Kraton WTF is the secret?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kenyon

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
Alright guys. I don't know what this thing is called, or why there is an O ring on it, but what is the secret of putting it back together? I have been at it for over an hour and every time the nut gets almost all the way in that damn O ring squirts off of there.

Attachments

• 20200524_200456.jpg
    20200524_200456.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 199
I don’t know what it’s called. Pillar/pillow ball retainer...the o ring keeps it from backing out which was a common problem for the other models prior to 2019. You could try a little bit of spit on the threads or a tiny bit of wd40. Whatever you put on you would want it to dry out so no grease. Another thing you could do is wrap a little plumbers tape on it to retain the o ring.

I don’t know what it’s called. Pillar/pillow ball retainer...the o ring keeps it from backing out which was a common problem for the other models prior to 2019. You could try a little bit of spit on the threads or a tiny bit of wd40. Whatever you put on you would want it to dry out so no grease. Another thing you could do is wrap a little plumbers tape on it to retain the o ring.

Oooh! I like that plumber's tape idea!! I tried shock oil and it failed miserably. Now I know that even if it had worked it would have been counter productive. I think I will try that plumber's tape thing!

Last edited:
Oooh! I like that plumber's tape idea!! I tried shock oil and it failed miserably. Now I know that even if it had worked it would have been counter productive. I think I will try that plumber's tape thing!
Been running that on my v2 outcast since shortly after I got it 2 years ago. It didn't have o-rings back then. The teflon tape works really well.

A hair before the o-ring wants to pop out as you are tightening the cap, take a tiny flat head screwdriver with smooth edges, or something similar and run it around the outside of the o-ring, gently pushing the o-ring into the groove to help it squeeze past the lip. A little lube will help, and don't drag the tool you are using so hard that you start stretching the o-ring and cause it to push out.

Alright guys. I don't know what this thing is called, or why there is an O ring on it, but what is the secret of putting it back together? I have been at it for over an hour and every time the nut gets almost all the way in that damn O ring squirts off of there.
My trick is the same as I would use for any threaded bolt. I use my hands and not a hex, and slowly turn it backwards until it seats. Then I slowly turn it forwards paying attention that it doesn't bind. If it does, you'll likely cross thread it. The thread is fine and easy to wreck if you don't do it gently. Make sure the thread on the nut and the plastic it screws into are both very clean. When all else fails, switch to Hot Racing hubs and be done with the dreaded plastic hubs for good.

Because these inserts have fine threads, they must be started by hand or you risk cross threading. Adding a dab of 3M oil on the oring is also advised to reduce friction. Personally, I never had issues with these backing up on my Nero OEM caps and they don’t have orings.

Teflon tape seems like a nifty fix though.

Another option that some have chosen to do instead of thread tape is to drill and tap a hole perpendicular to the pivot ball nut hole and run a set screw in to lock the nut in place.

I think @olds97_lss has done this?

It seems like that would have been the best option from the factory. Using a rubber o-ring to nm prevent a nut from backing out doesn't even make sense to me.

It seems like that would have been the best option from the factory. Using a rubber o-ring to nm prevent a nut from backing out doesn't even make sense to me.
Just take it off and you have the V3 version ?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back