Typhon Upgraded tires on Typhon

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Piecejointe

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
I got some "semi-decent" on and off-road tires (Louise/Duratrax en Reely) and the difference with the stock ones is night and day.
Onroad is to be expected, but offroad too, it's a game changer.
Why does Arrma include such poor tires with the car? The foam is also a disappointment, so soft it's basically nonexistent. Even cheap brands are much better.
What gives?

if you basher on dirt and gravel with 6s is a must, stock tires blew on my first run and they jump to sky 30 meters high, i bought the duratrax c2
and put fishing wire to prevent balloning and its hold up really good and can handle with 6s power.

Hey guys, first post - old guy with new car. :)

What are other tire options for this car?
Do any of the mounted tires on spoked wheels fit on it? Like the Duratrac ones on ebay and such?
I would like something for dirt and something for road, besides the stock ones.
I've done quite a bit of searching but not much comes up. And nothing seems to match the 115mm height of stock - most are shorter.
I like the 'Lockup' or 'Six Pack', or even 'Derringer': http://www.duratrax.com/tires/1-8buggy.html
Do their 'buggy wheels' fit? Do their tires fit the stock Typhon wheels?

Hey guys, first post - old guy with new car. :)

What are other tire options for this car?
Do any of the mounted tires on spoked wheels fit on it? Like the Duratrac ones on ebay and such?
I would like something for dirt and something for road, besides the stock ones.
I've done quite a bit of searching but not much comes up. And nothing seems to match the 115mm height of stock - most are shorter.
I like the 'Lockup' or 'Six Pack', or even 'Derringer': http://www.duratrax.com/tires/1-8buggy.html
Do their 'buggy wheels' fit? Do their tires fit the stock Typhon wheels?

Nearly every 1/8 buggy tire / wheel out therewill work, it's one of the easiest category of cars to shop for. The only thinng that's hard to find are "rally" type tires or tires that are both OK on and off-road.
Small diameter differences don't matter much.

20170826_165859.jpg
I have switchblade on Split six wheels. they are holding up well to 6S and moderate jumping...

Last edited:
Anyone have any recommendations for road wheels/tires? I want something long lasting to just bash around the streets, drift, etc. I don't want to give up speed so I want something with at least the same diameter as the stock tires.

I was going to order up a set of these 'Bandito' tire and wheel sets from Duratrax as well as the more offroad ones, the 'Lockup' below. $50 for a set of wheels and tires isn't too bad at all compared to some of the options for my scale crawler.

dtxc3655.jpg

dtxc3616.jpg

Those wheels/tires look pretty sweet. Do you know if they come pre-glued? I have a had a surprisingly difficult time super-gluing tires onto rims and getting them straight.

I have some Lockups, mounted on (I think) split six rims. They look cool, and are awesome bashing tires. Also decent on my local outdoor offroad track, especially when it is blown out. The biggest issue I have is that I keep blowing them off the rim. I bet I have re-glued them 20 times. 4s only, 14t pinion, 2350kv motor.

Oh, and the will shred you lawn... LOL Rooster tails of grass!

20160806_113251.jpg

Last edited:
I have some Lockups, mounted on (I think) split six rims. They look cool, and are awesome bashing tires. Also decent on my local outdoor offroad track, especially when it is blown out. The biggest issue I have is that I keep blowing them off the rim. I bet I have re-glued them 20 times. 4s only, 14t pinion, 2350kv motor.

Oh, and the will shred you lawn... LOL Rooster tails of grass!

View attachment 12032
Thanks for the information...sounds like the badlands that have quickly ruined my gravel road, lol.

What's up with those split six rims? They have a bead lock but you still have to glue them?

Bead-lock style - meaning they kind of look like beadlock. They are 100% glue. you can see in my pic of the blown rear tire.

Edit - oh and one more thought on the Lock-ups. I originally bought the unmounted tires so I could tape them - which I did with gorilla tape... After each of them blew off the rims, I found the tape inside had torn. I eventually unmounted them all with acetone, removed the tape, and re-glued. Around this time, I also swapped my 16t pinion for a 14t, and swapped in 100k oil into the center diff. After all of these changes, the tires blew off less - at a day at the track, I will normally get 2 or 3 batteries before blowing a glue bead, and now often only a 1/2 bead will fail - so I will just clean it a bit, glue it up and keep going.

Last edited:
Tell me more about the oil in the center diff...

What is stock and what does the 100k stuff do for you?

OK, so diff fluids -

Stock, I think they have 7k or 10k. Heavier weight = thicker fluid = slows down the diff action. My 100k is thick as a good molasses. Maybe thicker.

What I was seeing was that my front tires were blowing off the rims more often and ballooning bad on acceleration. Adding thicker diff fluid forced more power to the rear wheels / kept the front tire speed under control more. With this fluid, my front/rear blow-outs are pretty close to 50/50. For bashing some folks will use even higher weight oils 300k or 500k, sometimes even 1 million. Note that 500k and 1MM does not pour, you must spoon it out... LOL.

For racing, there is a whole science behind tuning diffs and how that effects power on / power off / braking / handling / cornering. Most of those guys, though will only use between 1k to 20k.

That is very interesting - thanks.

I've also got problems blowing off front tires. I thought it was because of excessive forces on the sidewalls during turning but maybe it's the ballooning.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back