What a horrible start to a holiday weekend.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xjeepguy

Super-Secret Yarmaluthe
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Infraction
  2. Notorious
So I was awoken at 3:30 am this morning, to my landlord telling me that the parking lot flooded. This is no bueno. I went outside and found there was ankle deep water in the floorboards, and the flooding had receded an hour ago. So I've contacted insurance, and the fate of the Forester is in their hands. I don't want it to be totalled because it was my wife's car, which she loved dearly. FML.

20240524_084010.jpg

So I was awoken at 3:30 am this morning, to my landlord telling me that the parking lot flooded. This is no bueno. I went outside and found there was ankle deep water in the floorboards, and the flooding had receded an hour ago. So I've contacted insurance, and the fate of the Forester is in their hands. I don't want it to be totalled because it was my wife's car, which she loved dearly. FML.

View attachment 368339

Man, That sucks!!

I'm sorry to hear it was your Beloved wife's vehicle... 😞

How did a parking lot flood.. to have water pool up all the way into a car?
Was the place underground or something??

Last edited:

View attachment 368339
Oh No! 😢

That is sad news, are they more willing to work with you given there is some sentimental value? I really hope it works out for you.

Do you guys get flooded often? That seems like a crazy incident!

Thanks guys,
I live in WV, aka the mountain state. Where my apartment is located, there's a large mountain in front of the building, and a subdivision behind it, with a mountain behind that. We get a lot of flooding all over the area just due to the topography. I typically keep tabs on the weather, and if it's gonna be a bad storm, I'll park up on the hill, even though we're not supposed to. This storm came out of nowhere. None of us knew it was coming. 3 vehicles got flooded.

If you can get your hands on some blower fans.. and set them to blow onto the interior.
That should help in drying/airing it out.

These stores should have them in stock-

Home Depot
Harbor Freight
Northern Tools
Walmart
Screenshot_20240524-115418.png

Last edited:
If you can get your hands on some blower fans.. and set them to blow onto the interior.
That should help in drying/airing it out.

This man.
I used to regularly flood the interiors of my offroad vehicles and I'd leave all the doors open with blowers. Or goto the car wash.. I'd actually spray the carpet and stuff to get the dirty water rinsed out and use thier vacuum to get most of it back out. Then blowers.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Thats probably the best you can do ...... unless it goofs up an insurance claim...... if they have pictures of the water inside the rig, then its probably ok to proceed....

That stinks.....from a bro in the North Carolina mountains

Pouring some dry rice all over the carpet can help, too.

Or
Get a 10lb bag of baking soda $7-9.00

Sprinkle it onto the floor mats and carpet , it should help with any smells that may be developing..

>>> Remember to take photos of carpets & interior BEFORE sprinkling baking soda ,for insurance purposes.

If insurance wants to write it off, you don't have to go ahead with it. At least this wasn't salt water and I'm sure it can be dried out with little on nil corrosion concerns. Seeing as it was ankle deep, the CPU may need replacing(usually under driver or passenger seat)and might be the more expensive part of salvaging the Forrester. Best of luck

Or
Get a 10lb bag of baking soda $7-9.00

Sprinkle it onto the floor mats and carpet , it should help with any smells that may be developing..

>>> Remember to take photos of carpets & interior BEFORE sprinkling baking soda ,for insurance purposes.
Better option is Concrobium, a natural mold preventative measure usually sold as Concrobium or Mold Control. Spray it, leave it, and the bonus is its smells nice. No vacuuming powder up.

If insurance wants to write it off, you don't have to go ahead with it. At least this wasn't salt water and I'm sure it can be dried out with little on nil corrosion concerns.

Seeing as it was ankle deep, the CPU may need replacing(usually under driver or passenger seat)and might be the more expensive part of salvaging the Forrester. Best of luck

Not necessarily..
It may be an Older model with its ECM in the engine bay or tucked under the dash..

Better option is Concrobium, a natural mold preventative measure usually sold as Concrobium or Mold Control. Spray it, leave it, and the bonus is its smells nice. No vacuuming powder up.

Okay.
Good to know.
Thank you.

View attachment 368339
I'm sorry 😞 . I'd probably do what's been suggested so far, then silicone spray all rubber pieces like bushings under the car, along with fuel and brake lines, then WD-40 the crap out of the undercarriage and inside the door jambs. There are red straw extensions online up to 50 inches in length to spray deep into the jambs. Get a shop-vac with the angle piece and get as much water out as possible, then some carpet shampoo mixed in a bucket, grab a fabric brush from those car detailing aisles in the stores, then vacumn it out again, spray distilled water mixed with liquid air freshner from those same aisles, then vacumn it out once more and dry. I use to detail cars back in the day. You can take door jamb seals off and work those super long spray extensions and spray WD-40 all in through there. Again, I'm sorry about the car. Subarus are neat vehicles. Can't beat AWD.

Last edited:
Back