What a great car this has been!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dude, that’s fantastic. Back when I was commuting 150 miles a day (plus a whole lot of extra miles joining jobs that I wasn’t running) I bought a brand new Hyundai Accent off the lot because it was the cheapest car I could find with great fuel economy. It was a total stripper, with roll-up windows, manual seats, no door clicker, cloth seats, yada, yada, yada. I gave it to my daughter two and half years later with 236,000 miles on the clock and not a single repair. I only put tires on it and did a single brake job. Crazy!
236k miles in 2 1/2 years!!? What you do for living? Uber cross country?

My BiL got a 2017 golf r with the apr stage 3 (?) tune on it for my sister shortly after they got married. Fastest car I've ever driven, I went 112 in it which is my pb right now, not much but I was running out of room. I will beat that record some day with this:
PXL_20240201_045154133_exported_1146_1707262368381.jpg

5.0 5 speed, TMU.

236k miles in 2 1/2 years!!? What you do for living? Uber cross country?
Yeah, it was pretty ridiculous. I was a site supervisor in the asbestos field and worked all over New England. 3:30 wake up every morning (unless it had to be earlier) and leave Vermont, cross the entire state of Massachusetts to the CT border and start my day at 6:00. Then drive to who knows where (VT, NH, MA, CT, NY, the states I was licensed in) and then reverse it all to get back home. My cars were consumables. The least mileage I ever did in a single year was around 60k, iirc. And that was normally me taking a company vehicle after I got to the shop in the morning, but if I was on a long term job I’d set up shop there and take my personal car back and forth to it. Lots of mileage on both the cars and on me, man. I did that for over 15 years before my wife said, “yo, you’ve made enough money, you’ve got to stop before you’re dead.” I went in the next day and gave my notice! 😂 I never would have done that on my own, but once I had her blessing I couldn’t get out of there fast enough! When the owner of the company found out he met me at the shop a few days later and offered me a huge raise and a $25k cash bonus to finish out the summer. I happily declined. I can’t remember if I ever told my wife that part…🤔

Yeah, it was pretty ridiculous. I was a site supervisor in the asbestos field and worked all over New England. 3:30 wake up every morning (unless it had to be earlier) and leave Vermont, cross the entire state of Massachusetts to the CT border and start my day at 6:00. Then drive to who knows where (VT, NH, MA, CT, NY, the states I was licensed in) and then reverse it all to get back home. My cars were consumables. The least mileage I ever did in a single year was around 60k, iirc. And that was normally me taking a company vehicle after I got to the shop in the morning, but if I was on a long term job I’d set up shop there and take my personal car back and forth to it. Lots of mileage on both the cars and on me, man. I did that for over 15 years before my wife said, “yo, you’ve made enough money, you’ve got to stop before you’re dead.” I went in the next day and gave my notice! 😂 I never would have done that on my own, but once I had her blessing I couldn’t get out of there fast enough! When the owner of the company found out he met me at the shop a few days later and offered me a huge raise and a $25k cash bonus to finish out the summer. I happily declined. I can’t remember if I ever told my wife that part…🤔
Wow Dan! 25k to finish summer!!!?? You must have really had it with that place!

Wow Dan! 25k to finish summer!!!?? You must have really had it with that place!
It was a good company to work for, and they compensated the supers well, including bonuses. I had mainly had it with the lack of sleep and three hours round trip commuting every day.

I have a 2011 BMW 328xi that I bought last summer. Lots of people said that it would be nothing but a headache, but 15k miles, 3 oil changes, coolant flush coolant flange(preventative) is all I I’ve done, other than a few mods!
SOME German cars are amazing. Most people remember the horror stories only. If you want to drive a car and treat it like dirt, buy an old Toyota or Honda.
I'm a big fan of BMW myself. When I lived in Texas my baby was a 2005 330i ZHP. Best car I've owned to date.
1716450774641.png

Yes, the license plate says STIG 1.

Some things are best left unsaid.

I'm a big fan of BMW myself. When I lived in Texas my baby was a 2005 330i ZHP. Best car I've owned to date.
View attachment 368111

Beautiful ride, man. They are just outrageously fantastic cars. When I was working in the Porsche/Audi field a lot of guys would show up for track days in M3’s. And year after year a well driven M3 could give the Porsche guys a bit of a spanking and it absolutely drove the 911 guys bananas. Some of those megalomaniacs might actually still be in therapy. 😂
From many standpoints it’s really tough to beat virtually any German car. Even VW. I could never afford a 911, but even my MK6 GTI could turn 1.00’s at Lime Rock.

PS, I’ve never seen that kind of plate in Texas. What kind was it?

Early 2000's 3 series 👌, always had a soft spot for those cars. Straight 6 :cool:

@parcou the IS350 is a nice ride! The earlier IS series with the straight 6 were "on the list" as well.

View attachment 368111

Some things are best left unsaid.
A sweet lookin ride indeed! I can't knock em, never had one. I am a big fan of the Asian cars myself. Goes with my income bracket I suppose, the most I can get for the least coin. Made in Japan have been the most reliable cars I've owned in my 35 years of driving. US domestics, no thanks. The German cars are out of my range..

