The unofficial Losi Tenacity DB Pro thread by Alex.M. and slick2500.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What just happened here? I’m sincerely confused.
Basically @WoodiE runs all the forums that @slick2500 circled so I started another thread over on rctalk hoping to see a bit more action? I think it was a wise move seeing this is an ARRMA!!!! forum. And I think you’ve found your way to that thread over on Rctalk....???? Stalker!

I got a DB Pro. Absolutely love the car. I beat the crap out of mine and it does break, and can break easily. At this point it runs an Arrma 2400kv motor in it with a 38t spur and 19t pinion. It’s the largest combo I can fit with the stock mount. It still gets hot but not as bad. If you gear it up change our center diff fluid to at least 2.5mil otherwise you’ll cook the center diff and break it (that’s what happened to me).
Since the motor I had to swap the battery and ESC location.
1239659E-EB7F-40E3-8797-67CC98511F3C.jpeg

I got a DB Pro. Absolutely love the car. I beat the crap out of mine and it does break, and can break easily. At this point it runs an Arrma 2400kv motor in it with a 38t spur and 19t pinion. It’s the largest combo I can fit with the stock mount. It still gets hot but not as bad. If you gear it up change our center diff fluid to at least 2.5mil otherwise you’ll cook the center diff and break it (that’s what happened to me).
Since the motor I had to swap the battery and ESC location. View attachment 68430
I just love the chassis look. Very nice for a RTR stock chassis.

My experience. ( More like my nightmare )

Sorry your dream rig is causing you such headache! ☹️

Only things I can suggest are some MIP hex drivers and some torx bits. (Star bit) You can sometimes hammer the torx bits into stripped hexes and get them to come out. The T9 or T10 for example will sometimes hammer into a stripped 2mm hex. With lots of loctite, you need lots of heat...

Sorry your dream rig is causing you such headache! ☹

Only things I can suggest are some MIP hex drivers and some torx bits. (Star bit) You can sometimes hammer the torx bits into stripped hexes and get them to come out. The T9 or T10 for example will sometimes hammer into a stripped 2mm hex. With lots of loctite, you need lots of heat...
Hammer, you are a stand up guy. I appreciate you chiming in like that. It’s been a week. I’ve had the car sitting on the table the whole time. Ate out every night this week cause I needed the space. I exhausted every resource available to me. I know sometimes people think I’m all alone over here. At first, that was true.

Then I started meeting the right people. I’ve even hung out with Masami Hirosaka. These pro drivers looked at the car. They broke out their tool kits. I’ve spent money on top of money trying to get this solved. I wanted to drive that car more than anything. Now I’m a 1,000 in the hole with all the shipping fees and parts I bought for it.

My Arrma Typhon 5S has not given me any issues at all. I can take it apart, clean it, run it, clean it again, make adjustments.
The Team Associated vehicles I purchased have not failed me either. I’ve learned only 1 thing from this, I’m not buying LOSI anymore.

This is my first REAL bad experience. Changing a pinion is par for the course when you do RC.
One guy said to me “You should use quality tools”. Yeah, I know that. I also know that a man who blames his tools for the quality of his work is making excuses.

Hammer, you are a stand up guy. I appreciate you chiming in like that. It’s been a week. I’ve had the car sitting on the table the whole time. Ate out every night this week cause I needed the space. I exhausted every resource available to me. I know sometimes people think I’m all alone over here. At first, that was true.

Then I started meeting the right people. I’ve even hung out with Masami Hirosaka. These pro drivers looked at the car. They broke out their tool kits. I’ve spent money on top of money trying to get this solved. I wanted to drive that car more than anything. Now I’m a 1,000 in the hole with all the shipping fees and parts I bought for it.

My Arrma Typhon 5S has not given me any issues at all. I can take it apart, clean it, run it, clean it again, make adjustments.
The Team Associated vehicles I purchased have not failed me either. I’ve learned only 1 thing from this, I’m not buying LOSI anymore.

This is my first REAL bad experience. Changing a pinion is par for the course when you do RC.
One guy said to me “You should use quality tools”. Yeah, I know that. I also know that a man who blames his tools for the quality of his work is making excuses.
That’s a real bummer!
I have a Losi Mini-T 2.0 loaded with almost every aluminum upgrade you can get, along with a bigger motor and esc and I love it! So much in fact that I just bought the limited 40th anniversary edition. ?

It really sucks that your having such a bad experience. I’ve had similar issues with my Arrma’s and how much loctite they like too use! ?

I wouldn’t dismiss Losi completely. They do make real nice stuff, you must have gotten one made on a Friday at quitting time or something... ?‍♂️

Not trying to beat a dead horse... but from my experience, MIP makes the best, tightest tolerance hex drivers I’ve found yet. Although excessive loctite can make even the best drivers seem worthless! That’s where the heat comes in... and if all else fails it’s torx or dremel time. ?

