What's your "budget" LiPo of choice?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't know if its been mentioned but the HRB lipos are excellent in the Outcase. 5000mah for 65 bucks a piece on EBAY.

Used my turnigy 6s basher for the first real run yesturday....
Dropped a cell and it puffed on me :-/
Upside... Sent some photos of it plugged into my battery tester last night and hobbyking have emailed me today to say they are sending me out a new one under warranty ! Cant complain about that :)

Every turnigy battery I have bought puffed usually in the first few runs. They still work for awhile but I'm done with that

This one split the case... I have 3 other 2s that are good and 1 that swelled a bit after a rather hot run

How do you like these batteries? I just ordered a pair for my Kraton as well, thanks.
I believe they're working fine. Will post a picture of them as soon as I get home in a bit. I use Shoe Goo and electrical tape to reinforce the wires on the end. I use little foam blocks . Balancing wires I'm talking about.

I believe they're working fine. Will post a picture of them as soon as I get home in a bit. I use Shoe Goo and electrical tape to reinforce the wires on the end. I use little foam blocks . Balancing wires I'm talking about.

Nice, do u have them side by side or do u stack them one on top of the other?

Nice, do u have them side by side or do u stack them one on top of the other?
IMG_20170414_191759930.jpg
IMG_20170414_191641694.jpg
side by side,one battery in pic.

Side by side fills battery box perfect,have also reinforce battery box on one end with extra lexan ,super glue an shoe goo.

Side by side fills battery box perfect,have also reinforce battery box on one end with extra lexan ,super glue an shoe goo.
IMG_20170414_192528477.jpg
IMG_20170414_192528477.jpg

Anyone know if the RCjuice C rating is constant or burst? I would imagine constant?

When I got into this hobby about a year ago, I quickly found out that cost can be a barrier to entry if you make bad purchases and bad decisions. When I decided to make the switch to LiPo batteries, I did a ton of research on "budget" LiPo batteries on various online forums. I was looking for a battery that was reliable, good quality, and one that would not break the bank. With that being said, I decided on 2 suppliers: SPC Racing Batteries and SMC Racing Batteries. I run a 5000mAh, 50C, 2S SPC Racing LiPo ($33) in my Fury BLX and could not be happier with the performance. I also run a pair of 2500mAh, 50C, 2S SPC Racing LiPos ($20 each) in my mini E-Revo and a 5000mAh, 50C, 3S SMC Racing LiPo ($40) in my Axial Yeti.

So, what's your battery of choice? Hopefully this thread can help out someone who is just getting into the hobby or someone who is looking for a different pack to try.

So I'm having trouble knowing which hardcase 2s lipo's will fit in my Kraton. I believe I can only have a batter with a max height of 23mm. I wanted to get these gensacearespammers 2s 5000 mah but they are 25mm.. Can I buy these? if not do you have another suggestion? https://www.amazon.com/Gens-ace-Bat...F8&qid=1492293529&sr=8-3&keywords=2s+50c+lipo

When I got into this hobby about a year ago, I quickly found out that cost can be a barrier to entry if you make bad purchases and bad decisions. When I decided to make the switch to LiPo batteries, I did a ton of research on "budget" LiPo batteries on various online forums. I was looking for a battery that was reliable, good quality, and one that would not break the bank. With that being said, I decided on 2 suppliers: SPC Racing Batteries and SMC Racing Batteries. I run a 5000mAh, 50C, 2S SPC Racing LiPo ($33) in my Fury BLX and could not be happier with the performance. I also run a pair of 2500mAh, 50C, 2S SPC Racing LiPos ($20 each) in my mini E-Revo and a 5000mAh, 50C, 3S SMC Racing LiPo ($40) in my Axial Yeti.

So, what's your battery of choice? Hopefully this thread can help out someone who is just getting into the hobby or someone who is looking for a different pack to try.

