Spektrum Smart ESC Programmer problem....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Felony
  2. Infraction
  3. Mojave
  4. Raider
  5. Voltage
I just got one. Hooked it up to my Infraction V2 and after it powers up it tells me to "update software" and locks up. Nothing else will function. I presume they mean firmware and not software.

So, I next connected everything to my computer, ran the program and I did update the firmware. After disconnecting form the computer, I tried using the programmer by itself on the ESC and got the same message to update software.

So, this means that I cannot use the programmer in the field, if I want to make any changes on the spot.

Anyone else have this problem? And if so, what was the solution?

20201101_115250 (Copy).jpg

20201101_120754 (Copy).jpg

20201101_120750 (Copy).jpg

20201101_115724 (Copy).jpg

Agreed, update the programmer.
In the SW App under 'Device' select the programmer and proceed.
can some tell me where to go to update the programmer box lm still not sure where to start

can some tell me where to go to update the programmer box lm still not sure where to start

Here's the link to the update PDF that contains a link to the software:

https://www.horizonhobby.com/on/dem...-Avian-Programmer-and-Update-Instructions.pdf

Follow the link for "Download the latest Spektrum SmartLink updater app here"

Unzip the file, plug the USB programmer in and run the executable:
Step0.jpg

The switch the device from "ESC Speed Controller" to "LCD Program Box"
Step1.jpg

Once it interrogates the programmer box, it will present you with all the available firmware updates:
Step2.jpg

Select the latest one and hit the upgrade button:
Step3.jpg

When it's done, you will receive confirmation:
step4.jpg

Then you can switch back to ESC Speed Controller and update the ESC's firmware.

Wow thank you for this post !!!! I just received my esc programmer today and I was just pulling out my hair trying to figure it out. Thank You for the information and the link for the software update link. :):):):):)

Here's the link to the update PDF that contains a link to the software:

https://www.horizonhobby.com/on/dem...-Avian-Programmer-and-Update-Instructions.pdf

Follow the link for "Download the latest Spektrum SmartLink updater app here"

Unzip the file, plug the USB programmer in and run the executable:
View attachment 118472

The switch the device from "ESC Speed Controller" to "LCD Program Box"
View attachment 118473

Once it interrogates the programmer box, it will present you with all the available firmware updates:
View attachment 118474

Select the latest one and hit the upgrade button:
View attachment 118475

When it's done, you will receive confirmation:
View attachment 118476

Then you can switch back to ESC Speed Controller and update the ESC's firmware.
i watched the horizon hobby video they did last month and notice it was a newer version then what i had. for some reason when i would download the software from the Spektrum site or Horizon Hobby it was giving me the older 1.0.4 software then i used the link above and it gets me the 1.0.7 WTF anyways LOL Thank you for the link now both my ESCs are updated and the programming box too

Old thread yes but on my search nothing came close to the issue I'm having, I have a infraction v2 with the new 160a esc.

I updated my programmer and it works on the smartlink software, when I plug in the USB it locks up the software when detecting the esc. This is on windows 8,10and 11 on different machines.

Anyone see this before, Google has failed me and hh hasn't responded to my email yet.

Edit, programmer works on the esc alone to edit settings. Only has issues connecting to pc to update the esc.

Last edited:
I feel your pain, when I hook up to esc I get this
1706308228884.jpeg

plug into pc and I get this
1706308481295.jpeg

hit ok this is the next screen I get
1706308671397.jpeg

I have no idea where to go from here, current firmware
1706308892572.jpeg

I haven't found any other download updates with newer versions, at total loss of what to do next

I feel your pain, when I hook up to esc I get this
View attachment 344867
plug into pc and I get this
View attachment 344868
hit ok this is the next screen I get
You need version 1.1.0View attachment 344869
I have no idea where to go from here, current firmware
View attachment 344870
I haven't found any other download updates with newer versions, at total loss of what to do next
You need the newer version of smartlink, here's the most recent I have found this will update the programmer to atleast December 23 thus is for version 1.1.0

https://www.horizonhobby.com/on/dem...*1uqoiw1*_gcl_au*MTQ5NjUyOTU1MC4xNzA2MDU3MDI5

all paths I take lead right back to where I started
At this point I feel like the Spektrum smart esc programmer V2 is a piece of sh$t that I wasted money on I'll be buying hobbywing going forward

Old thread yes but on my search nothing came close to the issue I'm having, I have a infraction v2 with the new 160a esc.

