Thinking about getting into planes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BashTillBroken

Very Active Member
Hospitality Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Coming around to lap you AGAIN….. (Oregon)
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite Grom
  2. Infraction
  3. Kraton EXB
  4. Senton 3s
Been looking into getting into rc planes been trying to fly my rage rc mini warplanes there pretty easy to fly except when I crash due to small flying area found a club been thinking about joining it so I can learn but been looking into building a plane no worries actually building it but flying it I’m worried about because I do not want to break it. Any advise?
4308F5B9-A0F8-47FB-92F8-3B6552469ADD.png

Last edited:
Simulator, best tool you can have.. 👍.. when you get into flight with a bigger bird, give it some height so you can recover from anything that goes south..👍..

I learned on a Duraplane. Those things are tanks. It’s just a PVC channel with hard foam wings. If you can fly one of those bricks, any trainer will feel easy.

We loved those.. it's made of a 4x4 post sleeve, which you can get at home Depot..😉.. we loved driving them things into the ground, especially when the rubber bands snapped off the wing..🤣🤣..

But, you bring up a good point, trainers have high wing, high wing designs are the easiest to fly ..👍
Been thinking about that but don’t feel like spending as much as a plane to learn how to fly one to buy the plane

There is no need to spend big money on a simulator.. They all do the same, teach you the sticks..

Been looking into getting into rc planes been trying to fly my rage rc mini warplanes there pretty easy to fly except when I crash due to small flying area found a club been thinking about joining it so I can learn but been looking into building a plane no worries actually building it but flying it I’m worried about because I do not want to break it. Any advise?View attachment 246633
Get your self a learning plane . something not much of value.. practice on it before using a plane you spent good money on so you don't crash it..I have a few drones and that's what I did.practiced on a cheap one first..and buy xtra props..allways good to have on hand.🤟 Good luck.and when you fly your plane attach a arrma flag off the back👍

I have owed two planes in the past, and about 3 helicopters.

Both planes the same. Lasted one 5 minute flight. Crashed one of the nitro planes so bad it caught on fire.

Helicopters - crashed on on a neighbors roof. Was stuck up there for a few days. Pretty banged up.

Two of the helicopters - decided to go really high up so I had room for error. Ended up losing my bearings on them, and they flew so far away I gave up and just went back inside the house.

I stick with ground rigs now.

Would also add to check your airspace regulations and make sure you can fly where you want to.
Typically you can't use any air RC 5 mile distance near a airport..if you do and get caught you'll receive a 500.00 dollar fine plus they take whatever you have.its a government offense.ik because it happened to me before.i live near a airport..this happened 6 years ago and recently closed the airport.its dead now and that's where I do my speed runs👍😆🤟

I have owed two planes in the past, and about 3 helicopters.

Both planes the same. Lasted one 5 minute flight. Crashed one of the nitro planes so bad it caught on fire.

Helicopters - crashed on on a neighbors roof. Was stuck up there for a few days. Pretty banged up.

Two of the helicopters - decided to go really high up so I had room for error. Ended up losing my bearings on them, and they flew so far away I gave up and just went back inside the house.

I stick with ground rigs now.
OMG! I read this to my wife and we were laughing so hard! Tears and all. "......they flew so far away I gave up and just went back inside the house." TOO. EFFIN. FUNNY. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: (y)

I can't fly anything. Unless it is coming off a ramp! 😁✌️

Typically you can't use any air RC 5 mile distance near a airport..if you do and get caught you'll receive a 500.00 dollar fine plus they take whatever you have.its a government offense.ik because it happened to me before.i live near a airport..this happened 6 years ago and recently closed the airport.its dead now and that's where I do my speed runs👍😆🤟
Man, you are so lucky with that closed airstrip! I've been looking around here, but besides the main airport we have (small/med size) the small private ones are grass runways. :rolleyes:

OMG! I read this to my wife and we were laughing so hard! Tears and all. "......they flew so far away I gave up and just went back inside the house." TOO. EFFIN. FUNNY. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: (y)

I can't fly anything. Unless it is coming off a ramp! 😁✌️

Man, you are so lucky with that closed airstrip! I've been looking around here, but besides the main airport we have (small/med size) the small private ones are grass runways. :rolleyes:
I am dead serious.

I often wonder where they finally crashed. I honestly watched the news that night to make sure there were no reports of "man injured from falling RC helicopter remains in critical condition".

I am dead serious.

I often wonder where they finally crashed. I honestly watched the news that night to make sure there were no reports of "man injured from falling RC helicopter remains in critical condition".
O I know you were serious.....that's why it was so funny!! :ROFLMAO: I would have done the same thing. "Well, guess it's time to go in." 🤷‍♂️

Been thinking about that but don’t feel like spending as much as a plane to learn how to fly one to buy the plane
That simulator will save you money. You can crash hundreds of planes in a simulator, and it's only the cost of one plane. I killed quite a few planes until I got good. A simulator would have saved me some money.

The larger the plane the more stable it flies. Always recommend learning on a high wing aircraft, not as sexy as a warbird, but also much easier to learn on. think long term investment. You don't jump into a formula one car the to go get your drivers license. ;)

I crashed one of my heli’s in the neighbors yard yesterday.. and it just so happens they have a 6’ chain link fence! So.. I got my 4’ ladder and proceeded to climb over said fence, when I was turning around and just about over I lost my balance and did a spectacular front flip back into my yard right on my back!! 😵‍💫🥴 At first I hoped no one saw it, but then I thought wouldn’t that be funny if someone got it on video and put that 💩 on the tube. 🤣
After I shook off the embarrassment, I had to try and traverse the fence again.. cause my heli was still in the neighbors yard. Almost fell again! 😜 Then once I finally recovered my heli and put the ladder away I realized the lipo had ejected from the heli… back over the fence again… 🥸

Needless to say my back and shoulder are killing me today. I’m too old to be hopping fences. 🤕

I crashed one of my heli’s in the neighbors yard yesterday.. and it just so happens they have a 6’ chain link fence! So.. I got my 4’ ladder and proceeded to climb over said fence, when I was turning around and just about over I lost my balance and did a spectacular front flip back into my yard right on my back!! 😵‍💫🥴 At first I hoped no one saw it, but then I thought wouldn’t that be funny if someone got it on video and put that 💩 on the tube. 🤣
After I shook off the embarrassment, I had to try and traverse the fence again.. cause my heli was still in the neighbors yard. Almost fell again! 😜 Then once I finally recovered my heli and put the ladder away I realized the lipo had ejected from the heli… back over the fence again… 🥸

Needless to say my back and shoulder are killing me today. I’m too old to be hopping fences. 🤕

Easier to knock on their door! :ROFLMAO:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back