Can I buy a bigger battery tray for my kraton to accomodate bigger batteries?

So I'm having trouble knowing which hardcase 2s lipo's will fit in my Kraton. I believe I can only have a batter with a max height of 23mm. I wanted to get these gensacearespammers 2s 5000 mah but they are 25mm.. Can I buy these? if not do you have another suggestion? https://www.amazon.com/Gens-ace-Bat...F8&qid=1492293529&sr=8-3&keywords=2s+50c+lipo

Can I buy a bigger battery tray for my kraton to accomodate bigger batteries?
My 3s are 26 mm thick,side by side . Perfect width in tray.

Had the shrink wrap tear off one of my lipos the other day and the case popped open a bit... Cells all meassure ok but when i checked the case a small amount of fluid came out ?? I know that cant be good but does anyone know what it is ?? No smell and felt like water... But my cars haven't been in water.

Edit. Just pulled the hardcase off... Nothing in there and no swelling at all so i have no idea ?

Last edited:
RC Juice 45C fit well side-by-side. I always add another layer of shrink wrap on soft case batteries, and that made them fit very tight though. They're actually kind of short end-to-end. I was also running the Floureon 3s 35C 5500mah batteries side-by-side, they're 1mm thinner each, but longer. Both sets work fine, but I'm sticking with the 45C.

RC Juice 45C fit well side-by-side. I always add another layer of shrink wrap on soft case batteries, and that made them fit very tight though. They're actually kind of short end-to-end. I was also running the Floureon 3s 35C 5500mah batteries side-by-side, they're 1mm thinner each, but longer. Both sets work fine, but I'm sticking with the 45C.
I pad both ends of tray when running RC juice side by side.
IMG_20170414_191755741.jpg

Had the shrink wrap tear off one of my lipos the other day and the case popped open a bit... Cells all meassure ok but when i checked the case a small amount of fluid came out ?? I know that cant be good but does anyone know what it is ?? No smell and felt like water... But my cars haven't been in water.

Edit. Just pulled the hardcase off... Nothing in there and no swelling at all so i have no idea ?
FWIW, the local hobby store clerk said a leaking Lipo will smell of grape soda...

So I just took the last hour (what's wrong with me) to put together an aggregate chart in Excel to find the overall value of the most mentioned LiPo batteries in this thread. Since I am looking for 4s batteries, I only made the chart for 4s offerings, and I want a battery between 5000 and 7000 mah; anything larger and it is too heavy, anything smaller and there won't be enough run time. Any questions, let me know. Enjoy!
LipoBatteryComparison.jpg

I did notice something when looking at the chart. It appears that SMC racing is the best value, but they also have ridiculously high discharge ratings, which is is great, but perhaps unnecessary in most cases. For example, if I don't need a higher discharge rating than 40C, why would I pay more for 50C, 75C, etc. So I will make another chart, with an adjusted discharge rating of no higher than 40c.
Edit: Here is the adjusted chart. Anything over 40c was reduced to 40c.
LiPoBatteryComparisonAdjusted40C.jpg

Last edited:
So I just took the last hour (what's wrong with me) to put together an aggregate chart in Excel to find the overall value of the most mentioned LiPo batteries in this thread. Since I am looking for 4s batteries, I only made the chart for 4s offerings, and I want a battery between 5000 and 7000 mah; anything larger and it is too heavy, anything smaller and there won't be enough run time. Any questions, let me know. Enjoy!
View attachment 10858

I did notice something when looking at the chart. It appears that SMC racing is the best value, but they also have ridiculously high discharge ratings, which is is great, but perhaps unnecessary in most cases. For example, if I don't need a higher discharge rating than 40C, why would I pay more for 50C, 75C, etc. So I will make another chart, with an adjusted discharge rating of no higher than 40c.
Edit: Here is the adjusted chart. Anything over 40c was reduced to 40c.
View attachment 10859

Nice work and thank you for sharing your result!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back