What's your "budget" LiPo of choice?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sundapow are supposed to be pretty good batteries. I haven't used them though.
I went with the Hobbyking 5500mAh Turnigy Rapids 140C batteries. They are working well with the 1100kv motor and XLX2 on my Outcast 8s. Yeah you need very good batteries for that crazy system. I'm still running those $100 for two 4s youandme batteries for the max 5 and 1100kv on my xmaxx trucks. They work very well for that set up.

Found 5200mah 3s 50c lipos for $20 each. GoldBat Bought 6, gave two to my buddy that bought a new typhon blx 4x4 and I kept 4. Only problem is both esc on our trucks I think is bad because we only get a few mins of run time per battery. But when it's working, it rips.

HOOVO 4S 60c has Worked great for me.

D96917A5-A645-4240-8636-8AF02A017AB8.jpeg

Connectors are important too.

EC5/IC connectors handle 120amp
XT90 90amp
XT150 150amp
EC8 200amp

Avoid Deans and XT60 above 3s always.

Charge:

No matter what lipos you have.
Never go more than 3A when you charge your lipos.
Charge them slow is important for the self life.

Example
two identical lipos and same charger

1 you charge at 6-10 amps will last only 100runs
2 the one you charge slow will last you 150runs

Only go above 3A if you racing and get sponsored with free lipos.
Then you want and need go 20-30A Rates.
This is competition secret.
And you will do it by own risk,
This can make you drive one lap 1 second faster,
it will be dangerous, and batteries will last maximun 50 runs this way
!! This is nothing Bashers ever need to do.!!

Please charge at low amps. Stay safe, get more time out of your lipos and money spending, and alot more runs.
Buy couple more lipos , and maybe one more charger,
Newer need hurry after you got extra gear.

Stay safe and serious

My personal favorite budget lipos are Banggood Zop Power 50c + ones

I am trying out couple more brands right now also.

SMC V2 is the best money can buy right now

Connectors are important too.

EC5/IC connectors handle 120amp
XT90 90amp
XT150 150amp
EC8 200amp

Avoid Deans and XT60 above 3s always.

Charge:

No matter what lipos you have.
Never go more than 3A when you charge your lipos.
Charge them slow is important for the self life.

Example
two identical lipos and same charger

1 you charge at 6-10 amps will last only 100runs
2 the one you charge slow will last you 150runs

Only go above 3A if you racing and get sponsored with free lipos.
Then you want and need go 20-30A Rates.
This is competition secret.
And you will do it by own risk,
This can make you drive one lap 1 second faster,
it will be dangerous, and batteries will last maximun 50 runs this way
!! This is nothing Bashers ever need to do.!!

Please charge at low amps. Stay safe, get more time out of your lipos and money spending, and alot more runs.
Buy couple more lipos , and maybe one more charger,
Newer need hurry after you got extra gear.

Stay safe and serious

My personal favorite budget lipos are Banggood Zop Power 50c + ones

I am trying out couple more brands right now also.

