Talion Talion XL thanks for all the advice...Perfect!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parcou

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Hospitality Award
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock
  2. Felony
  3. Fireteam
  4. Granite
  5. Infraction
  6. Kraton EXB
  7. Talion EXB
  8. Typhon TLR
  9. Vorteks
I had a great bash with my Talion EXB this weekend. Bashed the Kraton EXB and the Talion, as we all know, each have their own strengths. I am so impressed with the agility of the Talion. It's stock but well tuned it ESC upgrade, servo, and diffs tuned to me liking so she is not sloppy!

Question what is the advantage of an XL chassis?

My bashing screen is loose dirt to very dead dusty grass, so get some traction, no jumping with the Talion I like the ground performance. Drifting corners at full speed, hooking/banking out of curves and turns, the 50 yard dash runs down a field to loop or drift around something and back. Not too level surface, so we get some air if I catch a valley right, no planned jumping or sending it with ramps.

FT I believe has a longer chassis love the surface action with it. Just curious about how I like to bash my Tailon would an XL chassis be a positive for me? Or is there a negative to this for those who have one or are familiar with this area? If yes, what is the correct chassis to make it an XL?

Thx

1693937626806.png

Last edited:
Sorry I don't have an XL Talion, but I believe a Talion should stay normal length, it's strengths are in it's stock form in my opinion.. (y)
Mine has been kept light and the normal size because I believe that's how a Talion should be..!!

IMG_9992.jpeg

+1 to keeping it stock. The Talion is by far my favorite 6s rig. Although I don't have plans to change it to an xl version, I'm sure to miss the way it currently is if I do. Something about it just matches my driving style better than the rest of the lineup.

I can only provide you with feedback on the XL version as I have never had a stock length version. I got the FT on the $399 sale, was planning on a Talion until that sale price came up. I knew it wouldn't take much to swap it to a Kraton XL or Talion XL later.

I ran through probably 30-40 battery packs with the FT before I converted it to a Talion XL. I live in an apartment so don't have room for very many rigs, especially XLWB rigs, lol. Conversion was pretty simple, just swapped to carbon fiber Talion shock towers and put Talion shock shafts in the FT shock bodies since front is the same and rear shock body is only 1mm longer than Talion. Easy way to keep the conversion cheap.

I ran the FT with stock tires as well as Backflip MTs and LPs. Very nice rig overall and handled really well. Also did a couple of street bashes with the FT on stock tires, pretty good on pavement without changing anything. Overall, I just didn't need the extra weight and ground clearance and was ready to convert to a Talion. Decided on the XL chassis after seeing a few people here that love the XL version of their Kraton or Talion.

Overall I am very satisfied with it. This thing is like a heat seeking missile compared to the FT which is no slouch either. I don't jump it other than I hit a couple of little dirt mounds that send it 2-3 feet in the air occasionally. The lower CG really makes cornering on dirt at high speeds a lot more fun, very responsive. Just an all out speed demon on the dirt.

The main weight difference between stock and my setup is the XL M2C chassis, Max6, Hobbystar 4092 motor, and Mojave side guards. I don't know what the stock towers weigh so not sure if the CF towers I'm running saved me any weight, but definitely didn't add as much as M2C towers would have.

Since I haven't run the stock version I can't say much about the difference between the 2, but I feel like you really can't go wrong either way here. :cool:

20230904_140443.jpg

I have both a talion and Talion xl and love them both. My talion xl has +20mm hex extenders though so it's a helluva lot wider than stock talion xl. It's definitely not as nimble as a stock talion but it's nimble enough and extremely planted. They both fly great but the xl more so imo. If I had to pick one it would be the XXL but I love big 🤣

I have a Talion EXB converted to XL, I never liked the stock form, too unstable and loved to tumble all over the place. Since I really like the way the Mojave handles I figured I'd convert to an XL to try, all I needed was the XLWB chassis, center chassis brace and (157mm) rear center driveshaft (Mojave side guards are nice too), your choice on what to do body wise, I just mangled the stock one on and it works fine.

I really like the XL, better jumper, and all-around ground bashing without much loss of handling or "punchiness" (all stock electronics), but I do like the Mojave so it might not be what you are looking for.

