Why are my batteries getting so hot?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIG TUNA

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Fireteam
  2. Typhon 6s
  3. Infraction 4x4
I am running a 2200KV motor with a MMX esc and I think a 17t pinion in my Tekno mt410. The motor temps are 160 and esc around 140-150 after 7-8 min of bashing. My battery was at 155 degrees! I love how the truck runs on 4s but I just about wasted two of my gensacearespammers batteries.

IMG_8750.jpg

I am running a 2200KV motor with a MMX esc and I think a 17t pinion in my Tekno mt410. The motor temps are 160 and esc around 140-150 after 7-8 min of bashing. My battery was at 155 degrees! I love how the truck runs on 4s but I just about wasted two of my gensacearespammers batteries.

View attachment 278947

Are those stock (from the factory) solder connections on the battery? Or did you do those yourself??

I had something similar happen and my wires were desoldering from the inside of the battery. Turned out to be something with my motor because I swapped toa different one and it was all good. Esc was getting really hot too

Hmm, i was running a 2000kv on a 14t and i thought that was getting the batteries pretty warm after a long bash. If i threw on a higher kv motor and 17t and then went for a long bash, i might expect my batteries to get hot. But my batteries were also a little older. Do you have any other batteries to check with? What is the battery IR when measured on a charger?

Are those stock (from the factory) solder connections on the battery? Or did you do those yourself??
Thats my poopy solder job
Are you using a proper balance charger? Are you over volting them? How long are your bash times? What is your gearing?
I am using a balance charger. I charged them to 15.2V as they are high volt gen ace. I bashed for close to 10 min. I think I have a 16t or 17t pinion.

What are the voltages after your bashes?
I think around 14.8v. I am surprised the batteries still work and balance fine after being so hot.
Hmm, i was running a 2000kv on a 14t and i thought that was getting the batteries pretty warm after a long bash. If i threw on a higher kv motor and 17t and then went for a long bash, i might expect my batteries to get hot. But my batteries were also a little older. Do you have any other batteries to check with? What is the battery IR when measured on a charger?
I did this to my other matching Gen Ace 6000 HV battery. I didn't notice it till I saw what I did to this one. I haven't checked the IR of the batteries. I am not sure how? I am sure my charger has it (Protek prodigy 610).

It's pulling amps that the pack can't provide. Amps = heat. Time for a new batt or batts.
I would add that it could also be consistent amperage over 5+ mins time that smaller bullet connectors do not like.

OP - Drive it for about 2 mins and shoot those connectors with an IR gun. I bet they are 180+ F.

I would add that it could also be consistent amperage over 5+ mins time that smaller bullet connectors do not like.

OP - Drive it for about 2 mins and shoot those connectors with an IR gun. I bet they are 180+ F.

The connectors were too hot to touch after around 7-8 min of jumping off my ramp. I do have a new Hobbywing max8 g2 esc I am thinking of putting in?

If ur lipos got overheated once. They might be gone. I have a pair of lipos who has a lot more volatage sag than my other lipos and they slightly puff and get very hot everytime i use them they cut off at 3.8v per cell. They just lost their ability to release power. They were 2 years old and i ruined them for running them hard during a heatwave. They puffed and got up to 65 celcius

I hope my arrma nero doesn't have a motor issue. 4 lipos that came with were puffed i hope it was because of the traxxas connectors then adaptor to xt60 made our of cheese

If ur lipos got overheated once. They might be gone. I have a pair of lipos who has a lot more volatage sag than my other lipos and they slightly puff and get very hot everytime i use them they cut off at 3.8v per cell. They just lost their ability to release power. They were 2 years old and i ruined them for running them hard during a heatwave. They puffed and got up to 65 Celsius
No puffing on these even after getting them so hot. I really like the gensacearespammers batteries; I puffed many others under less extreme conditions.
Your crappy sodor job did it...6000mah shouldn't get hot geared like this ..weak connection =====heat...
Don't feal bad,cause my $hitty sodoring has also burnt some shiot up
lol. I am going to redo my poopy solder job with another poopy solder job when I get home and see if that helps.

No puffing on these even after getting them so hot. I really like the gensacearespammers batteries; I puffed many others under less extreme conditions.

lol. I am going to redo my poopy solder job with another poopy solder job when I get home and see if that helps.
Its a hard case you cannot really confirm they are not puffed
A secret danger of a hardcase lipo it hides any kind of damage until the case ruptures

The solder looks like poop..

That solder job is giving me heartburn..!
I'll offer to redo it for free just so I don't have to look at that distressing connection again.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back