SMC V2 is the best money can buy right now
Has anyone tried these goldbat? https://www.amazon.com/GOLDBAT-6200...ywords=goldbat+5200+3s&qid=1609727754&sr=8-11
https://www.amazon.com/GOLDBAT-Conn...eywords=goldbat+5200+3s&qid=1609727730&sr=8-1
I bought six (6 batteries) of 5.2kmah off ebay for $20 each. They ran great at the track and have great punch. Only problem is with temps being below freezing outside.... Only lipos I've ever used are spektrum 3s 2200mah with my carbon cub and my friends aero scout. I also bought HPB not HRB but HPB off ebay or amazon (two 2200mah 3s for $27 total shipped 2018) I then let the plane and batteries sit for a year because I was afraid to fly it. Then I got my friend, who was bugging me why I haven't flown it, to buy a plane when he got a job and he got the aerpscout. I then purchased two protek 4500mah 236 gram weight 3s 120c hi-lv silicone graphene batteries and I was ripping full throttle for as long as I wanted. That's deans connecters and a 30a esc. We have nitro rc's too so my friend was complaining about running them in the winter so he watend to get a lipo rc car for the winter. lol Well from experience lipo batteries do not want to last in the cold, in out 3s blx cars. He said we can't fly in the cold because it's too cold out. Now I'm out here below freezing running rc lol. Last electric rc I saw run was a radio shack black wolf.... So I figured why not enjoy and bought a new typhon 3s. Went with him to the hobby shop and after doing "alot of research" he bought one. I said would wait and see if he had any issue's because we all know how this goes. Well before we got home I found a "new" one on ebay and bought it. Found out later that lipos don't work in the cold. Also plastic pillow balls and bad bearings and his servo blew up and his motor bearing blew up new out of the box. But now that I have it I am hooked on how well it rips. So I bought us six of those goldbat 5200mah 3s batteries off ebay from a florida seller. The batteries seem to work perfect expect for the short run time which I have attributed to using 60a deans on a 100a blx. I'm using an adapter ec5 to deans. He melted his deans. He got his soldered onto ec5 at the hobby shop. I ordered anti spark AS150 connectors (six pairs for $20) off amazon they should be here in a week. Ordered a new digital 90w pencil soldering iron off amazon $20. Was waiting on him to see which connectors to get but he pussied out and got the lhs to solder on some garbage ec5 $10 a battery pack. We both ran ours in the outdoors and everything black rusted.... I bought the traxxas blue aluminum turnbuckle set $20 and replaced the links. I replaced the front camber links with traxxas stainless turnbuckles. Now I just need to replace all the screws with SS. But before I do that I'm thinking about replacing the motor bearings since his blew up after three runs. Looking at ceramic orange sealed bearings. And for the rest of the truck I was thinking bocca bearing yellow shield ceramic bearings for the hubs etc. Has anyone used GOLDBAT 3s 5200mah batteries? How was your experience. He melted a deans on the silicone graphene 120c protek 236gram weight pack, but that was also using an adpater on top of that deans to ec5. Now he has all ec5. Only ran one pack a little and it seemed way more powerful. I can't wait to solder all of mine with as150. Has anyone used goldbat? What experiences do you get because it seems to rip and at $20 that's a lot less than any other prices.

I've been using Voltz batteries in my Typhon mega, and mt10. I've got Overlanders for my sons Typhon 3S. All seem good so far and the run times are good.

Wow, positivity, you're great. Thank you! Perhaps I should go buy a boat motor. LMFAO! Enjoy, have a nice day.

In my defense I was legitimately trying to help but I couldn't read that solid wall of text at 1:45 AM. Help me help you. If you could please make it more readable next time I think you would get more help. Maybe it's my 50 year old eyes, but I wasn't able to read that and get anything out of it.

I have not tried GoldBat. Deans connectors are not able to handle as much current as an XT90 or EC5. With HH going with IC5/EC5 it makes the most sense to go with EC5 to me. I have some XT90s to change but with HH behind the EC5 connector and that connector rated 120amps it makes sense. Good connector. I like the XT90s a lot but they don't handle as much current and it would be REALLY nice not to have to cut the connectors off of everything I buy and solder my own.

In my defense I was legitimately trying to help but I couldn't read that solid wall of text at 1:45 AM. Help me help you. If you could please make it more readable next time I think you would get more help. Maybe it's my 50 year old eyes, but I wasn't able to read that and get anything out of it.

I have not tried GoldBat. Deans connectors are not able to handle as much current as an XT90 or EC5. With HH going with IC5/EC5 it makes the most sense to go with EC5 to me. I have some XT90s to change but with HH behind the EC5 connector and that connector rated 120amps it makes sense. Good connector. I like the XT90s a lot but they don't handle as much current and it would be REALLY nice not to have to cut the connectors off of everything I buy and solder my own.
1:45am not a good time to be reading that wall of text lol Definitely a ramble but oh well, sorry. I ran it today and got about 14 mins off the goldbat 3s 5200mah 50c, running it on that craptastic adapter with deans on one side. Can't wait for the AS150 to show up: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QD5H156/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 They have anti spark technology and not only does it help not freak you out when you plug them in but since it doesn't spark well then your connector lasts and the performance isn't hindered by burnt carbon scorch marks from the sparking when plugging in. So much to learn, and that's just a wire connector. Spread the word. BTW too afraid to try the 120C silicone graphene until I change connectors after I saw my buddy melt his deans.

Last edited:
1:45am not a good time to be reading that wall of text lol Definitely a ramble but oh well, sorry. I ran it today and got about 14 mins off the goldbat 3s 5200mah 50c, running it on that craptastic adapter with deans on one side. Can't wait for the AS150 to show up: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QD5H156/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 They have anti spark technology and not only does it help not freak you out when you plug them in but since it doesn't spark well then your connector lasts and the performance isn't hindered by burnt carbon scorch marks from the sparking when plugging in. So much to learn, and that's just a wire connector. Spread the word. BTW too afraid to try the 120C silicone graphene until I change connectors after I saw my buddy melt his deans.

