Spektrum "smart" batteries: yay or nay?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm less concerned about simplicity (I have been racing for a while now so I am familiar with the safety protocols) and more about having to buy a third charger and all-new batteries that may have lower performance as a compromise.

I'm less concerned about simplicity (I have been racing for a while now so I am familiar with the safety protocols) and more about having to buy a third charger and all-new batteries that may have lower performance as a compromise.

Yeah if you are already a seasoned rcer there is no point in paying extra coin for all of the Smart tech. And as a side note real world testing shows both the 50c and 100c options from Spektrum having the same exact power output.

Last edited:
Yeah if you are already a seasoned rcer there is no point in paying extra coin for all of the Smart tech. And as a side note real world testing shows both the 50c and 100c options from Spektrum having the same exact power output.
In real world testing they most definitely do perform slightly different.. bet!! 💯
NAY!

Stay away.
You stay away!! 🤣

200w (2).gif

Last edited:
No one is going to the track and racing with Smart Lipos. Or any Smart Spektrum stuff to begin with. Just reality.
All that Smart ECO stuff is just Marketting, for RTR Bashing models. With all the Frilly bells and whistles, that means Zero in reality.
To race you need well performing packs. Some tracks even require Sanctioned lipo packs to compete. Being ROAR approved. Even the Spektrum Firma ESC's are NOT ROAR approved. Seen one YT'er went to race his 1/8 Typhon RTR TLRT at a track, and they would not let him. So he could only run it during Open Practice to showcase his Typhon.:rolleyes: And he is restricted to 4s packs of course. The limit for track running 1/8 buggies.

Edited.

Last edited:
In real world testing they most definitely do perform slightly different.. bet!! 💯

You stay away!! 🤣

Both the "50c" and "100c" Smart lipos have a Real C rate of 25c. There are numerous batteries that cost half as much that give almost twice the performance, this has always and will always be my biggest gripe with the Smart batteries, you pay a premium price for half the performance as dumb lipos. Please explain why someone should intentionally spend more money for less performance?

1691338352262.jpeg

Both the "50c" and "100c" Smart lipos have a Real C rate of 25c. There are numerous batteries that cost half as much that give almost twice the performance, this has always and will always be my biggest gripe with the Smart batteries, you pay a premium price for half the performance as dumb lipos. Please explain why someone should intentionally spend more money for less performance?

View attachment 315679
I'm just telling you what I know, I have compared them many times over the last 2.5 years.. they do indeed perform different between the 50c and 100c.. also the spektrum's I have out perform my cnhl's, zeee's aren't even close.. I have even thought about buying other brands to compare but don't really have money like that.. maybe I should!! 🤔

Also they have always been consistent, but I do agree they are pricey, but if you like the smart tech and knowing how your whole system is performing then it's worth the extra buck to me!! 💯

Last edited:
When you look at the price point of Zeee's compared to the Spektrum's, your theory is questionable. Price versus performance.... Bang for the buck. Zeee's are cleary budget stuff. With the Zeee's, at least you are getting what you paid for.
Just saying.

When you look at the price point of Zeee's compared to the Spektrum's, your theory is questionable. Price versus performance.... Bang for the buck. Zeee's are cleary budget stuff. With the Zeee's, at least you are getting what you paid for.
Just saying.

$70.99 for 2 Zees and $79.99 for 1 Spektrum. That is a hefty price tag for things you can do manually imho.

1691340965170.png

I'm just telling you what I know, I have compared them many times over the last 2.5 years.. they do indeed perform different between the 50c and 100c.. also the spektrum's I have out perform my cnhl's, zeee's aren't even close.. I have even thought about buying other brands to compare but don't really have money like that.. maybe I should!! 🤔

Also they have always been consistent, but I do agree they are pricey, but if you like the smart tech and knowing how your whole system is performing then it's worth the extra buck to me!! 💯
Check out @Greywolf74 he has done testing on lipos. He has a thread over on Rctalk about it with some spreadsheets displaying his results. https://www.rctalk.com/forum/threads/lipo-comparison-thread-lipo-and-nimh-aas.136829/

Also MCSGuy on RCGroups has been testing lipos for 10+ years https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?1767093-Battery-Load-Test-Comparisons

Last edited:
All I know is what I have compared.. zeee, cnhl, and spektrums lol..

