Spektrum "smart" batteries: yay or nay?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Meh. Have not decided yay or nay on the Spektrum 'Smart's.'

Bought into the Smart program on a trial basis with their 100W charger, 2s and 3s x 5000 smart batteries matched to the 85A 'Smart' ESC on the Senton project I'm working up. Personally find it a bit cumbersome to use comparing it to my legacy LiPo dumb batteries and charger.

Telemetry is a no go as my radio is an older DX4C. Wondering though if an upgrade to a DSMR 6 channel Telemetry Receiver might offer back-compatibility? Have yet to ping HH with that query.

Bottom line. Dunno. Suppose if one were exposed to the 'Smart' system from the get-go on an entry level purchase, probably be o.k. But to do a global change over from dumb to smart is a bit pricey. Looks like the industry is moving that way and may be to only option in the future.

Good luck. Cheers. 'AC'

You can run telemetry with any brand of ESC as long as your receiver/radio combo handles telemetry. It’s not the Spektrum Smart system, but you can simply attach a battery wire to the sensor port on the receiver and monitor voltage. I don’t believe this is really necessary for surface vehicles unless you‘re running separate batteries to power a servo or receiver and want to monitor them.
If you go full boat Spektrum though you get way more data. The Spektrum “dashboard” is really cool, although the speedometer isn’t totally accurate. The setup features are great, though.

You can run telemetry with any brand of ESC as long as your receiver/radio combo handles telemetry. It’s not the Spektrum Smart system, but you can simply attach a battery wire to the sensor port on the receiver and monitor voltage. I don’t believe this is really necessary for surface vehicles unless you‘re running separate batteries to power a servo or receiver and want to monitor them.
If you go full boat Spektrum though you get way more data. The Spektrum “dashboard” is really cool, although the speedometer isn’t totally accurate. The setup features are great, though.
You calculate your rollout and wheel diameter right!?
Should be fairly accurate
.. I may be wrong!! 😶‍🌫️

You calculate your rollout and wheel diameter right!?
Should be fairly accurate
.. I may be wrong!! 😶‍🌫️
Yes, that’s how it’s done. It’s not wildly inaccurate but doesn’t account for wheelspin, slippage, ballooning, etc. I would think it would be better for on road use. It’s a bit optimistic off-road.

Good for the 2&3S toy grades, overpriced and underperforming for 6S/dual 4S.

The Spektrum Smart stuff isn't anything special, the charger is meh, the batteries are near the bottom of the barrel performance wise but carry a premium price, the 150a esc is notorious for starting on fire. It's just Horizon Hobby's attempt at getting people to buy into their proprietary system.

I have dumb and smart lipo's for several different cars. I don't care much about the telemetry stuff, but I do like the automatic charge when you connect the smart lipo to the charger. Always the correct stettings and every cycle is logged keeping a nice history of your use. Also the auto discharge after 72 hours is a nice safety measure. Those features make it easy and low entry ...

I have dumb and smart lipo's for several different cars. I don't care much about the telemetry stuff, but I do like the automatic charge when you connect the smart lipo to the charger. Always the correct stettings and every cycle is logged keeping a nice history of your use. Also the auto discharge after 72 hours is a nice safety measure. Those features make it easy and low entry ...
Yes, I bought this because of the safety around the batteries, since I didn't know much about lipos, just the part where they where dangerous and caught on fire. I only had problems with my 4 different smart batteries, and I was lucky that I got to return all 4 on warranty. One cell went missing in 2 of them and the other 2 batteries one cell went bad.

gensacearespammers batteries I've had no problems with.

Smart lipos from Spektrum are designed for folks who don’t want to take a half hour and learn about lipos. I can’t say they are junk because I have no experience with them. They’re overpriced for the reason that they take away some responsibility from the owner.

Don’t buy them, take some time to learn lipo do’s and don’ts. There are way better lipos on the market.

And @WoodiE , any chance you could remove the genz ahz are spammers tagline from the forum? It’s confusing for new folks when they make a post and read it back and wonder wtf is going on……..they don’t spam anymore on here do they? Come on bro…..it’s time to drop the cancellation.

Smart lipos from Spektrum are designed for folks who don’t want to take a half hour and learn about lipos. I can’t say they are junk because I have no experience with them. They’re overpriced for the reason that they take away some responsibility from the owner.

Don’t buy them, take some time to learn lipo do’s and don’ts. There are way better lipos on the market.

And @WoodiE , any chance you could remove the genz ahz are spammers tagline from the forum? It’s confusing for new folks when they make a post and read it back and wonder wtf is going on……..they don’t spam anymore on here do they? Come on bro…..it’s time to drop the cancellation.
Sounds like a hypothesis.. so why give your 2¢ when you don't have a $1 to stand on!? Prime example of spewing misinformation based solely on your opinion and/or what you've heard! 🤯

I've never owned a Honda but don't buy one!! 🥴
The Spektrum Smart stuff isn't anything special, the charger is meh, the batteries are near the bottom of the barrel performance wise but carry a premium price, the 150a esc is notorious for starting on fire. It's just Horizon Hobby's attempt at getting people to buy into their proprietary system.
Liar.. 👊

Last edited:
Sounds like a hypothesis.. so why give your 2¢ when you don't have a $1 to stand on!? Prime example of spewing misinformation based solely on your opinion and/or what you've heard! 🤯

Liar.. 👊
Ouch…. I thought we were friends….

You are semi correct here, I’ll give you that, but I’ve heard enough guys on this forum complain about them that my opinion has been formed. That’s what this forum is for., sharing of knowledge. If enough guys complain about a certain product, chances are the product underperforms.

The lipos are overpriced, and are designed to “fire and forget”. Would you disagree with that?

A simple lipo 101 course is a road some guys don't want to go down……all that pesky safety stuff……

Last edited:
Yep, follow the leader tends to be a common malpractice here.. it's all good we still pals, I'd guess most have had ill experiences and just chalked them up!!

I will agree they are overpriced!! 💯
Ouch…. I thought we were friends….

You are semi correct here, I’ll give you that, but I’ve heard enough guys on this forum complain about them that my opinion has been formed. That’s what this forum is for., sharing of knowledge. If enough guys complain about a certain product, chances are the product underperforms.

The lipos are overpriced, and are designed to “fire and forget”. Would you disagree with that?

A simple lipo 101 course is a road some guys don't want to go down……all that pesky safety stuff……

Liar.. 👊

What did I say that was untrue?

I have been racing RC cars for a while now, so I am used to the whole lipo shebang. I'll just either sell the spektrum electronics and switch to Hobbywing. My Sanwa MT-S has telemetry, so I'll just use that. Thanks for the input, everyone!

Despite what most of the guys in this thread say, the tech is sound and works well. It was developed by ISDT under their BattGo tech, but acquired by Horizon and sold under Smart. I use them almost exclusively for surface and there's nothing wrong with it, and the S2200 charger is what I use to charge everything for car and airplane. They definitely make entering into the hobby super easy for the beginner.

Back