Good call. I run all XT90 anti-spark and they work very well. Planning to move to EC5.

EC5 or IC5 doesn't have anti spark technology, that's why I'm going with AS150. My silver solder showed up today. :)

Selling all my goldbat 5200 50c that I got from florida. I'm soldering on female ec5's after I take off the deans. $20 a battery was nice but the internal resistance was high. My friend will take the four I bought for what I paid for them so I'm really happy. They work great on a track though. The new goldbat 80c champion had 1ohm ir on the charger. My rear diff blew up today so didn't really get to test it out. I'm going to get another one but a softcase this time.

GOLDBAT 3S Lipo RC Battery 5200mAh 11.1V 80C LiPo​

https://www.amazon.com/GOLDBAT-Batt...rds=goldbat+champion+3s&qid=1610232945&sr=8-2

not to be a downer or seem to be a hobby shop snob but..instead of getting an adaptor from one plug to another learn how to solder. it will save you time and money in the long run.(if you are running multiple cars make them all the same)

i have found some 2s kinexsis 35c 4100mah batteries for 30 usd just had to change the plugs to deans. plus when you have to witch esc plugs or get new one it is a good skill to learn.

just my 2 cents
Every person that enjoys RC as a hobby should invest in learning to solder and a decent solder station. It's a useful skill in general anyways, and let's you get more creative when customizing build projects. That's my take at least 😄

So far I have tried ovonics, goldbat, and hrb in the cheap lipo category. So far so good, they have decent run time and power for the price. On sale the ovonics and goldbat 2s can be as low as 15$ for 5200 50&80c packs

Selling all my goldbat 5200 50c that I got from florida. I'm soldering on female ec5's after I take off the deans. $20 a battery was nice but the internal resistance was high. My friend will take the four I bought for what I paid for them so I'm really happy. They work great on a track though. The new goldbat 80c champion had 1ohm ir on the charger. My rear diff blew up today so didn't really get to test it out. I'm going to get another one but a softcase this time.

GOLDBAT 3S Lipo RC Battery 5200mAh 11.1V 80C LiPo​

https://www.amazon.com/GOLDBAT-Batt...rds=goldbat+champion+3s&qid=1610232945&sr=8-2
I should have this battery on Tuesday and testing it out. Curious, is it bad that Im going to be using a deans to ec5 adapter instead of soldering?

I should have this battery on Tuesday and testing it out. Curious, is it bad that Im going to be using a deans to ec5 adapter instead of soldering?
It is always best to have the least amount of connections possible. It isn't really bad per se, especially on a 3s but in higher power systems the adapters can cause issues.

I think I am going to take a plunge on these for my ET48.3 https://www.ebay.com/itm/2X-80C-520...ug-Hard-case-For-Car-Truck-Buggy/193592241533 for some reason the 4s is only 5000mah "50c" but costs $41 🤷‍♂️

Here's my ec5 to deans adapter story. I purchased one from a lhs power hobby and it had a cold solder. Took it to shadow lhs and they soldered it for me but it failed again. I ordered a few more online and those worked fine. Deans is rated at 60amps and our esc is rated at 100amps. I decided to buy AS150 connectors so about to solder those on now and I'll let you know. But the adapter should be fine for you. I just got the first champion 80c 3s goldbat and the resistance was 1ohm1ohm4ohm. Very happy with that. The non champions that I got from florida ebay for $20 ea. are showing like 30ohms. Then I saw the soft pack so I ordered one and it came and the cells also had very low ir. Just ordered another softpack. If I didn't check on the charger I wouldn't know the previous 50c regular packs had such high ir, they rip. So excited to run these new 80c models. Waiting on diff input gear and gluing up a mountain of tires.
It is always best to have the least amount of connections possible. It isn't really bad per se, especially on a 3s but in higher power systems the adapters can cause issues.

I think I am going to take a plunge on these for my ET48.3 https://www.ebay.com/itm/2X-80C-520...ug-Hard-case-For-Car-Truck-Buggy/193592241533 for some reason the 4s is only 5000mah "50c" but costs $41 🤷‍♂️
My 50c 3s 5200's have high resistance. Not sure if it was just from my ebay seller. They still rip and have a lot of punch but I got antsy and sold all four packs to my buddy. They were $20 ea. so I'm lucky I got rid of them all at once and started buying the 80c champions which show really low ir readings of 1ohm per cell. Take a look at the 100c 2s versions: https://www.amazon.com/GOLDBAT-5200...rds=goldbat+champion+2s&qid=1610511678&sr=8-2
1610643170077.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back