Spektrum Smart Batteries

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jzepp

Reaction score
I am still a novice with Lipo batteries that is why i bought a Spektrum S2100 dual Lipo charger and Spektrum batteries. I have 2- 6s batteries. The one is fine but the other one i just noticed when going to charge it, has 3 Fault codes. It says Fault 1: Overcharge, Fault 2: Over Discharge: C1, C2, C3, C4, C5, C6 and Fault 3: Over Temp: High.

So what would or caused this when all i do is plug in my Spektrum Lipo batteries and battery lead until the batteries are fully charged and then use them? SMH!

I am still a novice with Lipo batteries that is why i bought a Spektrum S2100 dual Lipo charger and Spektrum batteries. I have 2- 6s batteries. The one is fine but the other one i just noticed when going to charge it, has 3 Fault codes. It says Fault 1: Overcharge, Fault 2: Over Discharge: C1, C2, C3, C4, C5, C6 and Fault 3: Over Temp: High.

So what would or caused this when all i do is plug in my Spektrum Lipo batteries and battery lead until the batteries are fully charged and then use them? SMH!
I am not familiar with the Spektrum chargers and batteries, so I am sorry to say I can't help you. Maybe the manual for the charger will explain these error codes? Just a thought.

Just curious, do these chargers have a storage mode so you can safely store your batteries? Do they have a discharge or cycle mode to run the batteries through a cycle? Do they read a battery's internal resistance?

The reason I ask is because a lot of people buy LiPo batteries without a clue how to take care of them, or even any thought that they are different from any other battery. And I kinda get the feeling these smart chargers don't completely address this because they negate the need for people new to LiPo batteries to learn about LiPo's and caring for them properly.

For example:
Never run a LiPo below 3v per cell.
Get a battery checker to test your battery cells and keep an eye on them after every single run.
Storage charge your LiPo's when done running them.
Keep an eye on internal resistance. It will show you when your battery is getting ready to go bad.

Not real familiar with smart tech either, but if I had to guess I would say either a faulty connection somewhere, or a bad smart chip in the battery. I know some folks smarter than me will chime in.

Overtemp is from the battery getting too hot during use and Overdischarge is from running the pack too low, like continuing to run after limo mode LVC kicks in on the car.

I've had mine pop up with overcharge once before, but it balanced the cell back to normal by the end of the charge cycle. The fault parameters are fairly relaxed on the SMART batteries. As long as everything balances correctly and the IR's look OK, I wouldn't worry about it. Do make sure to storage charges after use though.

I am not familiar with the Spektrum chargers and batteries, so I am sorry to say I can't help you. Maybe the manual for the charger will explain these error codes? Just a thought.

Just curious, do these chargers have a storage mode so you can safely store your batteries? Do they have a discharge or cycle mode to run the batteries through a cycle? Do they read a battery's internal resistance?

The reason I ask is because a lot of people buy LiPo batteries without a clue how to take care of them, or even any thought that they are different from any other battery. And I kinda get the feeling these smart chargers don't completely address this because they negate the need for people new to LiPo batteries to learn about LiPo's and caring for them properly.

For example:
Never run a LiPo below 3v per cell.
Get a battery checker to test your battery cells and keep an eye on them after every single run.
Storage charge your LiPo's when done running them.
Keep an eye on internal resistance. It will show you when your battery is getting ready to go bad.
Yeah the whole reason i bought Spektrum batteries. I know nothing about how to take care of them. I thought it would be easy as just plug in and it will charge itself. I don't know when im suppose to be storage charging or discharging

Yeah the whole reason i bought Spektrum batteries. I know nothing about how to take care of them. I thought it would be easy as just plug in and it will charge itself. I don't know when im suppose to be storage charging or discharging
I storage charge mine after every run. But I don't run my cars all the time. I'm more of a builder. Any time your LiPo sits fully charged, it is hurting your battery. And you don't want to leave it below 3.8v/cell. If it starts to walk down and goes below 3v/cell it can hurt your battery as well. Best to charge them, run them (staying above 3.2v/per cell when stopping the run), then storage charge them to 3.8v/cell. Get yourself a simple battery checker like this one...

HRB RC Cellmeter 7 Digital Battery Capacity Checker Controller Tester Voltage Tester for LiPo Life Li-ion NiMH Nicd Cell Meter https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QKZ3PP...abc_JTQHQ9ZVV14S4EX988AQ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Yeah the whole reason i bought Spektrum batteries. I know nothing about how to take care of them. I thought it would be easy as just plug in and it will charge itself. I don't know when im suppose to be storage charging

Storage charge anytime you are not going to be using the batteries. LiPos store best at about 30% charge

Lipo safe storage is anywhere between 3.7 to 3.85V. Typical is 3.8V

@Sargent_Horse explained 2 error codes. Spot on.
Overcharge could either be temporary prior balancing or someone charged these without a smart charger and without a balance plug.

Don't run to LVC to avoid the over discharge, stop earlier.
Overheat, slow down, or go with a smaller pinion or be prepared to replace the Lipo's after 1-2 seasons. They should stay below 130F, I frequently go above in the summer myself, but I don't buy expensive ones.
Overcharge, use the correct charger, and that is probably the least of the worries.

So now im a bit nervous. I got the 3s 5oc 5000mah spektrum. For same reason as posted. I just plug and play. I have the super cheap charger tho. no display. LHS "reccomended" it. Anyway. Now I'm gonna get a checker. Ive charged numerous times expecting to run then not. Nvr discharged it. Thought that was thw point of the smart tech?

So now im a bit nervous. I got the 3s 5oc 5000mah spektrum. For same reason as posted. I just plug and play. I have the super cheap charger tho. no display. LHS "reccomended" it. Anyway. Now I'm gonna get a checker. Ive charged numerous times expecting to run then not. Nvr discharged it. Thought that was thw point of the smart tech?
Well according to another post here, the smart batteries auto drain to storage charge? I dunno where the juice goes, but ok? Because when a regular charger discharges a LiPo to storage capacity it turns that extra energy into heat. Do your batteries get warm when they just sit? I have never read up on the smart stuff because I really don't need to I guess. But maybe one day I will try them out. I like that it will display your battery charge remaining on the Spektrum controllers, but I seriously don't like Spektrum controllers. That is probably the main reason I don't use them.

Well according to another post here, the smart batteries auto drain to storage charge? I dunno where the juice goes, but ok? Because when a regular charger discharges a LiPo to storage capacity it turns that extra energy into heat. Do your batteries get warm when they just sit? I have never read up on the smart stuff because I really don't need to I guess. But maybe one day I will try them out. I like that it will display your battery charge remaining on the Spektrum controllers, but I seriously don't like Spektrum controllers. That is probably the main reason I don't use them.
No sir they do not get warm or anything. Im not sure. LHS also told me the auto discharge but over like a week or so span. I myself no idea. But sounds logical to ask where the stored energy goes🤔🤷

The Smart batteries discharge themselves, no need to worry. Typically 7-10 days. I believe that can be adjusted with a smart charger, at least that was the case with DJI drones.
I would get a smart charger.

No sir they do not get warm or anything. Im not sure. LHS also told me the auto discharge but over like a week or so span. I myself no idea. But sounds logical to ask where the stored energy goes🤔🤷
Ok, if it is over 7 days or so, you just wouldn't notice the heat. Good to know.

Correct, the discharge level is set very low, and you won't notice any heat during that process. Yes, there will be some, but it's probably within 1-2F which is unnoticeable.
Never looked at this in detail, but they probably just have a controlled 'leakage' from positive to negative and don't bleed anything into a resistor network.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back