Fireteam Talion XL from Fireteam MT build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Time for the big upgrade today, M2C chassis. Wondered how long the stock chassis would last, not long, lol.

Just slightly bent up in the front. I knew something was wrong when i couldnt get the center brace back in after fixing a broken outdrive in the front diff.

Will go ahead and add the M2C delrin shock pistons while i have it apart.
20230518_120015.jpg

Last edited:
You mentioned the HR gearbox, for not much more I’d highly recommend the ScorchedRC diff carrier, they are built tough! Secondarily, since you already have the BQ towers, the BQ diff carriers are quite nice :cool:. My build has the ScorchedRC carriers if you want to see them on the truck.

I see you’ve got the M2C front brace in there, did you have any fitment issues? It was just a little too short on mine, and the angle was too obtuse. If I attached it without the top plate it stood up above the steering post mounts, and I had to force it to fit on the top plate. Once I did that it created binding on the front driveshaft. I’m curious if you have the same experience.
I believe the BQ CF Steering TOP Plate is thicker/taller and this causes what you described above. Steering top plate needs to be the same thickness as the stocker. BQ's is too thick. A Higher profile. A bit too high.
It appears you tried not using any Top plate. Need one for sure! The CF Top plate is not even needed. It is purely just Bling. Stocker EXB plate is thinner and already stout enough. They don't break. Weight savings is slim to none. The only advantage to running any CF on the FT would be the CF Towers. Trying to lighten up a XLWB chassis fruitless. Especially running an M2C or any heavy upgrade chassis.
CF towers wont bend easily. This is already a heavy XLWB platform. BQ likes to bundle the whole CF set. The CF Ackerman plate might be worth it however. A part that can bend easily, even the 7075 upgrade Ackerman plates do.
The CF T2T is not needed as well. Bling. I think the round stocker one "Sleeved" with Glossy finish CF tubing is the better option. way less $$ also. Looks nicer. Will never bend. Did this to all my 6s rigs. I considered BQ for many CF parts.... My list got dwindled down to just the CF towers and CF Ackerman plate. I don't even thick the chassis needs an upgrade. Unless you aren't using the FT caged body. Then an upgrade chassis is almost a given, being XLWB.
My 2 cents.:cool:

Last edited:
Hmm, had no issues putting the T2T brace in and removing it for diff service even with the BQ top plate. Only after a front flip that sent it straight up 10ft was it an issue, lol.
XLWB M2C chassis is 67g heavier than a Kraton M2C chassis. Just removing the handbrake and sidesteps will take 120g off, i wouldnt consider that fruitless.
Just for the record I broke a cf top plate on my Typhon, not sure how the exb plate would have held up. I still have the exb plate for my FT, probably put that back in, im not partial to either for strength or looks.
I didnt care for the red tube, the cf t2t brace was pretty cheap on ebay so i like it better, even if its just bling.
Im not sold on the FT body saving the chassis, but im going to be running truck bodies too so it wouldn't matter for me, lol.

Last edited:
Took it out today with the new chassis, ran like a champ! I had been running 30k/500k/20k, decided to try 50k up front.

I liked it better at times but definitely requires less throttle going into a turn, ill see if i adjust, if not I'll go back to 30k.

Ran the Fling Kings, Backflips & Backflip LPs. Fling Kings were quiet a bit better than i expected on grass, but am putting them aside for the sandbar or soft dirt, thats what i got them for lol.

I preferred the LPs for bashing today. Didn't need the ground clearance or air control and the lower CG made it feel like a killer desert buggy.

Very versatile rig IMO, definitely the most do-it-all rc Ive owned.👍👍👍😁😁😁
20230520_141336.jpg

Took it out today again, not liking 50k in front diff, going to drop it back to 30k. Probably would be fine for grass or pavement, but not for dirt.

Pushing the front, not turning well?
Yes, really requires dropping the throttle a lot in the middle of a turn and lighter steering input.
The surface im on is packed down really hard with a lot of fine dust on top, lets it slide a lot. It actually gives the best grip after a good 5 minute light rain.

Time's up for the Fireteam, lol. Didn't even crash today and somehow 4 screws pulled through the body panels and a couple of rollcage bars snapped.😖 Probably were already weakened and the bouncing around finished the job. I've crashed this rig less than any rig I've owned yet spent more time dealing with the body than any rig I've owned, lol. Anyway, stopped at a dumpster on the way home and tossed the stock FT body, didn't even want to look at it again. 🤣 Don't know how much time I spent trying to toughen it up, but decided 0 minutes is how much more time I'm willing to spend, lol.

It looks cool as a monster truck but Im curious about how much I'd enjoy a 1/7 scale Talion. Would be an easy rig to run off road and on road without too any changes to the setup. 😎

Last edited:
I ditched the body before it could fall apart and went with a Kraton shell and BQ mounts and use it as an on-road basher with SRC 143mm wheels. It's fun watching this big/long thing pull wheelies and drag the back bumper down the road on 2 wheels. It actually handles small/driveway jumps pretty well like this so far. ;)

If you want to buy my stock shell we can probably make a deal! ;)

PXL_20230215_223027175.jpg

I have the red truck body and some belted Proline Avengers i can throw on it tomorrow, that should be a good starting point to see how it does.
Running 30/100/20 for off road, I have some 500k i could go up to for the center. Not sure what is common for street bashing for front/rear, lower?

Ready to make a FireTalion😆.

Got the Xtreme Racing 5mm cf towers and Talion front and rear shock shafts, will be using FT shock bodies since they are same size front and rear is +1mm vs Talon shock bodies.

Also have the M2C shock bushings and pollar ball retainer nut kit coming in Fri or Sat.

Last edited:
Not sure what is common for street bashing for front/rear, lower?

I am still running stock in all my F/R diffs (10k?) and 500k in my center diffs if they don't have a spool. I plan to start upgrading most of my rigs to 60/30 for F/R over the next few months (or this winter?).

Swapped out the Fireteam towers and put Talion towers on, also lowered the ride height a little. Absolutely loving this thing. One of my old bash spots that was overgrown is now a great spot again. I've run 3 packs each of 4s and 6s since the Talion conversion and only turned it over ONCE!!! Love how planted and responsive this thing is. I think I've found the goldilocks setup for this rig, no interest in changing it any further. 😁

Swapped out the Fireteam towers and put Talion towers on, also lowered the ride height a little. Absolutely loving this thing. One of my old bash spots that was overgrown is now a great spot again. I've run 3 packs each of 4s and 6s since the Talion conversion and only turned it over ONCE!!! Love how planted and responsive this thing is. I think I've found the goldilocks setup for this rig, no interest in changing it any further. 😁
Nice! Picture?

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back