This looks fun… feedback?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BudUMfan

Go Big, Go Fast. Go Blue!
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
ArrmaForum Fan
Rig of the Month Winner
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Fireteam
  2. Talion EXB
  3. Typhon 3s
  4. Typhon TLR
Hey guys,

I know there’s plenty of nitro guys that have em or have had em. The noise used to bug me but now after 209 A-Main nitro track vids? I kinda like it. What’s the biggest downside besides the noise and smell? They really look fun and affordable.

IMG_1831.png

Hey guys,

I know there’s plenty of nitro guys that have em or have had em. The noise used to bug me but now after 209 A-Main nitro track vids? I kinda like it. What’s the biggest downside besides the noise and smell? They really look fun and affordable.

View attachment 306630
tuning a nitro is a skill you have to master. had an HPI nitro drift about 15 years ago and always ran it in the same parking lot . if the weather changed from day to day ( like a little cooler or warmer or more or less humid ) I would have to mess about with the mixture screws. wish I still had it and put more time into learning how to tune it.

They are quite more Expensive to run and maintain and need much disposable items to keep running them. Constant maintenance and storage procedures. From the Oiled filters to after run maintenance. Fail to properly break it in and treat them well, will trash the engines quick, sometimes within a gallon of fuel. Needing a new piston and sleeve, if even available. Then you need a new Engine altogether. Pull starters break all the time. (n) I use a Starter Box for mine now. An additional $100. cost right there
Unless you ever actually owned one, and in front of you, you would realize they are very messy, You will spend much more time tuning them. They are far from plug and play.
I last paid $70. a gallon for Nitro fuel a few years ago. And it goes bad very quickly, Becaue it abosorbs water/moisture. if it sits around unused once you unseal the container. Wasted $$. A year later the fuel is weak, Prevents starts and has tuning issues.
Nitros are gaining less and less popularity by the year. It petered out some time ago. A nich RC segment now. Why you never see any new models out there like Electrics. Just selling old platforms from years past. Maybe just changing the body to modern looking ones if that, and upping the price to keep up. Brands have been trying to make them popular again for the $$$.

If you have the itch for one, get it out of your system and get very a cheap one. 1/10 scale. You will understand it better perhaps. I have 2 old TA Nitros. Run them maybe once a year. Can't get parts any longer for them. Engine parts also. Changing clutch parts and Clutch bearings frequently is the norm.
They drive differently than electrics do. Some say they like the feel of it. The smell of them, the Noise which gets tiring after a while etc. etc. Fuel stains your clothes. They stink too much to store in your home. These days Nitro can't hold a candle to Electrics for bashing. It's a dying powerplant platform. Trust me. Don't let the influencer videos sway you. Pro Track running 1/8 Nitro races the same. BLX Electrics are way faster. A Fact.
And they have NO Reverse FWIW.
Glow Plugs cost a fortune and wear out often if not tuned correctly. They used to be a $3.00 part. Now they can be $18. each. Glow plugs can fail with a minute of running. Gets rather expensive. And sometimes hard to find the "Correct Plug" And there are specific types you need depending on the outside temps etc., Nitros not being popular, all because they don't sell much of the Nitro platforms in general.
They are already a Dead breed of RC right now.
Do more research instead of watching Influencer videos of nitro racing. Don't let the noise and smell fool you. They "just sound" like they are fast too, But not. Nitros are not a thing these days.
Enjoy. :cool:

Last edited:
Maintenance and tuning them if your good at tuning then your fine but like my race rc planes (nitro) I pay a guy 200-300$ to tune it but that’s also for extreme competitive racing but if you just want to bash and casually race your good

I would not get an 8ight stock clutch bell is discontinued and unavailable for purchase anywhere losa 9121

I appreciate you all taking the time to explain why I’ll never buy one! Thank you! 😂 I have a ton of electric rigs I can rack up more CC debt! Next purchase is a Spektrum pro radio. I’d like one for all my rigs and convert my TA carpet cars. Mini B is already converted! 12 rigs. 12 radios. Lol. I’m done!
11 radios. My mini b is my 3S Typhon radio.

It is my belief that any true RC'er needs to have at least one nitro in the fleet otherwise do you even RC bro?