$70.99 for 2 Zees and $79.99 for 1 Spektrum. That is a hefty price tag for things you can do manually imho.

View attachment 315694

Check out @Greywolf74 he has done testing on lipos. He has a thread over on Rctalk about it with some spreadsheets displaying his results. https://www.rctalk.com/forum/threads/lipo-comparison-thread-lipo-and-nimh-aas.136829/

Also MCSGuy on RCGroups has been testing lipos for 10+ years https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?1767093-Battery-Load-Test-Comparisons
Manually?
Also how old is that chart, and what's the last column under T?🤔

Last edited:
No one is going to the track and racing with Smart Lipos. Or any Smart Spektrum stuff to begin with. Just reality.
All that Smart ECO stuff is just Marketting, for RTR Bashing models. With all the Frilly bells and whistles, that means Zero in reality.
To race you need well performing packs. Some tracks even require Sanctioned lipo packs to compete. Being ROAR approved. Even the Spektrum Firma ESC's are NOT ROAR approved. Seen one YT'er went to race his 1/8 Typhon RTR TLRT at a track, and they would not let him. So he could only run it during Open Practice to showcase his Typhon.:rolleyes: And he is restricted to 4s packs of course. The limit for track running 1/8 buggies.

Edited.
Don't care for spectrum lipos.
What I do care about is understanding what is the difference between Frilly bells and whistles and just bells and whistles?
I've never heard of these Frilly 🛎 's. ??😉

I would not buy them just for their price tag alone.
Like some others have said here. Learn the do's and don't's of batteries and save your money for more important things like buying another RC.

NAY.

All I know is what I have compared.. zeee, cnhl, and spektrums lol..

Manually?
Also how old is that chart, and what's the last column under T?🤔

Yes aside from self discharging what can you see that you can't find out through other means?

November 2022 you would have to ask @Greywolf74 he made it.

Last edited:
The smart charger I have charges my batteries really fast. I have not had any problems with the 6s 5000 mAh that I use and charge lasts 20 to 30 minutes.
Hey whatever works for you.
$280. just for the S2200 charger alone, is rather expensive for only 200w x2 on AC Only. If charging smaller 5kmah 2s packs, yeah they will charge faster. Depends what C rate you charge at.
I prefer single 6s bricks. All depends if you like running doubles or one brick.

Edited for corrections.

Last edited:
I had an 8s power pack gifted to me by my brother. S2100 charger and 2x4s 5000mah 100C G1 smart batteries. He bought 2 of the kits on sale at $200 each. I think they perform okay, nothing special though. The key is simplicity I guess. Some folks don't want to learn the ins/outs of lipo but would rather plug and play. Both Spektrum and TRX offer similar products. Both work reasonably well, performance is average I'd say. The TRX chargers give zero information on battery "health" though. Perhaps there's an app or something needed? IDK.
Plug and play ends up being 2 or 3 times the cost though so, not worth it to me. The auto discharge feature from Spektrum's batteries is nice. I'll just stick with my amazon specials.

I had an 8s power pack gifted to me by my brother. S2100 charger and 2x4s 5000mah 100C G1 smart batteries. He bought 2 of the kits on sale at $200 each. I think they perform okay, nothing special though. The key is simplicity I guess. Some folks don't want to learn the ins/outs of lipo but would rather plug and play. Both Spektrum and TRX offer similar products. Both work reasonably well, performance is average I'd say. The TRX chargers give zero information on battery "health" though. Perhaps there's an app or something needed? IDK.
Plug and play ends up being 2 or 3 times the cost though so, not worth it to me. The auto discharge feature from Spektrum's batteries is nice. I'll just stick with my amazon specials.

Traxxas does not show any info on battery health.

Back