Worst case scenario can you bring it to a lhs and have them work on it for you? I know that’s kinda a blow to the ego but a guy has to keep his sanity...

Sorry you had a bad experience there. It’s compounded by the fact you’re not in the US. I don’t think others here would have as much problems getting that pinion off.

What tip do you have on that Hakko? If it’s not a broad chiseled tip, you’ll never transfer enough heat. A heat gun isn’t focused enough to do the trick either. You would be better off with a butane torch or a simple lighter. You need to get that pinion as hot as possible. It will pop right off then.

Your best bet is to get the motor off the chassis so you can get heat directly on the gear and the end of the motor shaft at the same time. Hit it with direct flame for 5 mins. It will pop off with minimal leverage then. Wear gloves of some sort so you don’t burn yourself and don’t do this in an area where you will burn your house down.

I'm close to finishing a video on the Tenacity DB Pro. It is an awesome truck especially considering the price. I've run it in all sorts of conditions and it's performed almost flawlessly. It handles beautifully and it's nice and light. It jumps well and tackles a lot of different types of terrain. I guess the closest Arrma comparison would be the Typhon 3S, which I do not own. But for $430 you get a 6 channel AVC receiver and a radio that actually works. You also get a center diff. I think it's an excellent value for what you pay. Watch my video when it is up and decide for yourself ?

I got a Tenacity MT Pro. Yah, they don't make a Pro version of the MT, so I converted one myself.

It's OK. Pros are that it handles well and there are a lot of nice race upgrades for it. Cons are it's not super durable (it's really more of a race kit than a serious basher), kind of a dated design, and they use some cheap steel on things like the outdrives.

They kinda half-assed it IMO to keep the cost down.

I got a Tenacity MT Pro. Yah, they don't make a Pro version of the MT, so I converted one myself.

It's OK. Pros are that it handles well and there are a lot of nice race upgrades for it. Cons are it's not super durable (it's really more of a race kit than a serious basher), kind of a dated design, and they use some cheap steel on things like the outdrives.

They kinda half-assed it IMO to keep the cost down.
Well I have a video of me doing what I do and I have not broken much (turnbuckle end and a plastic helmet head). But WTF do I know, right. ?

Pretend they cost the same would you get this DB Pro or a Kraton 8S.

Pretend they cost the same would you get this DB Pro or a Kraton 8S.
If I could only have one large scale truck it would be a K8S. If I could only have one 1/10 scale truck it would be the DB Pro. Money aside it's far better than the 3S/4S trucks.

For real? You asked that as an honest question?
Yes, I don’t have room for both, but have money to buy either one. I have kraton, Senton and Typhon 6S’s, I have both 4S and I have all 3S’s. Which do I get next?

Yes, I don’t have room for both, but have money to buy either one. I have kraton, Senton and Typhon 6S’s, I have both 4S and I have all 3S’s. Which do I get next?
Obviously the K8S!!!

More room for RC cars?

Ok, seriously here.
If I were in your shoes I'd get something entirely different. Your collection has a few vehicles that are very similar and a big ol' 8s Kraton just ups the scale of what you already have.

Have you taken a good look at the Losi Rock Rey(1/10)? That's something that would be truly different but still complimentary to your collection.

More room for RC cars?

Ok, seriously here.
If I were in your shoes I'd get something entirely different. Your collection has a few vehicles that are very similar and a big ol' 8s Kraton just ups the scale of what you already have.

Have you taken a good look at the Losi Rock Rey(1/10)? That's something that would be truly different but still complimentary to your collection.
I tried to ask everyone on here about that one when they had a Black Friday sale price on the one without the radio and receiver ($249 aka hell of a deal) but I got flagged right away saying its “not about arrma!”. Didn’t understand while at the same time someone had a post on here going over the birth of their puppies. I love puppies BTW.

I tried to ask everyone on here about that one when they had a Black Friday sale price on the one without the radio and receiver ($249 aka hell of a deal) but I got flagged right away saying its “not about arrma!”. Didn’t understand while at the same time someone had a post on here going over the birth of their puppies. I love puppies BTW.

Yeah, that's the problem with brand specific forums. It's about 100 times worse on Facebook groups.

My advice to you is to think about the ways, if any, that you'd want to drive an rc but nothing in your current fleet does well.

Arrmas are all go fast bashers and you've got a nice selection. Branch out a little and see what else is out there.

That Rock Rey is a safe purchase to compliment what you have.

Do you like monster trucks?

Either way, just look for info and advice in a forum/group specific to that brand or a general rc forum.

rccrawler is a good forum for Rock Rey info

Back