XLX2 sucks -_-

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, I put the brand new XLX2 that I got as a warranty replacement for the one that caught on fire in my k8s in the DBXL I just recently got. I get everything setup and go outside all excited and I get to drive the rig for about 5 minutes before it just completely dies. Thankfully I wasn't going that fast because I would have smacked right into the curb otherwise.

I cannot believe a brand new xlx2 just dies on me on the very first run. No burnt smell no weird signs no nothing. Just DEAD, won't even connect to castle link. I tried swapping wire harnesses, rx and everything else I could think of. I installed another xlx2 and boom everything working great again.

How am I this unlucky? I guess I should be glad this one didn't burst into flames too but gawd damn man I didn't even get through 1 pack with this esc............ :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :eek::(:mad::eek::eek::mad:

Now I have to pay for shipping again to send them back this faulty POS
Don't feel alone. My XLX2 went puff on my bench last night. It was installed properly.

Don't feel alone. My XLX2 went puff on my bench last night. It was installed properly.
Why is a lot of these going đź’Ą.are they poorly made? Did you guys find out why it happens?

Crazy!! and then they want to act like we're the ones doing something wrong?? so insulting lol. I really wish they would take the problem seriously and take steps to fix it. I really like castle over hobbywing and it sucks I'm going to end up having to stay away from anymore new xlx2's at this rate.

Maybe I should check my bearings. I just got my DBXL off someone here used but its making some funky noises after my first little run. I'm not sure if it's just the way it is or what. I did read about the alu bulkheads being a great idea so I'm currently waiting on 2 of those to come from china. I had the punch control set to 40% but I've been worried since my k8s drivetrain really struggled to handle the xlx2 combo full power.

Now I have to go look up wtf an angular contact bearing is. :ROFLMAO:
Something I just remembered concerning the DBXL-E, please dear god if you can find mechanical brakes, get them.
LOS352003 is the item code for them, in the UK they basically don't exist from my experience but I've had my pinion come off twice at 50+ mph and the size/weight of these things are nothing to sneeze at.

Thankfully during one catastrophe there was a massive steel rubbish container that stopped it, had it not stopped it I dread to think what could've happened.
I cannot trust motor brakes anymore after those kinds of experiences, god basically takes the wheel.

Crazy!! and then they want to act like we're the ones doing something wrong?? so insulting lol. I really wish they would take the problem seriously and take steps to fix it. I really like castle over hobbywing and it sucks I'm going to end up having to stay away from anymore new xlx2's at this rate.
I still have 3. One of them is pretty much brand new. If they mess up again, I'm done too. I'm already done with their motors.

I agree with you. I admit I was disappointed but not really mad and I'm glad it happened now and not in the spring because they may not be sending me a new one. Do I have confidence in it not happening in a week when I will have a new one. No but I'm hoping things don't go bad again because I think it would be a great esc. I did order a mamba monster 8s as a backup and that is what I'll run it in my other limitless if the XLXv2 works out. Never had any problem with my hobbywing stuff but still think the castle is a better choice also if it can be dependable. If it can't I don't have the funds to keep buying them. Still looking forward to trying it again. Sorry it happened to you..

Hey guys, I just ordered xlx2 + 2028 (800) should I return it while it is sealed? This thing is quite expensive I don't want it to burn my car. I chose cc cuz I want to add telemetry possibility, but I definitely prefer reliability over functionality. Thank you

Hey guys, I just ordered xlx2 + 2028 (800) should I return it while it is sealed? This thing is quite expensive I don't want it to burn my car. I chose cc cuz I want to add telemetry possibility, but I definitely prefer reliability over functionality. Thank you
At this point I'm biased against the xlx 2. I will say though that my first one lasted 8+ months before It decided to blow up. If this is for a 1/5th scale rig I'd be tempted to go max 5 + any motor if I were you. With that said, there is always a chance you don't have any problems, but I definitely see more people having problems with 1/5th scale + xlx2 compared to on road cars + xlx2. Maybe its a coincidence? I dunno.

Really sucks because I love the idea of castle, but I have to be honest and my outcast 8s with the max 5 + tp motor has been 100% problem free and just works every time with no weirdo stuff ever.

At this point I'm biased against the xlx 2. I will say though that my first one lasted 8+ months before It decided to blow up. If this is for a 1/5th scale rig I'd be tempted to go max 5 + any motor if I were you. With that said, there is always a chance you don't have any problems, but I definitely see more people having problems with 1/5th scale + xlx2 compared to on road cars + xlx2. Maybe its a coincidence? I dunno.