Love my GT2.
Love my Jato.
Love my NTC3.

Practice and pay attention to tuning it's not rocket science like most make it out to be.

I appreciate you all taking the time to explain why I’ll never buy one! Thank you! 😂 I have a ton of electric rigs I can rack up more CC debt! Next purchase is a Spektrum pro radio. I’d like one for all my rigs and convert my TA carpet cars. Mini B is already converted! 12 rigs. 12 radios. Lol. I’m done!
11 radios. My mini b is my 3S Typhon radio.
Didn't want to put you off getting a nitro. now I'm older & have some spare time I am thinking about getting a nitro. brushless motors big high-power lipos & ESC tech are now the king but it's always fun to put the time into a new skill even if its old tech.

Last edited:
I've been running nitro since I was a kid.. I don't mean to offend anyone but I cannot understand the difficulty some have. I learned on a nitro stampede on my own and ran 6 gallons before selling the truck after getting a nitro rustler.

They really aren't that messy... if you use an exhaust turn down on the pipe you can keep most everything off of them.

If you don't try to turn over a hydro locked/ flooded engine pull starts hold up just fine...

Glow plugs are a very rare thing to need unless you run a stupid wonky tune.

Tuning is actually stupid easy and if you seriously just read the instructions they are usually right on with how to get it close... if you see blue smoke your good. If you don't and keep going your gonna burn it up..

I'm not saying nitro is better...... its different. I absolutely love bashing nitro cause when I run out I can fill it up and keep going. Mine stay clean enough that If I don't clean them, store them in the house, and wife has no idea.

On that note, I wouldn't buy the Losi. They are discontinuing a lot of parts for it from what I've heard.

This pic below is my nitro slash Jenny rc special I built last year when they had all the parts listed stupid cheap. As you'll see I threw an old school mip pipe on there and flipped the header so literally all the exhaust came out back and absolutely kept the truck 100% clean. Life bit of creativity makes life easy. Plus it sounded like a dirtbike with the ting ting sound in that pipe 🤣

20230618_142533.jpg

Last edited:
They are quite more Expensive to run and maintain and need much disposable items to keep running them. Constant maintenance and storage procedures. From the Oiled filters to after run maintenance. Fail to properly break it in and treat them well, will trash the engines quick, sometimes within a gallon of fuel. Needing a new piston and sleeve, if even available. Then you need a new Engine altogether. Pull starters break all the time. (n) I use a Starter Box for mine now. An additional $100. cost right there
Unless you ever actually owned one, and in front of you, you would realize they are very messy, You will spend much more time tuning them. They are far from plug and play.
I last paid $70. a gallon for Nitro fuel a few years ago. And it goes bad very quickly, Becaue it abosorbs water/moisture. if it sits around unused once you unseal the container. Wasted $$. A year later the fuel is weak, Prevents starts and has tuning issues.
Nitros are gaining less and less popularity by the year. It petered out some time ago. A nich RC segment now. Why you never see any new models out there like Electrics. Just selling old platforms from years past. Maybe just changing the body to modern looking ones if that, and upping the price to keep up. Brands have been trying to make them popular again for the $$$.

If you have the itch for one, get it out of your system and get very a cheap one. 1/10 scale. You will understand it better perhaps. I have 2 old TA Nitros. Run them maybe once a year. Can't get parts any longer for them. Engine parts also. Changing clutch parts and Clutch bearings frequently is the norm.
They drive differently than electrics do. Some say they like the feel of it. The smell of them, the Noise which gets tiring after a while etc. etc. Fuel stains your clothes. They stink too much to store in your home. These days Nitro can't hold a candle to Electrics for bashing. It's a dying powerplant platform. Trust me. Don't let the influencer videos sway you. Pro Track running 1/8 Nitro races the same. BLX Electrics are way faster. A Fact.
Glow Plugs cost a fortune and wear out often if not tuned correctly. They used to be a $3.00 part. Now they can be $18. each. Glow plugs can fail with a minute of running. Gets rather expensive. And sometimes hard to find the "Correct Plug" And there are specific types you need depending on the outside temps etc., Nitros not being popular, all because they don't sell much of the Nitro platforms in general.
Do more research instead of watching Influencer videos of nitro racing. Don't let the noise and smell fool you. They "just sound" like they are fast too, But not. Nitros are not a thing these days.
^^^^^^^^ all facts...been there. Not knocking nitros, they can be fun...just to high maintenance for me.

well said in other words there a total nightmare had a few years ago never again

I've been running nitro since I was a kid.. I don't mean to offend anyone but I cannot understand the difficulty some have. I learned on a nitro stampede on my own and ran 6 gallons before selling the truck after getting a nitro rustler.

