Infraction Will the new Hobbywing Ezrun 4990SD G2 1650kV fit?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigP

Reaction score
Hi,

me and a friend have both an Infraction V2.
I run a Hobbywing 1650kv 4985 size motor.

Its great and a tight fit in lenght and diameter. (stock motor mount)

Now Hobbywing has the new Max6 G2 ESC with a new, better 4990 size motor.
Will it fit? its 5mm longer and my 4985 is pretty much the limit in lenght (i believe).

Has someone already installed it or tried it?

Thanks

Screenshot 2023-11-04 173715.jpg

Simply measure for the extra 5mm you will need. If you don't have 5mm to spare (+1.0 mm or so to allow for chassis flex...), sorry, it will NOT fit.
It's really a simple one to figure out.
You can't make a square fit into a hole. Plug and play wise at least.
What side of your v2 Lim chassis did you mount your 4985 motor??
What's so great about the 4990 motor anyway? Do you expect any great difference in performance?? Have to consider the effort involved against the resulting benefit. 4985 is a large powerful motor as it is.
You trying to push the Lims over 150mph at all? Or just bashing/drifting these Lims around?
:cool:

Infraction V2, stock motor mount, stock position everything.
Maybe the 4990 is only real 3mm longer and it will fit. Maybe not.

I’ll let you know Thursday when mine arrives. Might have to turn down the bellcrank post on the lathe but it should fit. The bottom can case can be smoothed a couple mm as well where they added material for design.

Infraction V2, stock motor mount, stock position everything.
Maybe the 4990 is only real 3mm longer and it will fit. Maybe not.
Last I heard, 90mm - 85mm = 5mm. Not 3mm.
But with the "new Math" these days, some will argue that 1+1=3. So anything is possible??:LOL:
>>>Use a caliper to measure for sure. The only way.
Motor size specs are usually dead on. Especially HW.

It will fit if you grind the steering post down some.

+1
Running the motor on left default side, many got the thinner profile 3D Belcrank, to gain a few mm more.
and others merely Dremeled/shaved down the stocker belcrank.
All depends how many mm's you need to steal.

Last edited:
What's so great about the 4990 motor anyway? Do you expect any great difference in performance?? Have to consider the effort involved against the resulting benefit. 4985 is a large powerful motor as it is.
That’s just the spec for the new G2/G3 HW Max 6 combo. They’re fully sensored now. I’m assuming the extra 5mm from the 4985 was to accommodate the Hall sensor, but I could be wrong.

Yeah a Sensor's PCB would add some length in some cases depending on the motor Can and Brand. I know the G3's are sensored now.
Just that if more performance is what you are looking for, this may not be the ticket, coming from any 4985 motor, sensored or not. Sensored setups are great, I have many. I only upgrade to sensored ESC's, when I do.
But I don't do it for more power. Sensored doesn't work that way.

Yeah a Sensor's PCB would add some length in some cases depending on the motor Can and Brand. I know the G3's are sensored now.
Just that if more performance is what you are looking for, this may not be the ticket, coming from any 4985 motor, sensored or not. Sensored setups are great, I have many. I only upgrade to sensored ESC's, when I do.
But I don't do it for more power. Sensored doesn't work that way.
There’s no question this combo will make more power, 40+ amps continuous and boost/timing control with logging. They didn’t waste resources’ time redesigning a sensored can just to leave the original stator/rotor performance. The old 4985 wasn’t even 8S capable, it’s an easy 160+mph 1/7 setup.
I haven’t seen wattage ratings yet however, not that the entire RC sales market isn’t fictionally bloated.

1699200500540.png

Last edited:
Yeah I read all of that marketting stuff above.
I am all into HW and their new stuff.
There is no way to tell if it is More powerful a setup. Its all about the KV and the actual length and diameter of the Rotor for comparison purposes. Not the dimensions of the motor can. It gets deceiving that way. Some motor cans are longer, yet internally, the Rotors are shorter.
If both the 4985 and 4990 size motor weigh the same, and kv is the same. I cant see much of any difference. Power difference may just be splitting hairs. Heat efficiency is probably what matters most. It is hard to find any motor that is legit 90%+ efficient. I say HW is not in that group/ pricepoint.
TP and others are.

Last edited:
Yeah I read all of that marketting stuff above.
I am all into HW and their new stuff.
There is no way to tell if it is More powerful a setup. Its all about the KV and the actual length and diameter of the Rotor for comparison purposes. Not the dimensions of the motor can. It gets deceiving that way. Some motor cans are longer, yet internally, the Rotors are shorter.
If both the 4985 and 4990 size motor weigh the same, and kv is the same. I cant see much of any difference. Power difference may just be splitting hairs. Heat efficiency is probably what matters most. It is hard to find any motor that is legit 90%+ efficient. I say HW is not in that group/ pricepoint.
TP and others are.
I’d say you’re probably right about absolute WOT power, but with all of the new adjustment perimeters it would be feasible to dial it in much better for your actual application throughout the whole throttle curve. Think of a 1:1 dyno sheet with a great curve from start to redline.
Not that I’ll probably ever go to that effort for any of my rigs to achieve absolutely optimal performance, though.

There’s no question this combo will make more power, 40+ amps continuous and boost/timing control with logging. They didn’t waste resources’ time redesigning a sensored can just leave the original stator/rotor performance. The old 4985 wasn’t even 8S capable, it’s an easy 160+mph 1/7 setup.
I haven’t seen wattage ratings yet however, not that the entire RC sales market isn’t fictionally bloated.

View attachment 330273
There is zero chance a Max6 can take a 1/7 car to 160mph. Hell, I’d be surprised if even a Max5 could.

I’ll let you know Thursday when mine arrives. Might have to turn down the bellcrank post on the lathe but it should fit. The bottom can case can be smoothed a couple mm as well where they added material for design.
Did the 4990 fit or was modification required? Planning on dropping it in the Felony if so, If not I'll probably grab the 4985.

Did the 4990 fit or was modification required? Planning on dropping it in the Felony if so, If not I'll probably grab the 4985.
Yes, there is a mm or 2 clearance. I’m away for the holiday but I believe someone else has taken a photo on a v2 infraction.

Yes, there is a mm or 2 clearance. I’m away for the holiday but I believe someone else has taken a photo on a v2 infraction.
Stock pinion good on the 4990? My Felony is still in the box so no other modifications have been performed.

Stock pinion good on the 4990? My Felony is still in the box so no other modifications have been performed.
It will be a lot slower compared to stock motor. You definitely want to up the pinion.

I’d recommend the speed pinion right away if you don’t have like 20-22 to get you back to box stock speeds from the kV decrease. Obviously you can monitor temps and safeguards at the quick touch of a screen. Maybe start at 50-75 percent throttle as it will be an absolute animal and could get out of hand quickly if you’ve never bashed something of that magnitude..

Went bashing once 30/40 on mine with no temp concerns but it’s winter here below freezing now.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back