I'd say, since it's fairly cheap to do, try it and if you don't like it, well you have a spare chassis and center driveshaft for your FT.

Can't comment on XL, mine is stock length, only M2C chassis and towers, stock motor.
Try the Backflip LP, it will make your smile a mile wider, if you are jumping.

Buy quick, Jenny has stock. If you don't like 'em I'll buy your set (for a HUGE) discount of course 🍻

https://jennysrc.com/collections/outcast-4s-v2-ara4410v2

Like @Moirae , I have a talion XL with 20mm hub extenders, Kraton 6s hubs and stub axles. I also have a talion EXB. I built the talion XL from scratch just because I could. It’s my favourite rig. The advantage I believe is more stability.

You will need a Mojave chassis , side guards if you prefer and a provision to fasten the body to the rear of the truck because it’s too short. I use standoffs that I found on eBay upon @Moirae suggestion. Circled in green on pic. You will also need a Mojave Center drive shaft,,,,,,,I just can’t remember if it’s the rear or front.

IMG_0282.jpeg

Last edited:
Like @Moirae , I have a talion XL with 20mm hub extenders, Kraton 6s hubs and stub axles. I also have a talion EXB. I built the talion XL from scratch just because I could. It’s my favourite rig. The advantage I believe is more stability.

You will need a Mojave chassis , side guards if you prefer and a provision to fasten the body to the rear of the truck because it’s too short. I use standoffs that I found on eBay upon @Moirae suggestion. Circled in green on pic. You will also need a Mojave Center drive shaft,,,,,,,I just can’t remember if it’s the rear or front.

View attachment 320775
Ok I feel dumb for having to ask, but how do you attach the body mounts to the standoffs? Really long M3 screws? That was the only thing I could figure out and didn't have screws even close to long enough so I just made a kydex plate bent 90 degrees. I secured it to the standoffs and ran two m4 screws through for the body and secure it with thumbnuts since I use them on everything instead of pins. Still wondering if long screws are what everyone is using with the Arrma body mounts.

I haven't made my maiden voyage yet but I'm sure she'll be badazz!!! I built this off of my KXL build... Started life as a new fireteam.... added a bunch of m2c stuff, chassis hinge pins, braces etc... But it's an XL Talion width beast!!!... build thread coming. Mike
Screenshot_20230905_190510_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20230905_190525_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20230905_190833_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20230905_190837_Gallery.jpg

I have both a talion and Talion xl and love them both. My talion xl has +20mm hex extenders though so it's a helluva lot wider than stock talion xl. It's definitely not as nimble as a stock talion but it's nimble enough and extremely planted. They both fly great but the xl more so imo. If I had to pick one it would be the XXL but I love big 🤣

View attachment 320775

Thx for all the feedback fellas

Where do I find those rear standoffs for the body?

Ok I feel dumb for having to ask, but how do you attach the body mounts to the standoffs? Really long M3 screws? That was the only thing I could figure out and didn't have screws even close to long enough so I just made a kydex plate bent 90 degrees. I secured it to the standoffs and ran two m4 screws through for the body and secure it with thumbnuts since I use them on everything instead of pins. Still wondering if long screws are what everyone is using with the Arrma body mounts.
Great question, and the same question I asked of @Moirae some time ago…..you need these…..
I forget the proper name but maybe @Moirae could chime in….
IMG_0286.jpeg

If you can’t find them, chop the head off a long 3mm screw, that should work.
Thx for all the feedback fellas

Where do I find those rear standoffs for the body?
EBay, search aluminum standoffs,,,,,,get 45mm with a 3mm screw hole.

Looks kinda like the hex studs I've screwed into body posts to use thumbscrews. I wondered if that might be an option, but I only have m4x12 size for thumbnut body mounts, just need an m3 size.

20230905_180118.jpg

I love my FT with a K6 shell. The body shell swap saves about 1.5 pounds IIRC. The 143mm wheel swap saved a number of grams as well, but I had to size down the spur.

PXL_20230213_221722582.jpg

Next are some 118mm 1/5 GRP wheels and JBI square adapters. I tried the 107mm Hoons but these 4.3 diffs start screaming with tiny wheels when you start pushing that 70 or 80 mph+ range. My other thought was to get a couple of 3.3 typhon diffs from JRC for this rig.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back