Typhon What do you recommend?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eickot

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Typhon 3s
Hello,

I'm looking to buy a typhon mega, as my first rc car. Is it a good idea?

Is some upgrades that you can recommend? Or the car itself is enough good for start?

Is som replace part that I should have in my house because breaks easily?

Thanks,!

But is too much money, my limit was 200€ and I'm exceeding it, is any difference more than the brushless?

You will end up wanting to upgrade the Mega, so save yourself some money and aggravating and get the blx.

What do you mean? That the mega is booting?
obviously its a brushed version, so you tend to upgrade it as soon as things fail or not perform as you may want - the mega platforms to me looked like a "cheap" compromise but the BLX which isnt that different in price seems like the upgraded version. To be fair I bought the upgraded/face-lifted version of my car though the original version known to have issues was ~£3000 cheaper ... why would I apply a different logic to RCs?

The brushed motors wear out quickly. If you have a $200 budget, you should be looking at the Voltage 2WD line or maybe a WL Toys level rig. You are going to need a bigger budget than $200 to be happy with an 1/8 scale.

Hello,

I'm looking to buy a typhon mega, as my first rc car. Is it a good idea?

Is some upgrades that you can recommend? Or the car itself is enough good for start?

Is som replace part that I should have in my house because breaks easily?

Thanks,!

The Mega Typhon is a good start but not at it's price vs what you get if you just bought a BLX instead. You more than likely get bored with it's speed and want more. There are more parts different between the brushed and brushless model than just the motor and esc. The parts in the Megas are fit for brushed power. When you outgrow the speed of the Mega and want to do more you will want the parts from the brushless model so you end up spending more than if you just have bought the brushless model.

You might be happy with the brushed speed just telling you what will happen sooner or later that you will want more. Then when you do want more you will end up spending more vs saving up and buying a brushless model instead.

If you want a Arrma 4x4 buy a BLX model. Get something from a different brand and want a 4x4 if don't want to pay more for a BLX brushless Arma model.

The brushed motors wear out quickly. If you have a $200 budget, you should be looking at the Voltage 2WD line or maybe a WL Toys level rig. You are going to need a bigger budget than $200 to be happy with an 1/8 scale.
I would never recommend a brushed motor in anything except a Crawler which is actually beneficial over BL most of the time. And with all due respect a brushed motor can be had for $15.-20. when it craps out. Its the speed and battery run time that excels with BL and BL ESC's. Buying a RTR can be daunting if your budget is slim. Maybe Brushed will work for a newcomer?:unsure:

I agree with the other posters that You should just save your money till you can get into the Brushless / Blx models. Saving up some extra funds now will save you a bunch of funds later... Plus you will be happier I bet!

OK, which battery did you recommend if I buy the blx?

And with the blx, for start will be OK? Something I should know?

Some replacement part that better I buy it with the car?

Thanks

For a 3S rig, get a 3S lipo that is around 5000mah with a 50C rating or higher. Hard Case pack preferably. Depending on your budget you can spend $30-$60+. Shop around for the specs I stated. Look at name brands first. Like Venom, gensacearespammers, Ovonic. There are many brands out there. Read up on lipos if you are not sure of what the specs mean. I am sure others can chime in here.

Uau, that's a huge battery. How many running time is the 5Ah?

Thanks for all the replies.

My budget is 200€ because my father told me that I will bore the cars, he had a car but prefered a lot the planes. I had a RC-Car toy that I enjoyed a lot doing drifting (it was a buggy, not a drift car) and this is why I wish to try, but don't waste too much. As everybody is telling that the mega motor is not enough. I belive it. Maybe I will buy wltoys 144001. Or... can I ask if you can recommend some other brand?

Thanks a lot!

Buying second hand from someone you don't know "eBay" is really risky. You have a real limited budget to begin with and if it turns out "Not as Advertised" Your screwed... Don't be that guy. Have you considered buying a new Arrma BLx on the easy pay system. a couple of RC Vendors allows you to make payments over time (Each month) instead of coming up with all the money at once. But if your in a hurry and can't wait, the wltoys might be for you.

Thanks, the problem is not my bank account, I'm not sure if I will like it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back