Typhon Standard 3S Shocks - Bent Shock Rod

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton EXB
  2. Typhon 3s
Been out bashing my new Typhon 3S, noticed that after some landings the left front arm would stay in the compressed position. There is about a 5° bend in the shaft of the shock and I see some red (assuming the seal) along the bottom of the shock body where it threads in the bottom. Something I can crudely fix with the press fit spring retainer in the way...

Curious on what you all thought of upgrading these shocks, 3mm seems a bit weak since I wasn't going full on bash yet (took a few tumbles that were a bit rough).
  • Plugging 6S aluminum shock housings on
  • Proline Powerstrokes (ouch on the price)
  • Just keep beating these 3S's
  • Any other ideas?
20221017_170914.jpg
20221017_203902.jpg

You bash well! We have not bent one yet!

And we have launched out Granites 15-20ft... We did break a control arm though... And blew up a couple diffs.... and broke a few axles..

Been out bashing my new Typhon 3S, noticed that after some landings the left front arm would stay in the compressed position. There is about a 5° bend in the shaft of the shock and I see some red (assuming the seal) along the bottom of the shock body where it threads in the bottom. Something I can crudely fix with the press fit spring retainer in the way...

Curious on what you all thought of upgrading these shocks, 3mm seems a bit weak since I wasn't going full on bash yet (took a few tumbles that were a bit rough).
  • Plugging 6S aluminum shock housings on
  • Proline Powerstrokes (ouch on the price)
  • Just keep beating these 3S's
  • Any other ideas?
View attachment 250686View attachment 250687
Just order a set from Jennys and be done with it, I can't see spending $100+ on a $350 car
1666060638425.png

I prefer the typhon 6s shocks. Refill and rebuild are super easy. I don't like pulling the entire shock out just to top off some fluid on the 3s line.

Or the new 4s shocks? $37 on Jenny's. Probably going to raise your ride height but you could limit them internally so you can stay lower
I wouldn't use the new 4s shocks but that's just me.

^^^
What has really changed with the new 4s shocks? Performance/durability wise. IDK.
Besides the new Alloy bodies anyway.
Most go with the 6s shocks on these 4x4's. The Mojave 6s shocks seems to be the popular ones. Prefilled with 550cst. (y) Take-offs from JennysRC.(y) Depends on which 4x4 you are upgrading. Just Need to try and match the length and piston stroke, with whatever 6s shocks you choose. Using your stocker 4x4 shocks for reference.
Arrma 6s shocks are the cats meow. The shafts are hardened. Everyone knows this. On the heavier 6s rigs they are almost indestructable. With the 4x4's they will rarely if ever break. I have 8 6s rigs here and never bent a shaft/rod in all the years. Parts are easy to get also as they wear, Which is like hardly ever. Many Arrma upgrade springs are available also. With most any shock upgrade, you will need to dial them in. Another topic altogether.
Absolutley skip the $PL shocks$ at all costs. ;)
Just me.
:cool:

Last edited:
^^^
What has really changed with the new 4s shocks? Performance/durability wise. IDK.
Besides the new Alloy bodies anyway.
Most go with the 6s shocks on these 4x4's. The Mojave 6s shocks seems to be the popular ones. Depends on which 4x4 you are upgrading.
Arrma 6s shocks are the cats meow. The shafts are hardened. Everyone knows this. On the 6s rigs they are almost indestructable. With the 4x4's they will rarely if ever break. Parts are easy to get also as they wear, Which is like hardly ever. Many Arrma upgrade springs are available also.
Skip the $PL shocks$ at all costs . Just me.
Aluminum bodies, much better looking in general than V1. Adjusting preload isn't as easy as 6s shocks that's for sure but they are cheaper than 6s shocks anyways. I don't disagree though the 6s shocks are top notch. But I love my 4s V2 shocks they are smooth like butter. They also have 2 different strengths of springs you can buy in the optional parts. Oh and the cap is way way way better

Yeah the alloy shock bodies added some bling over the V1 4s 4x4's.. And this alone probably made them more plush.
But aren't the shafts still the same. They bend like the OP stated.:unsure:
What's different about the V2 shock caps? I know most 6s shock caps are alloy, with a nice bleeder hole.
I know you have both 6s and a 4s 4x4 rigs. (y) Yes the new 4s shocks are less $$ from JennysRC compared to the 6s shocks. But there is a difference. The Pre-load "Spacers" used on any shocks suck. Old school stuff. Threaded shock bodies rule. And you pay more for this fine tuning adjustability.
I never have problems adjusting spring pre-load with my 6s shocks. Basically set and forget. If anything the Pre-Load settings won't loosen/change with running.
With my TA old school shock "spacer" preloading , they tend to pop out with hard impacts and its hard to set it where I want in most cases. You end up being a slave to these spacers.

:)

Edited.

