Big Rock Tool for Removing and placing back bearings on input gear

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m71295

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Has anyone figured an easy way to do this ? It`s too much hassle for what it is. Is there any specific tool i can buy ? I saw this but obviously it is huge.

f8i5rqo309681.jpg

For placement I just open a vice large enough for the plastic shaft to slip through and then place the bearing on top and press down on the input gear and it goes in pretty easily.

Removal is using the two flathead screwdrivers as mentioned above - but I just replace the bearings so I don’t try to be gentle about it and worry about damaging the shields, etc.

For installation:

Take the gear and put it in the freezer.

Take the bearing and heat it up with a heat gun.

Wala...

For removal, use 2 flathead screwdrivers and twist pry away evenly.
Yes, the gear is actually in our freezer now. Will try it. However what do you use to push the bearing down the gear ? I was thinking of buying some hollow 10mm pipe and hammer it down or i don`t know. There must be a tool designed for both purposes somewhere.

Yes, the gear is actually in our freezer now. Will try it. However what do you use to push the bearing down the gear ? I was thinking of buying some hollow 10mm pipe and hammer it down or i don`t know. There must be a tool designed for both purposes somewhere.

Now If you heat the bearing up, you use elbow grease and push the bearing onto the gear shaft.

I've seen and used sockets the same size as the bearing and a rubber mallet or light taps from a regular hammer in a vise.

I can't help on getting the bearing off the shaft without damaging it. But for installing stubborn bearings on to shafts, I use a deep-dish socket that is the size of the inner bearing race. Put the socket, drive end down, on a firm surface, and then tap the gear lightly on the end to drive it into the bearing. Or you can do the reverse, where the gear is on the firm surface and you use the socket to bush the bearing on the shaft. I've done it successfully both ways.

I noticed one of the bearing (the inner one) moves with more force required than the other. I`ve no idea when it becomes bad. I just feel a tiny friction inside of it or something like rubbing. Could be that i pushed the seal into it when removing. Shouldn`t be a big deal right ? What`s the most that can happen ?

I noticed one of the bearing (the inner one) moves with more force required than the other. I`ve no idea when it becomes bad. I just feel a tiny friction inside of it or something like rubbing. Could be that i pushed the seal into it when removing. Shouldn`t be a big deal right ? What`s the most that can happen ?
You don't want to know!! Bearings have a very prominent duty to perform.. when one seizes, fails, or grenades.. It can potentially be Catastrophic!!💥
Something like this would work, i do see pinion and gear pullers that might work as well, i googled rc bearing puller tool and see some possible items that might work fairly well!!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Wheel-Pull...2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing guys!

Always good to know of different methods of removing these pesky bearings when they get stuck!

I'll make mental notes on these solutions.

I think I’m approved to use the incorrect American English version of voila..😂
Haha I was reading the "a" like in "hat" - thought it was an acronym for something I didn't understand... even Googled it :) figured it was nothing to do with the worldwide Australian labradoodle association!

I find the harder you try and remove the worse it gets because invariably you're forcing one side more than another and getting binding. Less is more. Gentle taps with a tiny hammer and that poop old screwdriver around in a circle works well.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back