A sweet lookin ride indeed! I can't knock em, never had one. I am a big fan of the Asian cars myself. Goes with my income bracket I suppose, the most I can get for the least coin. Made in Japan have been the most reliable cars I've owned in my 35 years of driving. US domestics, no thanks. The German cars are out of my range..
Thanks man. They aren't (or perhaps weren't, not sure what the scene looks like now) as expensive as you might expect. That's a 2005 that I bought in 2009. I paid $15k for it with something around 31k miles on it. It had leather upholstery, Alcantara trim, 6-speed manual somewhere in the vicinity of 260bhp. Don't get it twisted, I love me some rice burners. A very close second best car I owned was a 1991 Honda Civic VTEC (the European equivalent of the SiR they sold Stateside @160bhp). There's something about a four-banger that redlines at 8500rpm and feels most comfortable where most other engines are either out of chuff or gave up a long time ago around 6500rpm. Those VTEC engines are magical. With regular maintenance they'll last forever and a day. The S2000 got the best one though. Honda fettled with it and bumped it up to 240bhp with a 9000rpm redline and, best of all, it has RWD. Best 2-seat convertible hands down until you get into silly money like a Wiessmann MF3 or something like that.

Thanks man. They aren't (or perhaps weren't, not sure what the scene looks like now) as expensive as you might expect. That's a 2005 that I bought in 2009. I paid $15k for it with something around 31k miles on it. It had leather upholstery, Alcantara trim, 6-speed manual somewhere in the vicinity of 260bhp. Don't get it twisted, I love me some rice burners. A very close second best car I owned was a 1991 Honda Civic VTEC (the European equivalent of the SiR they sold Stateside @160bhp). There's something about a four-banger that redlines at 8500rpm and feels most comfortable where most other engines are either out of chuff or gave up a long time ago around 6500rpm. Those VTEC engines are magical. With regular maintenance they'll last forever and a day. The S2000 got the best one though. Honda fettled with it and bumped it up to 240bhp with a 9000rpm redline and, best of all, it has RWD. Best 2-seat convertible hands down until you get into silly money like a Wiessmann MF3 or something like that.
Talking my language!

Honda Roadster GIF by ImportWorx

Beautiful ride, man. They are just outrageously fantastic cars. When I was working in the Porsche/Audi field a lot of guys would show up for track days in M3’s. And year after year a well driven M3 could give the Porsche guys a bit of a spanking and it absolutely drove the 911 guys bananas. Some of those megalomaniacs might actually still be in therapy. 😂
From many standpoints it’s really tough to beat virtually any German car. Even VW. I could never afford a 911, but even my MK6 GTI could turn 1.00’s at Lime Rock.

PS, I’ve never seen that kind of plate in Texas. What kind was it?
Yeah, the M3 is probably the best sports sedan, full stop. One of my dream cars but those were (and still are) out of my league. VW made some great cars. The Golf R32 designed by Ferdinand Piëch has one of the best sounding V6 engines at any price.

As for the license plate, I gotta be honest...I got nothing. I cannot recall.

The S2000 got the best one though. Honda fettled with it and bumped it up to 240bhp with a 9000rpm redline and, best of all, it has RWD.
Those are just magnificent cars. It’s funny how many people complained about them and their “lack of power” because they never got them above 6K RPM and the engine wasn’t even awake yet. People aren’t used to screaming along at 9k unless they’re on two wheels. I never had the opportunity to drive one, but I heard a few at the track and the wail those things made at full boil would make the hairs on the back of your neck stand up. So freaking cool! Almost sounded like an older F1 car.

A former coworker of mine is a certified Honda fanatic.. I haven't spoken to him in a couple years after he moved south to TN. But he was always talking about the mighty S2000, if I had a guess, he will surely have one soon if not already. He had some pretty sweet Ludes, Civic SI.. Had a 'Lude built for I think well over 200 HP (NA), it ingested a screw or bolt somehow through the intake tract shortly after it was built. A real heartbreaker indeed. He was a very meticulous fellow, so I can't imagine what actually happened that caused it. When I say he was all Honda, I mean everything Honda, bikes, cars, lawnmowers, you name it, LOL.

Those are just magnificent cars. It’s funny how many people complained about them and their “lack of power” because they never got them above 6K RPM and the engine wasn’t even awake yet. People aren’t used to screaming along at 9k unless they’re on two wheels. I never had the opportunity to drive one, but I heard a few at the track and the wail those things made at full boil would make the hairs on the back of your neck stand up. So freaking cool! Almost sounded like an older F1 car.
That V6 is an absolute peach innit?

Yeah, routinely revving past 6000 like it's nothing takes a minute to get used to but once you do...holy balls. I literally went for joy rides at least 4-5 times every week for like the first 2 years that I owned it, they're that much fun to drive. And the RWD on the S2000 is just the icing on the cake.

Back