Wasup guys 👋. Going to do some soldering for the first time and I need some advice / help 🙏 thx

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

King blitz

Don't just modify . customize .
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Outcast 6s
  4. Vendetta
  5. Infraction 4x4
So this is the one part of the hobby I haven't got in to yet..in the past I've brought my connectors to the lhs and I think it's time that i learn how to solder. I bought my first motor and ESC combo for my Big Papa long Rock project . It's a mamba monster 2 with a 2650 kv castle motor .the esc doesn't have any battery connectors so this is where I need help.the videos I saw they didn't use any flux . questions
1 do I need flux?
2 what temp does the iron have to be set at ?
3 what's a good type of solder?
4 what is a decent soldering iron that's not going to burn a hole in my wallet?🤣
5 what is a good helping hands unit ?
6 what would be the best type of battery connectors?
I do like the E C5 .I haven't had any issues with them yet but since the combo is by castle I saw castle connectors..are they better? Thank you guys for helping me and if I missed any newbie questions plz feel free to let me know.appreciate you all🙏😁

I'm going to 4s and I want to run two 2s lipo packs so is it best to get the esc solderd to a 2 way or should I just solder the battery connector to the negative and positive and then use the 2 way adapter?

Screenshot_20230308-204002.png

Screenshot_20230308-204018.png

Thx guys .yeah I'm in warwick.smithfeild is about 20 to 25 from me .👍 I'm down for what ever advice I get from you all.im a newbie in this part of the hobby.not gonna lei🤣

I'm going to 4s and I want to run two 2s lipo packs so is it best to get the esc solderd to a 2 way or should I just solder the battery connector to the negative and positive and then use the 2 way adapter?

View attachment 283990

View attachment 283991
Thx guys .yeah I'm in warwick.smithfeild is about ok 20 to 25 from me .👍 I'm down for what ever advice I get from you all.im a newbie in this part of the hobby.not gonna lei🤣
That is a parallel connector. It will take 2 x 2s batteries and make them one large 2s battery.

If you want to take 2 x 2s and make them 4s then you need to wire the connectors in series. like this:

C67CAD99-82F3-49E2-827E-3D797D60DB1C.png

I bought a nice Hakko 15+ years ago for working on audio gear and it still works like a champ.
That's good to hear that yours is still going strong after that many years. I purchased one last year and it made soldering for me at least so much easier.

That's good to hear that yours is still going strong after that many years. I purchased one last year and it made soldering for me at least so much easier.
Yeah, the Hakko’s are tanks, it works as good as when I first got it. The Hakko tips are top notch as well.

I was amazed at how much difference it made when I first got it. It’s one of the tools where buying a good one really does make a huge difference.

Thank you guys . appreciate you all.so what's a good temp to solder ? And what about the solder ? Should I get Rosin? And for the 3 way is it better to solder one to the esc or could I should solder in a single connector and then use a 3 way series connector adapter to it?

Thank you guys . appreciate you all.so what's a good temp to solder ? And what about the solder ? Should I get Rosin? And for the 3 way is it better to solder one to the esc or could I should solder in a single connector and then use a 3 way series connector adapter to it?
some say direct solder to avoid an another connector and voltage drop etc... I say use the connector so you can step up to a single 4s battery later. Just use connectors that are rated for your amperage.
Don't cheap out on the solder... use this stuff:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00068IJOU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And you will need a higher power iron to solder big bullets and XT90's etc. without melting the plastic connectors or wire sheath.. I use this guy, but its pricey.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ANZRT4M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I know a lot of guys who just use this for everything. Its actually a really capable iron. and as a bonus, you can do field repairs with the batteries you already have:

https://fpvcycle.com/products/ts100-portable-soldering-iron

Last edited:
some say direct solder to avoid an another connector and voltage drop etc... I say use the connector so you can step up to a single 4s battery later. Just use connectors that are rated for your amperage.

Don't cheap out on the solder... use this stuff:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00068IJOU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And you will need a higher power iron to solder big bullets and XT90's etc. without melting the plastic connectors or wire sheath.. I use this guy, but its pricey.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ANZRT4M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I know a lot of guys who just use this for everything. Its actually a really capable iron. and as a bonus, you can do field repairs with the batteries you already have:

https://fpvcycle.com/products/ts100-portable-soldering-iron
Thank you.so that's the other question that I need help on is castle makes them mint green adapters should I use them or does it matter if I solder in like ec5 ?

Thank you.so that's the other question that I need help on is castle makes them mint green adapters should I use them or does it matter if I solder in like ec5 ?

Castle Connectors = 200A continuous
ec5 = 120 A continuous
XT90 = 90 A continuous

Any of them will work fine for your application if they are soldered correctly. (none of them will work if not soldered properly.)

You also need flux... get a small tub of paste flux.

I would just use EC5 for your particular setup. You won’t be pulling any extreme levels of current.

Castle Connectors = 200A continuous
ec5 = 120 A continuous
XT90 = 90 A continuous

Any of them will work fine for your application if they are soldered correctly. (none of them will work if not soldered properly.)

You also need flux... get a small tub of paste flux.
So this is where I'm confused .why have I seen a few videos where they don't use flux..they pre tinn the wire then add solder to the iron then they solder? No flux .I don't understand why some use it and others don't
I would just use EC5 for your particular setup. You won’t be pulling any extreme levels of current.
I'm only planning on using 4s and that's as far as I intend on this build.if I got them castle connectors then I'd have to also change the connectors on my lipos and I do not want to mess with any soldering on lipos. Maybey use adapters?
Wow!
42 Pages worth of reading!!

I better go make a fresh pot of coffee pronto.
Yeah I know .lol it's a lot of reading and I actually fell asleep by the time I was half way .🤣 I almost read it twice just to make sure it registered in my brain .👍but it's very informative..I'm sure 42 pages could have been summed up to a lot less but I enjoy reading so it's all good ..when I get down to doing this I can allways come back here and review it again .
What temp should the iron be at ? I haven't read this part yet.i believe

Last edited:
So this is where I'm confused .why have I seen a few videos where they don't use flux..they pre tinn the wire then add solder to the iron then they solder? No flux .I don't understand why some use it and others don't

I'm only planning on using 4s and that's as far as I intend on this build.if I got them castle connectors then I'd have to also change the connectors on my lipos and I do not want to mess with any soldering on lipos. Maybey use adapters?

Yeah I know .lol it's a lot of reading and I actually fell asleep by the time I was half way .🤣 I almost read it twice just to make sure it registered in my brain .👍but it's very informative..I'm sure 42 pages could have been summed up to a lot less but I enjoy reading so it's all good ..when I get down to doing this I can allways come back here and review it again .
Flux is not necessary but makes soldering easier. I use it. The paste stuff. I didn’t like the pen or the liquid.

I don’t use adapters on battery connections. It’s an unnecessary potential point of failure.

With thick cables..
I'm thinking 300°+C should get the job done.

I've always just relied on whatever heat the tip will reach at the given/stated wattage.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back