What does everything think of the new Boost accessory pack to turn the mega into a 4x4.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adamj804

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
  3. Kraton 6s
  4. Kraton 4s
  5. Outcast 4s
  6. Senton 6s
  7. Senton 3s
  8. Typhon 6s
  9. Typhon 3s
This looks good for people that started with the mega and want to make it better.

Boss: “What are most of our customers asking for?”

Marketing Insight Intern: “From our extensive research, people want to convert their brushed mega vehicles into brushless. We should release a kit that allows them to do that.”

Boss: “Sorry, I can’t hear you at the other end of the conference table. Let’s play a team building game of telephone to pass your information up to me.”

…..

Boss: “Excellent! I concur. Let’s remove half the drivetrain from our cheapest vehicles and then sell an upgrade kit to our least mechanically inclined users. We’ll be rich!”

I mean, I can see where they are coming from. Realistically, the Megas are only there as a first rig, not many people are going to get a Mega if they are already into the hobby. Lowering the barrier of entry for people who may be apprehensive about the upfront cost really does expand the market. People who are getting a kid their first RC and are worried about it being played with for 5 minutes before being set aside, people who don't have much disposable income, people who don't want to have to get an all new truck to upgrade later (yes, we all know you can upgrade without just buying a new vehicle, but new hobbyists don't necessarily know that), etc. Creating the Boost line gives them all an attainable, or more desirable, route in that previously was more of a Traxxas only marketing ploy.

I had to double check my calendar to make sure it wasn't April 1st - but at least they aren't completely nutty with the pricing. You can tell they tried to meet a price point on this one. $199.99 without a battery and charger, $239.99 with a battery and charger and $39.99 for the upgrade kit. A Granite 4x4 retails for $269.99.

Seems to be a lot of work and extra SKUs/inventory to keep track of for a very niche market segment (ultra economy).

Oh, and fwiw there are boost kits for not only 4wd, but also 3S brushless, but I haven't been able to find a product page for it yet.

At least the new Vortkes bodies are pretty cool looking.

So I have been one of the people asking Arrma for a good 2wd truck... But this is not it.

I have pulled the front drive of my granite, and while it was kind of fun, it made a not great, heavy 2wd.

Common Arrma, make an upgrade kit for the Voltage! Make it a decent 2wd truck!

Traxxas has had the slash 2wd and bandit 2wd in there lineup for years,must be a market for 2wdz
Big props to arrma for coming out with new options so often.....

Sometime 2WD is just where its at. :)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back