Last edited:
Yeah the alloy shock bodies added some bling over the V1 4s 4x4's.. And this alone probably made them more plush.
But aren't the shafts still the same. They bend like the OP stated.:unsure:
What's different about the V2 shock caps?
I know you have both 6s and a 4s 4x4 rigs. (y) Yes the new 4s shocks are less $$ from JennysRC compared to the 6s shocks. But there is a difference. The Pre-load "Spacers" used on any shocks suck. Old school stuff. Threaded shock bodies rule. And you pay more for this fine tuning adjustability.
I never have problems adjusting spring pre-load with my 6s shocks. Basically set and forget. If anything the Pre-Load settings won't loosen/change with running.
With my TA old school shock "spacer" preloading , they tend to pop out with hard impacts and its hard to set it where I want in most cases. You end up being a slave to these spacers.

:)

Edited.
Yeah I agree preload is easier to fine tune on the 6s shocks. But these come with sleeves for spacers so they have no chance of just popping off. There are some smaller spacers that are C shaped for a finer adjustment though. But as far as the cap, the old ones had to be opened from the bottom to refill with oil where the new ones open from the top like the rest. The cap itself is very similar to the 8s shock caps but obviously much smaller. Adjusting the preload isnt all that bad either really, you just pop the spring off the bottom, throw another collar on and pop the spring back on. But again with 6s shocks you can do it while they are on the truck if needed and have a much finer adjustability. The new 4s shocks also run a 4mm shaft, which is what a 6s runs as well. I personally love the new 4s shocks. I think that are awesome and for someone just bashing around you don't necessarily need that super fine adjustment, some will say they do though

I see that they do resemble the 8s shocks.
8s shocks seem to always be a problem from what is see all over AF. FWIW.
4mm shafts now. Good point.
JennysRc has 4 of them for only $38.00. Not bad actually.:unsure:
If someone has the money to burn for the PL shocks, I recommend the 6s shocks instead.

They are too long. The fronts might work for the rear but the rears are way too long.

• Stock front shocks for the 4s V2 models are 111mm eye to eye.
  • Stock rear shocks for the 4s V2 models are 133mm eye to eye.
  • Stock front shocks for the Senton, Granite, Typhon, Big Rock Crew Cab Mega and BLX 3s are 100mm eye to eye.
  • Stock rear shocks for the Senton, Granite, Typhon, Big Rock Crew Cab Mega and BLX 3s are 115mm eye to eye.
Even if you shorten the rears you would loose a lot of suspension uptravel do to the length of the shock bodies.

On my several 3s cars I’ve been running 6s mojave front shocks (I make my own shock rod boots) up front and Kraton front shocks on the rear for the last couple years (comes with shock boots). It’s my favorite upgrade to do right off the bat.

I recently built a parts bin typhon and put a set of stock shocks on. The performance I felt was not bad. But in a single month I broke two and bent three rods. So I threw on a set of old 6s shocks the other day and Ahhhh😊

I got them off a parts breaker and the cost wasn’t bad, but has gone up a good bit over the last year. Still they are worth it for me so if I need more I will happily get them. Low maintenance and near worry free for the light weight 3s line. They look pretty sharp also.

BA837BCD-1BE5-4D5F-9D10-B9B3612896F3.jpeg

On my several 3s cars I’ve been running 6s mojave front shocks (I make my own shock rod boots) up front and Kraton front shocks on the rear for the last couple years (comes with shock boots). It’s my favorite upgrade to do right off the bat.

I recently built a parts bin typhon and put a set of stock shocks on. The performance I felt was not bad. But in a single month I broke two and bent three rods. So I threw on a set of old 6s shocks the other day and Ahhhh😊

I got them off a parts breaker and the cost wasn’t bad, but has gone up a good bit over the last year. Still they are worth it for me so if I need more I will happily get them. Low maintenance and near worry free for the light weight 3s line. They look pretty sharp also.

View attachment 250800
The stock shocks actually perform very well, it's just their durability is rather lacking. 3.5mm shafts and threaded rod ends would really make a huge difference in the durability of them without a significant increase in price.

You bash well! We have not bent one yet!

And we have launched out Granites 15-20ft... We did break a control arm though... And blew up a couple diffs.... and broke a few axles..
I'm starting to think when I clipped my ramp, I may have bent the rod... not from the jumping the day before.

So just bad driving not tough bashing!

So I ended up taking it apart and bending it straight. Didn't properly 'bleed' these since I don't have the damper fluid yet, but it will hold me for the time being. Compresses fully and returns without my help now.
20221019_111346.jpg

I did end up ordering 6S shocks from Jenny's too. I'll keep these as a backup. I know I was helping by brother right is MT10 every time he flipped so I am thinking the 6S will be a bit more robust for that activity :D.

Thank you all for the conversation and recommendations! Appreciate the PL comments too, they seemed way overpriced and wasn't sure if they were that much better.

I'm starting to think when I clipped my ramp, I may have bent the rod... not from the jumping the day before.

So just bad driving not tough bashing!
4mm 6s shock shafts and all would help with poor driving.
I still feel the 6s shafts are much more hardened, better quality, over any of the 4x4 shocks. Regardless of the shaft's diameter.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back