Granite updated warranty replacement motor fix

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackgoat04

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
how do you think this one will compare to the stock one. the guy from Horizon said it's a little bit stronger should I change my pinion gear to take advantage of the stronger motor?

how do you think this one will compare to the stock one. the guy from Horizon said it's a little bit stronger should I change my pinion gear to take advantage of the stronger motor?
Horizon really sent you this as a replacement? The factory granite motor is 3200kv. I'm guessing if you needed a replacement it got too hot and burned up?

If that's the case that fuze motor will run even hotter because its 3800kv. More kv = less torque and more RPM. Not sure why they would tell you that motor is "stronger".

Either way, I would step down to the next smallest pinion size, especially if you are running 3s. On 2S it may be ok with the stock pinion but I'd monitor the temps closely.

Horizon really sent you this as a replacement? The factory granite motor is 3200kv. I'm guessing if you needed a replacement it got too hot and burned up?

If that's the case that fuze motor will run even hotter because its 3800kv. More kv = less torque and more RPM. Not sure why they would tell you that motor is "stronger".

Either way, I would step down to the next smallest pinion size, especially if you are running 3s. On 2S it may be ok with the stock pinion but I'd monitor the temps closely.

Agree.

just trying to understand all this. new to the Hobby and kinda confusing stuff. I read this https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/motor-sizes-explained.10011/. which helped. so about size/torque....I measured both motors and they measure the same within less than 1mm. I know one screenshot says different so thats not helpful either. was the horizon rep basing the fact of it having higher rpm and same overall size as equating to slightly stronger motor?? I dunno. also confused on some other info the screenshots give about specific rpm vs rpm. explain to me like I'm 5!!!

info

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190207-210453_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20190207-210453_Chrome.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 49
  • Screenshot_20190207-210028_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20190207-210028_Chrome.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 59
  • Screenshot_20190207-210011_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20190207-210011_Chrome.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 44
The motors are basically the same size, so the kv is the only performance difference. It will be no better than the motor you burned up. Being a higher kv it spins faster but gets hotter, so you need to gear down and keep it cool. If you gear it down correctly it'll have the same speed (but same heat) as your old motor on the stock gearing. No improvement, sorry :(.
Simplified explanation below.
High kv=more speed, less torque. Less torque means more heat, so you gear down.
Low kv= less speed, more torque. More torque means it runs very cool, so you can gear up.
But because the motors are the same size, after sorting out the gearing, they will run the same speed at the same temp.

However, if that dynamite motor is physically made of higher quality, it will be a better motor (obviously) but what's said above is if the motors are made on the same budget and materials.

You burn one motor that is fairly new to the market whose quality is basically unknown. So they send you a motor known for overheating & burning up on 3s. ? This is why I don't deal with them. The stuff they put in trucks is already burnable trash, write-offs, & ebay fuel. This is like buying a smoke detector with a cheap dead battery & replacing it with another cheap dead battery . . .

The motors are basically the same size, so the kv is the only performance difference. It will be no better than the motor you burned up. Being a higher kv it spins faster but gets hotter, so you need to gear down and keep it cool. If you gear it down correctly it'll have the same speed (but same heat) as your old motor on the stock gearing. No improvement, sorry :(.
Simplified explanation below.
High kv=more speed, less torque. Less torque means more heat, so you gear down.
Low kv= less speed, more torque. More torque means it runs very cool, so you can gear up.
But because the motors are the same size, after sorting out the gearing, they will run the same speed at the same temp.

However, if that dynamite motor is physically made of higher quality, it will be a better motor (obviously) but what's said above is if the motors are made on the same budget and materials.
makes complete sense. thank you

You burn one motor that is fairly new to the market whose quality is basically unknown. So they send you a motor known for overheating & burning up on 3s. ? This is why I don't deal with them. The stuff they put in trucks is already burnable trash, write-offs, & ebay fuel. This is like buying a smoke detector with a cheap dead battery & replacing it with another cheap dead battery . . .
haha. sounds about right for most companies. maybe I can get some in store credit with it towards a decent motor at HobbyTown. or just run it till it burns and buy another. I emailed horizon again. will see what they say

Yeah, at some point, and in my opinion one of the many joys of the hobby, you get to decide how to make it better. I'd go with a Leopard 3660 or 3665 in the 2750-3200 if range. I also have a Turnigy 3660 that is 2750kv, I think that would be perfect. For monster trucks, even 1/10 scale, I always error on lower KV. It's easier to gear up with torque than it is to gear down from heat.

I emailed Horizon back this morning with my concerns. the guy said he ordered a pinion gear to be sent out to me. I suggested that instead he give me a in-store credit for the original cost of the stock motor which is $89. I told him if I was going to have to change the motor and pinion gear I would rather put a little bit of my own money with it and do a real upgrade to get more torque / speed versus putting in a new motor and pinion gear just to keep temperatures down. I would rather get on Horizons website and pick my own motor and pinion. I saw a post recently where someone spoke of a chart that had been made to give you an idea about what a motor and pinion combination would give you in terms of speed and temperatures or something like that

I just received an email back from Horizon warranty they said that they can probably give me a store credit but I would have to pick from one of their proprietary brands such as Dynamite, Losi, Kenexsis, Arrma, and Axial. I am at work and super busy was wondering if you guys had any suggestions from those brands of a motor I could use with my current ESC.

I think the Dynamite motor would be ok if it was the 2800kv one.

DYNS1614
off the top of your head do you know if that motor is compatible with the stock ESC in the granite 4x4 BLX 3s

off the top of your head do you know if that motor is compatible with the stock ESC in the granite 4x4 BLX 3s

Yeah, I don't think "compatibility" is really a item of concern. All sensorless brushless motors will work with that ESC. Not sure I really understand the question.

Yeah, I don't think "compatibility" is really a item of concern. All sensorless brushless motors will work with that ESC. Not sure I really understand the question.

Even if it is a huge motor, like a 5th scale?

Even if it is a huge motor, like a 5th scale?

It would work, if you had a good enough battery it would probably pull enough amps to destroy the ESC.....I feel like this is a trap.....

It would work, if you had a good enough battery it would probably pull enough amps to destroy the ESC.....I feel like this is a trap.....

lol..not a trap. kinda new to this. I've seen posts about guys having to switch ESC when upgrading motor. but it could be a different circumstance.

lol..not a trap. kinda new to this. I've seen posts about guys having to switch ESC when upgrading motor. but it could be a different circumstance

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back