Really sucks because I love the idea of castle, but I have to be honest and my outcast 8s with the max 5 + tp motor has been 100% problem free and just works every time with no weirdo stuff ever.
oh god( I took everything for the castle... remote, telemetry link, castle link...

I'm going Max 5 myself in one of on rigs with a 1100 I think that combo would be trouble free and go good.

The risk is bad enough of burning up an entire rig, when they won’t even cover the faulty piece of equipment, it’s time to move onto something else.

oh god( I took everything for the castle... remote, telemetry link, castle link...
I don't want to scare you lol. Tons of people have decent luck with the xlx2. Definitely hear about way more failures compared to hobby wing though.
I'm going Max 5 myself in one of on rigs with a 1100 I think that combo would be trouble free and go good.
You mean on an on road rig?

On one of my limitless. I still have a xlx2 on the way to go with my 1721 in my other.. I still believe the xlxv2 would be the best if it lasts and it may this time.
@Matt05 All I'm going to do for the first run is use a HD Velcro to hold it in and if something happens reach in with a glove and yank it out. Nothing to worry about.

Last edited:
I actually passed up a sweet 8s rig because it had a new XLX2 with it. Too many reports of failure for me. And from what I saw even when a max6 or max5 died it typically didn't go up in 🔥.

I actually passed up a sweet 8s rig because it had a new XLX2 with it. Too many reports of failure for me. And from what I saw even when a max6 or max5 died it typically didn't go up in 🔥.
You go to be kidding, Right?

gotta say I'm losing confidence in Caste. I received an XLX2 as part of the step up program In Dec and it never worked correctly. BEC voltages were all over the +/-0.8 volts, random shut downs, different error codes etc. So I called tech support and they told me to reflash the ESC and clear the logs which I did and it didn't resolve the problem. So I sent it back and they said it wasn't covered because I was using it with a 1721? Then I told them it never worked correctly and he started giving me grief saying the log showed 412A which was way over the limit etc.... And that customers "abused" the products and wondered why they failed

So finally, he said he would to a "one time" warranty exchange.....

gotta say I'm losing confidence in Caste. I received an XLX2 as part of the step up program In Dec and it never worked correctly. BEC voltages were all over the +/-0.8 volts, random shut downs, different error codes etc. So I called tech support and they told me to reflash the ESC and clear the logs which I did and it didn't resolve the problem. So I sent it back and they said it wasn't covered because I was using it with a 1721? Then I told them it never worked correctly and he started giving me grief saying the log showed 412A which was way over the limit etc.... And that customers "abused" the products and wondered why they failed

So finally, he said he would to a "one time" warranty exchange.....

And I'm sure we can sort of understand IF the ESC was some Cheap no name branded unit... To receive such below par service from that kind of company.

But for Castle to NOT even acknowledge their product was Not operating at a stable BEC voltage And had Random shutdowns & Error issues from a supposed Brand New unit... That's just Pathetic.

And to then claim/blame the customer for misuse... LAME!

On one of my limitless. I still have a xlx2 on the way to go with my 1721 in my other.. I still believe the xlxv2 would be the best if it lasts and it may this time.
@Matt05 All I'm going to do for the first run is use a HD Velcro to hold it in and if something happens reach in with a glove and yank it out. Nothing to worry about.
Yeah for on road, I think that the XLX2 is fine. It's mostly the off road that has given the XLX2 trouble. I must admit that that I abused the crap out of my XLX2 so yeah. Bullets came off the board from two of them. That's it. But then I see people just connect one and flames! Or just one small jump and crash, FLAMES 🤷
You should fine. I have two replacement XLX2 that are doing good with better treatment (not huge jumps all the time), lowered gearing and I'm using smaller motors. Just don't gear it to the freaking moon. And keep an eye on your voltage spikes. Use QS8 connectors and take it from there.

I completely understand Castle's perspective on it though. How many customers tell them giant lies every day trying to get something replaced for free?
Not saying we do this but many customers do. I worked in customer support in my younger days and it is a beat down.

Again......

Castle for speed.
Hobbywing for bashing.
Do you know how well the Mamba X SCT's hold up to bashing? I was thinking about upgrading some of my Slashes with some of those combos this year, but I haven't looked at similar HW offerings yet honestly.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back