Xlx2 castle creations 1721 2400KV

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AjDale

Reaction score
I recently stretched my Typhon 6s and have a xlx2 esc with a 1721 2400kv castle creations speed motor. I am currently running 34T spool, 29T Pinion, 60K front diff fluid and 30K rear. I am looking for the best gearing to get the highest speed possible, I blew out a Hoon at 87MPH today, tire recommendations are also appreciated!
Running 6s only at the moment.

Last edited:
GRPs tires offer good value to performance ratio. Hit 109 mph with my Stretched Typhon. Fairly new to the Speen Running game as well. This Forum has been amazing at getting ideas to naturally progress in the different avenues of the RC world.

I don't hate to say it but, there really is no such thing as "best gearing" because there are just too many variables and will be different for each car, even if they're the same car with the same electronics installed. Sounds like you're set on the motor and ESC front. From a certain point onward, the max speed the car can achieve will start to be limited by your batteries (what batteries you use can easily make a difference of 10 even 20mph depending on what two sets you're comparing. And just generally speaking, gearing your car for its maximum potential top speed is a recipe for undesirable outcomes that will, more likely than not, involve crashes which, at these speeds can result in a total loss.

Speed running is, generally speaking, best taken in a succession of smaller steps as there changes you'll need to make to the setup as your speed increases and just trying to brute force your way past those adjustments isn't advisable for the aforementioned reasons. You don't jump from the ground to the top rung of a ladder for good reason and the analogy applies here. If you want to go fast, you won't get around the need for a good collection of gears so you can work your way up.

I can't answer your question as it's a malformed question. But seeing as 29/34 was successful, I'd suggest moving to a 1:1 ratio next with a 34T pinion.

As @snipergt15 mentioned, GRP makes good tires. They're easy on the wallet and their newest update to their wheels/tires makes them a sold choice for speeds into the 130s. They have the potential for higher speeds but beyond 130mph you're increasing the chance of tire failure at which point a change to foams would be advisable. That will require a little getting used to as foams feel quite a bit different but they're where it's at when it comes to high speeds. Brands worth looking at are BSR and Contact. There are foam tires by a company called GoneBananas but they're not as readily available as the others. But what they offer that other companies don't is that you can send them any rims you like and they'll skin them with foams. Not sure what the price is for that but, it's a nice service that can make foams available for unlikely vehicles such as the 1/5 scale Kraton and other such vehicles.

If you have other questions pertaining to speed running, I'd recommend checking out the "Speed Demons" section of the forum. I'll also be happy to help any way I can to get you pointed in the right direction and there are several other runners and gurus here that are more than helpful with anything you might need (questions regarding "best gearing" notwithstanding).

Last edited:
Ah okay. Great motor.
Was able to hit 98.1MPH stock electronics 46T spur 29T pinion so gonna have to play around with this some more

IMG_5376.jpeg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back