Stapped my tires with spider thread. And sewed it right through the lugs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don mercier

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Senton 6s

Details please.

I thought about going this route but wasn't sure how to punch through cleanly with a leather needle, so I settled for plan B.
There's only 18 lugs on a backflip LP that need a pass through, to run 4 rows.

Attachments

• IMG_1601.JPG
    IMG_1601.JPG
    275.3 KB · Views: 31
I just run between the lugs. Seems to do ok. Been using a single wrap of 2mm kevlar/braided string with a core. I was using 3-4 wraps of a much lighter string before, but it doesn't hold up well over rocks.

I put a spot of glue every other lug or so, then if it breaks, it's not such a chore to get it back off with a bit of acetone soaked in it. But it still holds on well enough to finish a bash. The first time I did it, I put glue clear around the entire tire. That was a pain to get it back off when it broke. Then I only put glue on the knot... and it broke and the tire half ballooned. Every other lug seems to be a happy medium.

How did you tie them off? How long did it take to do? I'm not sure I would have the patience, so good on ya.

I don't have tires that warrant that really but good to know for the future.

I just run between the lugs. Seems to do ok. Been using a single wrap of 2mm kevlar/braided string with a core. I was using 3-4 wraps of a much lighter string before, but it doesn't hold up well over rocks.

I put a spot of glue every other lug or so, then if it breaks, it's not such a chore to get it back off with a bit of acetone soaked in it. But it still holds on well enough to finish a bash. The first time I did it, I put glue clear around the entire tire. That was a pain to get it back off when it broke. Then I only put glue on the knot... and it broke and the tire half ballooned. Every other lug seems to be a happy medium.
Well i tried just two rows but because im running such wide tires i needed more than just a row between the treads. Each row has 4 wraps of 20lb test spider braided i used slipknots and melted the strings together no glue. The glue weakens the threads
How did you tie them off? How long did it take to do? I'm not sure I would have the patience, so good on ya.

I don't have tires that warrant that really but good to know for the future.
An hr a tire. And i made a slip knot went all the way around looped it through and then back the opposite direction and then colderized the ends melting them together.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/8KSAQ6m8PuWe31gz8
Well i tried just two rows but because im running such wide tires i needed more than just a row between the treads. Each row has 4 wraps of 20lb test spider braided i used slipknots and melted the strings together no glue. The glue weakens the threads

An hr a tire. And i made a slip knot went all the way around looped it through and then back the opposite direction and then colderized the ends melting them together.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/8KSAQ6m8PuWe31gz8
Watch the video

Last edited:
I did the same thing on a set of Badlands for a different truck using 50 lb fishing line. Only used a needle to poke through with a thimble over the finger that was pushing. For all the painstaking work that was involved, the line breaks after a short time if you run through anything other than grass. I think the wrapping between the lugs is less time consuming and can be replaced easily if/when they break. Just my 2 cents.

I did the same thing on a set of Badlands for a different truck using 50 lb fishing line. Only used a needle to poke through with a thimble over the finger that was pushing. For all the painstaking work that was involved, the line breaks after a short time if you run through anything other than grass. I think the wrapping between the lugs is less time consuming and can be replaced easily if/when they break. Just my 2 cents.
Well i use my proline trenchers X and a speed tire and on asphalt so the string don't get dammaged

I did this on some 1/5 scale Rovan tires when I took the XMAXX to 74 mph.
I used some Kevlar kite string that was black (hid well on a black tire)
The idea absolutely worked, however didn't last that long.

Off road use eventually destroyed the string. Putting CA glue on the string helps extend the life.

I won't ever do this sort of thing again. The amount of time it took and pain in my hands after was not worth it o_O

Off road use eventually destroyed the string. Putting CA glue on the string helps extend the life.

I won't ever do this sort of thing again. The amount of time it took and pain in my hands after was not worth it o_O

I predrilled the holes with my drill. Didn't even need a thimble

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190910-121017_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20190910-121017_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 41
  • Screenshot_20190910-121159_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20190910-121159_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 38
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back