Thoughts on leopard 58113

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On a brighter note, Castle have just released the new 2028 800kv sensored motor, so maybe the new 12S ESC that they were proposing years ago will soon follow. That would be the speed runners dream with a TP motor, and i may even have to try it out myself

I was looking at that motor too and emailed Castle. Got a reply saying it will be available in March. I heard from a little birdy the reason its not readily available now is because of a bankruptcy they recently settled on. Don't know if that's true or not..

I was looking at that motor too and emailed Castle. Got a reply saying it will be available in March. I heard from a little birdy the reason its not readily available now is because of a bankruptcy they recently settled on. Don't know if that's true or not..
Not surprising.
there products used to be good. But now hobbywing and leopard make better motors. They can’t compleat.

Not surprising.
there products used to be good. But now hobbywing and leopard make better motors. They can’t compleat.
Hobbywing and leopard now make better motors than castlecreations?

1580074236871.jpeg

The one and only post i looked at was with a Max6 and the Arrma 2050kv on 8S. Who does that!!! :rolleyes:
You would go with a TP 40xx motor than can handle 50V or more. Anyway..........

All speed runners know the Max6 or Max5 aren't good for that, they haven't got the software for it. There's no way of tinkering with current limiting like you can with the XLX. The Max's have an over current protection, and for good reason. Plus it's a simple plug 'n play ESC

The speed runners choose the XLX because it's a short 7secs or less with the current unlimited, and they're prepared to take the risk of it catching fire - although the "unlimited" max current is actually only 400amp. Allot of them are turning to the Flier or Alien ESC's now anyway.

On the large scale side, the XLX fails at providing enough continuous power for a 58113 size motor in a heavy 1/5 rig, it will sh*t itself.
It also fails at providing a burst current that will see said rig doing a wheelie
The Max5 on the other hand will provide a rock solid continuous 200amps without breaking a sweat until your batteries run out. It will also see said rig doing a wheelie. Allot of die hard Castle fans are even turning to the Max5 now for good reason
Those 2 differences i can certainly confirm, and i'm sure countless others can also

They both have their uses. You claiming the figures are bogus, is purely based on lack of knowledge, no offense btw :)

Castle XLX - cont. (safe/default) amps - 160, burst amps - 400
HW Max5 - cont. amps - 200, burst amps - 1000

On a brighter note, Castle have just released the new 2028 800kv sensored motor, so maybe the new 12S ESC that they were proposing years ago will soon follow. That would be the speed runners dream with a TP motor, and i may even have to try it out myself

No one who is actually fast is running Flier/Alien more than 2 times. They catch fire 95% of the time.

My point was only around the amperage claims, because I have used both, and know exactly what happens when the load (gearing) is such to create the scenario to draw more amps for more than a short burst. I would like to at some point setup a test bench in order to "dyno" motors and ESCs to see what the amperage actually is along with total wattage output. My theory has always been that the XLX is not moving anywhere near 300+ amps. I would love to prove it one day. The consumer available LiPos cannot deliver extended 300+ amps more than a brief 2-3 seconds as only one has tested above 50c output. (Turnigy Panther)

With all of that said... for a basher not ran for speed HobbyWing is my ESC of choice! They take more abuse and keep on going due to that programming safety built in.

I’ve been looking for the 58113 1050kv but it’s sold out, damn Coronavirus.
If anyone had an extra 58113 1050kv I would scoop it up in a heart beat.

Last edited:
I’ve been looking for the 58113 1050kv but it’s sold out, damn Coronavirus.
If anyone had an extra 58113 1050kv I would scoop it up in a heart beat.

It’s a great setup matched with a MAX5 and 34T pinion. I would ballpark 60mph and terrain shredding low end power. I’m more then happy with mine.

Attachments

• EB3A594E-ED3B-4ED8-9414-027ABD6929CD.jpeg
    EB3A594E-ED3B-4ED8-9414-027ABD6929CD.jpeg
    379 KB · Views: 118
  • B4DF7F01-609F-4587-B555-ED3A99902538.jpeg
    B4DF7F01-609F-4587-B555-ED3A99902538.jpeg
    291.6 KB · Views: 118
  • 28E0477D-E119-4E73-A5A5-ED555A0D38F8.jpeg
    28E0477D-E119-4E73-A5A5-ED555A0D38F8.jpeg
    433.1 KB · Views: 130
Look at the posts on Limitless builds this last week. There have been 2 about using 1/8 motors with the HW 1/5 scale esc's cutting amps when they get up around 90mph. Yet the XLX can take those cars to 150mph. The only real advantage of the 1/5 HobbyWing esc is that it is larger (more cooling) and the ability to run upto 34volts.

Claimed numbers are bogus.
u sure they aren't running the max 6 or 8?

u sure they aren't running the max 6 or 8?
May have been a max6, but I watch speed run content like a crazed stalker. Never seen the max5 outperform castle. That said the max5 makes a great esc for anything other than speed runs.
I ran 72mph with my Xmaxx using the max5.

May have been a max6, but I watch speed run content like a crazed stalker. Never seen the max5 outperform castle. That said the max5 makes a great esc for anything other than speed runs.
I ran 72mph with my Xmaxx using the max5.
I agree. I really wish tekin would do a 1/5 sensored combo. I feel like it would be insane.

Last edited:
What do you guys think of a tp power 5860 990kv with a 41t and a max 5? Too much gearing?max amp draw on the motor is 210. Sorry if off topic but seems logically related

I wonder what c rating and gearing. @LibertyMKiii
Phillip has been running 150+ mph with those same CNHL 70c LiPo packs in some other 1/8 GT cars.
Lots of people have been really liking them. As for gear ratio and KV that we will never know (Top Secret)

Phillip has been running 150+ mph with those same CNHL 70c LiPo packs in some other 1/8 GT cars.
Lots of people have been really liking them. As for gear ratio and KV that we will never know (Top Secret)
ahh ok. I thought one of his videos said he was trying new batteries. Probably an older one though. I think he was running the limitless

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back