Truck Bed Liner vs. Shoo Goo etc..

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was wondering the same. Flex-seal is useless imho, just tried it on a section. I took the Shoegoo route again.
Flex-seal is good to cover up the mess though, it now comes in black and white.

I have used brushed on bedliner with drywall tape on my kraton body and spray on liner only on my infraction body. I've never used shoegoe so I can't say how it compares but it seems to work well for me.

20200809_143637.jpg

I had a buddy coat my old Senton body to see what it'd do and it turned out okay, the body kinda deformed a little with the thick liner on it while it was drying but it came out okay...still think shoe goo is best for this application as it's easier to get and adheres really well to the paint/lexan whereas most plastic coatings tend to peel which mine did. Took the paint right off as it was deforming during drying. Thinking we may have put a little too much on to start but it's hard not to lay it on thick with that sprayer :(
I have used brushed on bedliner with drywall tape on my kraton body and spray on liner only on my infraction body. I've never used shoegoe so I can't say how it compares but it seems to work well for me.

View attachment 98332
I think our failure was spraying it on too thick, maybe brushing is the better method in this case or learning to control the spray? The big difference I noticed is bed liner is much more hard, plastic feeling versus the rubber feeling of shoe goo...I like the flexibility of shoe goo so I'll stick with that.

Has anyone tried using spray on truck bed liner vs. Shoo goo for body reinforcement? Thought it might be worth a try next time I need a body.

cheers,
kev
I've been using Gorilla tape for a while now, and I'm having better results than with Shoe Goo/dry wall tape method. What's made it work better for me is using a heat gun after applying each strip. This makes it more pliable so you can press it down and into all the curves and crevices.

I've been using Gorilla tape for a while now, and I'm having better results than with Shoe Goo/dry wall tape method. What's made it work better for me is using a heat gun after applying each strip. This makes it more pliable so you can press it down and into all the curves and crevices.
I do the same ?
Recently I tried the T-Rex tape on my K8S and find it to be slightly stronger. ? I can’t even tear it crossways... it has to be cut. The heat gun is a key part tho!

https://www.amazon.com/T-REX-Feroci...hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4583795261006542&psc=1

How much Shoe Goo would a body take? One tube is 109ml / 3.7 oz.
I already ordered tape because that’s less difficult too scr3w up?.
At a DIY shop I saw a bucket of rubber seal, which is a black silicone based seal used for repearing leaks on your roof for example waterproof again. Anyone familiar with that?

Last edited:
I just find that shoo goo is a PITA to spread. I watched Rich’s new video stating he used 3 tubes of goo on his body......holy crap that’s a lot. Guess when ya send it like he does..........ya need a lot.
thx for the replies guys.

cheers,
kev

Extensive article, thx Slick.
I like letting others do the leg work. Seems this guy does drywall tape, shoo goo, then 3m rubber spray for the best results, ( in his opinion)

Last edited:
How much Shoe Goo would a body take? One tube is 109ml / 3.7 oz.
I already ordered tape because that’s less difficult too scr3w up?.
At a DIY shop I saw a bucket of rubber seal, which is a black silicone based seal used for repearing leaks on your roof for example waterproof again. Anyone familiar with that?
I usually do 1 tube/body. I get them from Amazon myself, a lot cheaper than in the stores.

That rubber seal stuff is only good to cover your mess imho. Some drywall tape looks yellow and could show. Only have limited experience but it doesn't seem to give any structual stability. It will cover cracks but will not prevent them form happening, again in my limited experience with a body that already had some cracks. Maybe drywall tape plus this stuff will work.

I just find that shoo goo is a PITA to spread. I watched Rich’s new video stating he used 3 tubes of goo on his body......holy crap that’s a lot. Guess when ya send it like he does..........ya need a lot.
thx for the replies guys.

cheers,
kev

Extensive article, thx Slick.
I like letting others do the leg work. Seems this guy does drywall tape, shoo goo, then 3m rubber spray for the best results, ( in his opinion)
I know this is an old thread but man! This dude researched the heck out of this!! I will try his best result. Ordering the rubberized stuff tonight.

Gorilla tape has been my go to and done extremely well for my 1/10 scale bodies, but my kraton exb body is not fairing as well with it. Split at the hood ridge line right through the tape, I couldn’t believe it.

40EFE406-B0DD-4603-BDAF-27943ED1D188.jpeg

9033BE91-351C-412D-A6C1-F7B2B68606ED.jpeg

Gorilla tape has been my go to and done extremely well for my 1/10 scale bodies, but my kraton exb body is not fairing as well with it. Split at the hood ridge line right through the tape, I couldn’t believe it.

View attachment 148761

View attachment 148762
Ouch…I don’t think 5 Second Fix will help that 😂 (love that stuff and use it often)
I have always gorilla taped everything so am trying this for the first time. Just curious.

I just started another new body reinforcing for the 3s. And sticking with method # 3 that I used for my Senton 6S body. Recently, I had a GREAT test on its effectiveness. A 63mph head on smash into a Kraton. And not a single crack. Not even at the post holes and the front bulkhead was just about tore off.

I used concrete board polymer tape. If people just realized just how weak drywall fiber tape is.
And I used PL Premium. A polyurethane construction adhesive. This time, I'm using a more expensive version of the same thing, PL Max. See a pattern? Most call the body material "Lexan" but it's actual name is "Polycarbonate".
And don't just lay the reinforcing material along covering the inner body surface. Be smart about it using simple engineering tactics. I lay mine in strips designed to "hold" high damage areas.

I just started another new body reinforcing for the 3s. And sticking with method # 3 that I used for my Senton 6S body. Recently, I had a GREAT test on its effectiveness. A 63mph head on smash into a Kraton. And not a single crack. Not even at the post holes and the front bulkhead was just about tore off.

I used concrete board polymer tape. If people just realized just how weak drywall fiber tape is.
And I used PL Premium. A polyurethane construction adhesive. This time, I'm using a more expensive version of the same thing, PL Max. See a pattern? Most call the body material "Lexan" but it's actual name is "Polycarbonate".
And don't just lay the reinforcing material along covering the inner body surface. Be smart about it using simple engineering tactics. I lay mine in strips designed to "hold" high damage areas.
Wow! Thanks!
Wow! Thanks!
So…what happened to the Kraton?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back