They really aren't that messy... if you use an exhaust turn down on the pipe you can keep most everything off of them.

If you don't try to turn over a hydro locked/ flooded engine pull starts hold up just fine...

Glow plugs are a very rare thing to need unless you run a stupid wonky tune.

Tuning is actually stupid easy and if you seriously just read the instructions they are usually right on with how to get it close... if you see blue smoke your good. If you don't and keep going your gonna burn it up..

I'm not saying nitro is better...... its different. I absolutely love bashing nitro cause when I run out I can fill it up and keep going. Mine stay clean enough that If I don't clean them, store them in the house, and wife has no idea.

On that note, I wouldn't buy the Losi. They are discontinuing a lot of parts for it from what I've heard.

This pic below is my nitro slash Jenny rc special I built last year when they had all the parts listed stupid cheap. As you'll see I threw an old school mip pipe on there and flipped the header so literally all the exhaust came out back and absolutely kept the truck 100% clean. Life bit of creativity makes life easy. Plus it sounded like a dirtbike with the ting ting sound in that pipe 🤣

View attachment 306670

Loved the sound of those old MIP's.. 😎

well said in other words there a total nightmare had a few years ago never again
Nitro is a PITA, in a nutshell....:ROFLMAO:
I'm guilty also, twice over.
It is considered a vintage class. It was big in its hey day. That was before Lipos and BLX electrics showed up on the scene (2004)
Nitro dominted Brushed motors back then, for power and speed. You have to have a good working knowledge of ICE to run them well.
You really need someone with good knowledge teach you one on one. Learning on your own will be hard. And frustrating.
It's a different way of RC'ing. You are always reaching for the Fuel bottle, bringing it back in for fuel up and you keep going. If you burn a pint +/= in 40min run, you did well. You start it and keep it running till you are done for the day. The best way to run them. Stopping and startng frequenty messes them up. Engine head needs to reach 200-215F and stay there. Cooldowns/ shut off is not needed. Nitro itself is a coolant depending how rich you are. The Head is air cooled.

Last edited:
Nitro is a PITA, in a nutshell....:ROFLMAO:
I'm guilty also, twice over.
It is considered a vintage class. It was big in its hey day. That was before Lipos and BLX electrics showed up on the scene (2004)
Nitro dominted Brushed motors back then, for power and speed. You have to have a good working knowledge of ICE to run them well.
You really need someone with good knowledge teach you one on one. Learning on your own will be hard. And frustrating.
It's a different way of RC'ing. You are always reaching for the Fuel bottle, bringing it back in for fuel up and you keep going. If you burn a pint +/= in 40min run, you did well. You start it and keep it running till you are done for the day. The best way to run them. Stopping and startng frequenty messes them up. Engine head needs to reach 200-215F and stay there. Cooldowns/ shut off is not needed. Nitro itself is a coolant depending how rich you are. The Head is air cooled.
Your bringing back memories and a headache just reading your post's. :LOL:
I used to buy that cheap nitro called cool power or omega....was like 10% nitro.:LOL:

Nitro is a PITA, it's really no differant than figureing out brushless/lipo combos though. I would rather run nitro all day then have to stop to change batteries put dead ones on the charger.

Last edited:
I agree with everyone on this topic. I am only a little over a year into the hobby, but I did rebuild an old classic Traxxas T Maxx. I have only driven it a couple times since the build, but from what it originally looked like I am proud of it. I paid very little for it but put a little money into it. The motor was close to a electric motor in cost. Everything else was reasonable (stock). Don't worry, it is the only Traxxas I own. 😆 The other 5 (6 with the one on the way) are Arrma's.

20221002_023337.jpg

20221002_023700.jpg

20221002_023909.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back