, as I'm unfamiliar with the STX2 set up. Hope to see you out in one if the many rc playgrounds around the city???
The store is in Mississauga (big boys with cool toys, they are actually pretty cool customer service wise) and I am in the East End (Oshawa Area).

RC playgrounds you say,?!? Whereabouts?

The store is in Mississauga (big boys with cool toys, they are actually pretty cool customer service wise) and I am in the East End (Oshawa Area).

RC playgrounds you say,?!? Whereabouts?
I frequent BBWCT often. There's also Hobby Hobby and Great Hobbies a little further west if you ever need them. We hit skate parks every once and a while, but there's a park near Mississauga Rd and the 407 called Meadowvale where we like to gather for some good bashing. There's a couple of other good spots that aren't exactly legal to enter, but any construction site is an Arrma playground. I think there's a nice outdoor track not far from you. Just Google map rc parks, skate parks or BMX tracks and you'll be amazed what pops up.

I frequent BBWCT often. There's also Hobby Hobby and Great Hobbies a little further west if you ever need them. We hit skate parks every once and a while, but there's a park near Mississauga Rd and the 407 called Meadowvale where we like to gather for some good bashing. There's a couple of other good spots that aren't exactly legal to enter, but any construction site is an Arrma playground. I think there's a nice outdoor track not far from you. Just Google map rc parks, skate parks or BMX tracks and you'll be amazed what pops up.
Good to know! Do you have any store recommendations for the East End?

Good to know! Do you have any store recommendations for the East End?
Only one place I know that carries Arrma in the east. Pinnacle Hobbies in Markham. I would always call first to see if they have what you need. There's AJ Hobbies in Woodbridge, and he carries Arrma as well. I'm working on getting Advance Hobbies at Woodbine and Hwy 7 to start carrying Arrma as well. Hoping that early 2020 he gets his act in gear.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back