Truck Bed Liner vs. Shoo Goo etc..

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ever since I found this butyl tape, I've been using it instead of anything else. I got a deal on the box of 24 for $80 a while back so I did up a bunch of bodies for the locals & the LHS guys I bash with.

Ever since I found this butyl tape, I've been using it instead of anything else. I got a deal on the box of 24 for $80 a while back so I did up a bunch of bodies for the locals & the LHS guys I bash with.
How’s the flex seal paste body holding up? I was thinking of giving that a shot.

Thanks! What makes it so good? I know nothing about butyl tape…

Thanks! What makes it so good? I know nothing about butyl tape…
It's basically a thick vinyl with 3M tape attached to it. It will stick to anything. It will stick to anything & works best when simply laid down, pressed, &m not stretched. It's just as easy to use as duct tape but the protection is unrivalled, even by shoe goo. If you go over the whole application with a heat gun afterwards, you can forget about ever trying to remove it.
How’s the flex seal paste body holding up? I was thinking of giving that a shot.
It's just as good as shoe goo, if not better since it's much thicker. It's just really heavy.

It's basically a thick vinyl with 3M tape attached to it. It will stick to anything. It will stick to anything & works best when simply laid down, pressed, &m not stretched. It's just as easy to use as duct tape but the protection is unrivalled, even by shoe goo. If you go over the whole application with a heat gun afterwards, you can forget about ever trying to remove it.

It's just as good as shoe goo, if not better since it's much thicker. It's just really heavy.
Thanks! That is some handy stuff to know about. Much appreciated!

Flexseal holds well but does nothing to protect your body. It will not stick to backside of tape and peels off quickly.
I used to to seat the back of the shoegoo/tape mix and make it look a little better. I'll never buy it again for RC items.

I did the shoe goo method. It was terrible to apply, and a major pain. I got it finished and for the next body did gorilla tape. 100x easier and has been just as durable.

Yes 10$ liner. Extra gorrilla tape in main areas. Has anyone sat the body posts all the way down?? Problems? Trim front of the body to make it fit?

16230478109266476010501456401263.jpg

Up date:The one on the left is the 6s body, same one involved in the 63mph head on smack. The one one the right is the 3s body. The 6s used PL Premium and the 3s PL Max. I found the Max to be easier to work and trowel. And if the manufacturer is right, it SHOULD work even better. Both used a polymer Concreteboard tape.
16233757785255806999736688691150.jpg

Note: because I have had messages about the one on the left, the regular drywall tape you see was only used on top to screen vent openings, make the wire holders, and mount the fans. It's thinner and more flexible and therefore better suited for those purposes.
As noted above, yes I had to carve away some material around post holes to allow body to seat properly for the pins.
16233760797828229896468168823366.jpg

That was an awesome write-up you did.. Nice work and very useful. I've got something I'm going to try. Loctite industrial adhesive spray-o and a roofing mesh I have. I'm going to try your method of strap for the post holes. Again thanks for sharing your post..
I didn't make that, MailmanX did, I'm Slick2500 on every forum that I am on. I just stumbled upon it one day.

How about using Fiberglass fabric and resin? Anyone try that yet?
At some point you can spend big dollars on lining a body. It gets so expensive, I am at a point I rarely bother. Tried many things. Body still cracks etc.
I just use Gorilla tape at the obvious body post holes and some tape here and there. I add tape as needed when I crack the body. I don't care any more. I rather paint another body down the road. They all look like crap after bashing anyway. Just me. I just want the body to remain attached and I am good.:LOL:

I didn't make that, MailmanX did, I'm Slick2500 on every forum that I am on. I just stumbled upon it one day.
Ahhh.. I didn't notice the poster on the write-up, just started reading.. Thanks for the clarification. Good article anyway..

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back