Granite Uodated: Cogging at mid throttle/2800kv swap

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just slipped in the 2800 kv with a 20t. I think I could do the resting backflip if I had my wheels bar. This things got some torque....and some heat. did not get to run it very long. It is dark outside and I usually run into stuff when it's dark.
Same here. When it's dark I'm usually on the beer and tend to run em hard and loose with abandon. Street signs jump in the way.
I do like the midnight speed runs on my street at home and love to step out and step in when neighbors start investigating the noise. Their cats fear the chase too.

I got to run the car for about 10 minutes today. Within the first five minutes I broke a axle. five minutes later I broke the exact same one again?!?! not sure why I broke the same one twice

I got to run the car for about 10 minutes today. Within the first five minutes I broke a axle. five minutes later I broke the exact same one again?!?! not sure why I broke the same one twice

As in you broke it, replaced it with a new one and then it broke again?

yes! But how?? nothing traumatic happened

Its happened to me. I think there are batches of those shafts that are just weak. Also, if you are running that 2800kv motor it may be producing more torque. That's just a guess.

Its happened to me. I think there are batches of those shafts that are just weak. Also, if you are running that 2800kv motor it may be producing more torque. That's just a guess.
yes I can definitely feel that it has more torque. I was expecting to break one of the weaker axles in the back that I have pieced back together when the knuckle came apart.

yes I can definitely feel that it has more torque. I was expecting to break one of the weaker axles in the back that I have pieced back together when the knuckle came apart.

Kudos to you for getting it back together. I tried popping the U-joint back together once and couldn't do it.

Did the pins pull out or did it actually tear the plastic tabs?

Kudos to you for getting it back together. I tried popping the U-joint back together once and couldn't do it.

I couldn't tell. by the time I realized it was broken the shaft was gone. it came apart/broke at the back of the wheel. so the outer part (slider) is gone, but the u-joint is still there

usually when the u joint pops out, one of the tabs on the shaft it came your of will be flared out a little bit. or the tiny hole is it if round. stick the tiny arm of the u joint in the tab that is not bent/damaged. you can cram it all the way down in the hole. them as you push down on that tab you can slide the other side over the end of the other arm. you will see the tabs start to spread out...but keep going. it'll pop right in when you get close enough

then get a pair of needle nose pliers and find your wife's hair dryer. warm up the tabs that the u joint came out of for about 2 minutes. when they become soft, squeeze them together real good with the pliers while running cold water on it.

usually when the u joint pops out, one of the tabs on the shaft it came your of will be flared out a little bit. or the tiny hole is it if round. stick the tiny arm of the u joint in the tab that is not bent/damaged. you can cram it all the way down in the hole. them as you push down on that tab you can slide the other side over the end of the other arm. you will see the tabs start to spread out...but keep going. it'll pop right in when you get close enough

then get a pair of needle nose pliers and find your wife's hair dryer. warm up the tabs that the u joint came out of for about 2 minutes. when they become soft, squeeze them together real good with the pliers while running cold water on it.

I've actually thought of all of that (but thanks for posting it!), but my concern is that it will never be as strong as it was and that wasn't strong enough to begin with. I have so many spares laying around that I just toss the broken one and put a new one on. I even had Horizon Hobby send me a set under warranty. That was after the 5th or 6th broken one. Now that I have the HR metal ones, it's all a distant memory. Until I run my BRCC ?

I also find it odd how much the blx100 cogs at the start when my goolrc 3800kv is smooth as butter. Though not exactly geared the same

well I got my 3rd motor and pinion from Horizon today!!

Attachments

• 20190215_174432.jpg
    20190215_174432.jpg
    470.4 KB · Views: 39
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back