What do I need to know about life in the USA?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Bean

Very Active Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Notorious
I live in Portland, OR now. Tomorrow will be my first day of high school. Yay!

I want to ride my bike like I did in the Netherlands, but you cant be safe when you do that here. The only thing seperating you from Dodge owners are 2 lines 1 foot apart. I have seen people ride their bikes on the sidewalk, but is that allowed?

Also, I need money to fund a certain hobby of mine, but I'm not allowed to work here (visa stuff). How do I earn some money with work?
My neighborhood is filled with old people who'se only pastime is yardwork, so I don't think yardwork is much of an option.

What is the average allowance in the US/ in Oregon? When I looked it op it was $1 - $2 per year of age per week (1-2 × 16 = $8 - $16 a week). That would mean I'd get appx. 2× my current allowance. Isn't this number absurd? What do you guys gove/get, if I may ask?

And what do people do here outside of school? I didn't have a social life back in the Netherlands and I want to change that here.

I want to ride my bike like I did in the Netherlands, but you cant be safe when you do that here. The only thing seperating you from Dodge owners are 2 lines 1 foot apart. I have seen people ride their bikes on the sidewalk, but is that allowed?

Also, I need money to fund a certain hobby of mine, but I'm not allowed to work here (visa stuff). How do I earn some money with work?
My neighborhood is filled with old people who'se only pastime is yardwork, so I don't think yardwork is much of an option.

What is the average allowance in the US/ in Oregon? When I looked it op it was $1 - $2 per year of age per week (1-2 × 16 = $8 - $16 a week). That would mean I'd get appx. 2× my current allowance. Isn't this number absurd? What do you guys gove/get, if I may ask?

And what do people do here outside of school? I didn't have a social life back in the Netherlands and I want to change that here.
What high school will you be going to? I go to Battle ground high school
What high school will you be going to? I go to Battle ground high school
i probably live pretty close to you. maybe 30-45 min drive or something.

I got like 11.64 an hour working this summer and im 14.

Just stay humble & don't be a hero walk away unless its a child involved & at the same time don't be no sissy stand your ground stay aware of your surroundings don't be flashy with your electronics someone will steal that stuff America is deff a dog eat dog place & as far as money goes try to find a local mom and pop shop see if theyll put you on under the table for a couple bucks less then minimum wage & still collect that government money

Yes you can ride your bike on the road or sidewalk in the direction of traffic closest to you also you can get a ticket if you do not walk your bike across a crosswalk because riding a bike across a crosswalk is illegal
I would recommend carrying a pocket knife especially in a place like portland but just don’t bring it to school or let them see it;)

Maybe pick up one of these. The sound of the blade snapping out will scare a lot of people, so it's handy if you need to get out of a bad situation. But it's also inviting someone to fight. If you decide to get one, don't show it off, but keep it handy if needed.
http://www.knives4wholesale.com/DELTA_FORCE_OTF_KNIVES-Delta_Force_D2_Tanto_OTF_Knife.html

Edit:
Exactly what @travykat said too.
Just stay humble & don't be a hero, walk away unless its a child involved. At the same time, don't be no sissy stand your ground, stay aware of your surroundings. Don't be flashy with your electronics, someone will steal that stuff. America is deff a dog eat dog place.
As far as money goes, try to find a local mom and pop shop. See if they'll put you on under the table for a couple bucks less then minimum wage & still collect that government money.
@The Bean, you could also shovel snow in the winter for all those old folks. I'm guessing they won't be wanting to do that themselves.

Last edited:
Maybe pick up one of these. The sound of the blade snapping out will scare a lot of people, so it's handy if you need to get out of a bad situation. But it's also inviting someone to fight. If you decide to get one, don't show it off, but keep it handy if needed.
http://www.knives4wholesale.com/DELTA_FORCE_OTF_KNIVES-Delta_Force_D2_Tanto_OTF_Knife.html

Edit:
Exactly what @travykat said too.

