This looks fun… feedback?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nitro is a PITA, in a nutshell....:ROFLMAO:
I'm guilty also, twice over.
It is considered a vintage class. It was big in its hey day. That was before Lipos and BLX electrics showed up on the scene (2004)
Nitro dominted Brushed motors back then, for power and speed. You have to have a good working knowledge of ICE to run them well.
You really need someone with good knowledge teach you one on one. Learning on your own will be hard. And frustrating.
It's a different way of RC'ing. You are always reaching for the Fuel bottle, bringing it back in for fuel up and you keep going. If you burn a pint +/= in 40min run, you did well. You start it and keep it running till you are done for the day. The best way to run them. Stopping and startng frequenty messes them up. Engine head needs to reach 200-215F and stay there. Cooldowns/ shut off is not needed. Nitro itself is a coolant depending how rich you are. The Head is air cooled.

Im not gonna talk smack about nitro, (nobody here is, really) but some guys just gotta do nitro..... but explanations by guys like @SrC @hobo, @Sirkensirlot & @Johnny b who have "been there, done that" has shown me that I made the right choice for me, which is LiPo.

If you run nitro, respect to ya....Ive seen them run.....
I agree with everyone on this topic. I am only a little over a year into the hobby, but I did rebuild an old classic Traxxas T Maxx. I have only driven it a couple times since the build, but from what it originally looked like I am proud of it. I paid very little for it but put a little money into it. The motor was close to a electric motor in cost. Everything else was reasonable (stock). Don't worry, it is the only Traxxas I own. 😆 The other 5 (6 with the one on the way) are Arrma's.

View attachment 306692

View attachment 306693

View attachment 306694

Nice rig ....

I confess, I have one Tra##a$ in my stable.... a very capable crawler with a 2 speed tranny...

Im not gonna talk smack about nitro, (nobody here is, really) but some guys just gotta do nitro..... but explanations by guys like @SrC @hobo, @Sirkensirlot & @Johnny b who have "been there, done that" has shown me that I made the right choice for me, which is LiPo.

If you run nitro, respect to ya....Ive seen them run.....

Nice rig ....

I confess, I have one Tra##a$ in my stable.... a very capable crawler with a 2 speed tranny...
Thanks.. I guess it is more of a shelf Queen.

I wish the 1/8th scale gas rigs would have been better than they were every one of them that I remember was plagued with issues, though iirc they had fixed the issues with the Savage Octane right before HPI filed for bankruptcy. Gas is so much easier than nitro and less expensive to run as well.

Last edited:
I wish the 1/8th scale gas rigs would have been better than they were every one of them that I remember was plagued with issues, though iirc they had fixed the issues with the Savage Octane right before HPI filed for bankruptcy. Gas is so much easier than nitro and less expensive to run as well.

My dream rig is a losi gas. Truck or buggy. I went to buy a k&n dbxl gas v1 right when they discontinued it. When v2 came out it jumped insanely high in comparison.

The savages are still to this day having issues with thier transmission. I don't have one but a friend does.

My dream rig is a losi gas. Truck or buggy. I went to buy a k&n dbxl gas v1 right when they discontinued it. When v2 came out it jumped insanely high in comparison.

The savages are still to this day having issues with thier transmission. I don't have one but a friend does.

Not the issues with the car itself but issues with the engines.

I had a nitro savage ss 4.6 couldn't keep in going long enough to have drivetrain problems 😐

A arguably close analogy: gas chainsaw vs electric chainsaw. As mentioned above, if you use it regularly (and get the knack of tuning), nitro could be a blast. If you're going to use it a couple times a year, electrics get the nod. It's a lot less involvement to maintenance charge batteries than to properly store 2 stroke motors and fuel.

I still have 3 nitro rigs in my lineup. Haven't run one in probably over 3 years. Bet the motors are rusted/seized right up too..
I loved the nitros plenty back in the 80's,90's. Then came lipos in early 2000's.. Bye-bye nitro for me. They can be alot of fun, tuning isn't that hard, a good motor makes all the difference. They hold a tune much better. For me, the OS engine was a game changer after burning through a few Thunder Tiger and Traxxas motors. Worlds apart in consistency. I've been out of the loop for quite a while, last fuel I bought was at Hobbytown, TRX top fuel 20%, $30 for a quart!!😮🤢🤮
Nah, I'm good with electrics 😎😁

All I know is that a couple of times when a bunch of us got together, we were running our electrics and the nitro guys were crouched around their buggies "tuning".

All I know is that a couple of times when a bunch of us got together, we were running our electrics and the nitro guys were crouched around their buggies "tuning".
HaHa!! Unrelated but, you just reminded me of "Street Outlaws"!! Farmtruck and AZN doin some tuning on the Moredoor Nova!!🤣🤣

13235208_730849300391676_3694750813516703690_o.jpg

I applaud those still running nitro...sold off my redcat and revo 3.3 years ago...maintaining, tuning, plugs, noise....well you get it...Definitely prefer my Kraton 4s :cool:

Last edited:
I applaud those still running nitro...sold off my redcat and revo 3.3 years ago...maintaining, tuning, plugs, noise....well you get it...Definitely prefer my 2 brushless Arrmas :cool:
yes I applaud them too must be 10 years since I started a nitro engine or should I say tried to start a nitro engine :)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back