I updated my programmer and it works on the smartlink software, when I plug in the USB it locks up the software when detecting the esc. This is on windows 8,10and 11 on different machines.

Anyone see this before, Google has failed me and hh hasn't responded to my email yet.

Edit, programmer works on the esc alone to edit settings. Only has issues connecting to pc to update the esc.
I am having this issue as we speak. Programmer connected to ESC to change settings, no issues. But connecting to my Windows laptop to try and update my Mojave 4s ESC Firmware, the Spektrum software completely locks up. I updated my Programmer to the latest firmware with no issues. Frustrating to say the least, i just want to update my ESC firmware lol

I am having this issue as we speak. Programmer connected to ESC to change settings, no issues. But connecting to my Windows laptop to try and update my Mojave 4s ESC Firmware, the Spektrum software completely locks up. I updated my Programmer to the latest firmware with no issues. Frustrating to say the least, i just want to update my ESC firmware lol
Same issue for me when trying to update my Kraton 4s. As soon as it is plugged into esc it freezes the software.

You need to update the programmer’s firmware/software.

Ran into the same problem with my Felony / Infraction V2. Once I updated the programmers software, it worked fine.
How did you do that? I just got a 750 dollar Asus laptop the other day, and the update wont work for the Firmware on the Specrtrum Program Card, or the new 6s Esc. What a crock of sh..t. Good thing I have several V1 ESC. I keep getting the same error message, "Update Software". The computer is a ASUS, Vivobook. The dam thing even has widows eleven on it.

guys I've fault this programmer with no real help to my problem, I just happen to pick up in another thread here someone stated that windows will not open the zip files from spectrum without an app. such as 7zip. Well I sat down this morning added the app. and it worked !!!! I really hope this helps others here, you would think Spectrum would be sharing this info.

guys I've fault this programmer with no real help to my problem, I just happen to pick up in another thread here someone stated that windows will not open the zip files from spectrum without an app. such as 7zip. Well I sat down this morning added the app. and it worked !!!! I really hope this helps others here, you would think Spectrum would be sharing this

guys I've fault this programmer with no real help to my problem, I just happen to pick up in another thread here someone stated that windows will not open the zip files from spectrum without an app. such as 7zip. Well I sat down this morning added the app. and it worked !!!! I really hope this helps others here, you would think Spectrum would be sharing thi

guys I've fault this programmer with no real help to my problem, I just happen to pick up in another thread here someone stated that windows will not open the zip files from spectrum without an app. such as 7zip. Well I sat down this morning added the app. and it worked !!!! I really hope this helps others here, you would think Spectrum would be sharing this info.
I downloaded the 7Zip file and it still wont work! SOS help!

I downloaded the 7Zip file and it still wont work! SOS help!
I hate that and know how frustrating it is, I'm a sixties kid and self-taught PC skills. That being said I'm not of the generation to guide anyone thought this, You-tube is how get though most of these things LOL

Appreciate you sharing your fix for the issue you had rgfast. Unfortunately it didn't work for the Spektrum software locking up when connected to the RSC and Laptop. I tried the 1.0.7 Spektrum Smartlink software (previous version of the latest) and it a actually does not freeze and tells me all the info of the esc and firmware version when connected to the laptop, but since it's an older version..it can't connect to the database to pull the updated ESC firmware.

I've also tried using my work laptop and same issue. So 2 separate laptops, both have plenty of compute and running Windows and Smart link software freezes when connected to ESC and laptop. I also tried this on my Infraction and Mojave ESCs..same dang issue. I am at a loss.

Appreciate you sharing your fix for the issue you had rgfast. Unfortunately it didn't work for the Spektrum software locking up when connected to the RSC and Laptop. I tried the 1.0.7 Spektrum Smartlink software (previous version of the latest) and it a actually does not freeze and tells me all the info of the esc and firmware version when connected to the laptop, but since it's an older version..it can't connect to the database to pull the updated ESC firmware.

I've also tried using my work laptop and same issue. So 2 separate laptops, both have plenty of compute and running Windows and Smart link software freezes when connected to ESC and laptop. I also tried this on my Infraction and Mojave ESCs..same dang issue. I am at a loss.
I know this is going to sound dumb. But the folder needs to be extracted to the desktop. It won't work if it is extracted in the downloads folder or anywhere else.

Back