@The Bean, you could also shovel snow in the winter for all those old folks. I'm guessing they won't be wanting to do that themselves.
Lol those are illegal here in Massachusetts you need a LTC to get one & you can only carry a pocket knife with a blade no longer then 5in & assist blades are illegal you have to have the ones that you manually open

Lol those are illegal here in Massachusetts you need a LTC to get one & you can only carry a pocket knife with a blade no longer then 5in & assist blades are illegal you have to have the ones that you manually open
I know.:ROFLMAO: The blade is only 3.3 inches. Yeah, I guess you could get a knife that you have to manualy open. I don't think tension bars are illegal in Oregon. But all knives are illegal in school. You could always take apart a pair of scissors.:ROFLMAO:

Maybe I should stop. It's not that big of a problem.

Just stay humble & don't be a hero walk away
I am a strong supporter of something us Dutch say a lot: Doe normaal (act normal, don't be obnoxious). I prefer to stay low profile. I'm already well known for 2 things at my old school, and I didn't even do anything (my name and I got thrown into a lake)

No, I won't get a knife. I already have 2, and I only use them at home and stuff. I see them as tools, not as weapons, and prefer to keep them that way. I do not like (real life) violence. I prefer to stay away from the impoverished places in cities, and I am usually not alone. I live in a great neighborhood, so I don't think I'd need anything for self-defence.

I am a strong supporter of something us Dutch say a lot: Doe normaal (act normal, don't be obnoxious). I prefer to stay low profile. I'm already well known for 2 things at my old school, and I didn't even do anything (my name and I got thrown into a lake)

No, I won't get a knife. I already have 2, and I only use them at home and stuff. I see them as tools, not as weapons, and prefer to keep them that way. I do not like (real life) violence. I prefer to stay away from the impoverished places in cities, and I am usually not alone. I live in a great neighborhood, so I don't think I'd need anything for self-defence.
I still carry knives on me at all times (legally or not). I know people in my area who carry guns (legally and for self defense), my town has a extremely low crime rate but many people still wear some weapon or other.

I know you are living in a neighborhood filled with old people, BUT they can be your best clients! Don’t be afraid of knocking on a door and asking if there is anything they need help with. Most kids are stuck in their phones and just the sight of a kid that will TALK and look them in the eye can get you a job easily. Be willing to wash windows, clean out the gutters, pull WEEDS out of flower beds!!… Older people may have time for yard work, but there are some things that are hard for them to do…. Plus, their grandchildren don’t give them the “one on one” and most are lonely.

I use to have a few houses that I had weekly work for and they would stop me and just wanted someone to talk with…heck I didn’t mind, I was getting paid by the hour!! If you can learn how to talk to someone and figure out how YOU can best help them…. You will be on your way to starting your own business. If you really want to get ahead in life, it is the best thing you can do. Figure out what I client wants, provide a service or product at a reasonable price and the world will be your oyster.

You left the home of stroopwaffels? Big error.
Yeah, I know. But the chocolate chip cookies aren't much worse, you know?
I know you are living in a neighborhood filled with old people, BUT they can be your best clients! Don’t be afraid of knocking on a door and asking if there is anything they need help with. Most kids are stuck in their phones and just the sight of a kid that will TALK and look them in the eye can get you a job easily. Be willing to wash windows, clean out the gutters, pull WEEDS out of flower beds!!… Older people may have time for yard work, but there are some things that are hard for them to do…. Plus, their grandchildren don’t give them the “one on one” and most are lonely.

I use to have a few houses that I had weekly work for and they would stop me and just wanted someone to talk with…heck I didn’t mind, I was getting paid by the hour!! If you can learn how to talk to someone and figure out how YOU can best help them…. You will be on your way to starting your own business. If you really want to get ahead in life, it is the best thing you can do. Figure out what I client wants, provide a service or product at a reasonable price and the world will be your oyster.
Good to know. Like somebody said, scoop snow. Old people don't handle yhe cold very well, so I guess I'll do winter chores.

Hit the HS gym, chicks dig dudes with 💪 Don't get involved with idiots that do drugs.

Fellow high schooler here, my advice for you, get involved, play a sport, join a club, meet new people. If you want to make some money raking leaves, shoveling driveways, and mowing lawns are a great way to make some easy cash, especially if your neighbors are old. Hope you enjoy this very divided country!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back