Granite 17mm hex wheels on Gryphon with Typhon axles?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arrmaab

Reaction score
I'm just curious what 17mm hex wheels/tires people are running on their Gryphon builds (with Typhon axles) and if they had to use extenders to ensure there is enough clearance.

Is it possible to run the Typhon axles but change out the stub at the end to the regular Granite stubs keeping the 14mm hex which I can then adapt to a 12mm?

These questions may seem ridiculous but I don't have any of the parts in front of me yet to try mixing and matching otherwise I would.

If you’re looking for 17mm wheel recommendations, I’m a fan of the Mojave wheels on my Typhon. A truggy tire I’ve heard good things about is duratrax blinder, though I haven’t tried them.

If you’re looking for 17mm wheel recommendations, I’m a fan of the Mojave wheels on my Typhon. A truggy tire I’ve heard good things about is duratrax blinder, though I haven’t tried them.
Are you running them as is or do you have spacers on to accommodate?

Are you running them as is or do you have spacers on to accommodate?
The mojave wheels bolted up to my typhon 3S with no modifications. I haven’t had any rubbing or other fitment issues.

The car started to traction roll a little more, so I bought RPM a-arms which have a second shock mounting point for lower ride height. That fixed the issue and I love how it drives now.

Is it possible to run the Typhon axles but change out the stub at the end to the regular Granite stubs keeping the 14mm hex which I can then adapt to a 12mm?
The reason for using the Typhon hexes/axles/hubs is so 17mm wheels/tires will fit. There is no reason to get them if you want 12mm. Just use the 14 to 12mm adapters.

Last edited:
The reason for using the Typhon hexes/axles/hubs is so 17mm wheels/tires will fit. There is no reason to get them if you want 12mm. Just use the 14 to 12mm adapters.
Thank you for this. I haven't decided on wheels/tires yet, I'm going to run the stock Granite ones until they wear out then decide. I ordered the hexes hubs and axles from Jenny's (they had them when I ordered the turnbuckles so I figured why not) so in the future I'll have any option at my disposal.

I just wasn't sure if the plastic parts of the Typhon axles were longer than the Granite ones or if it was the metal stubs at the ends were the difference.

Yeah. Ours has now the LWB chassis typhon a arms, a wing, so it's like a big rock with a wing now. We broke everything and used different parts until we have a totally new truck.

Has a kraton 4S body on it.

I think most people put the typhon a arms or add the wing or stretch the granite with the longer wheelbase.

Not sure what constitutes a Gryphon I just take it to mean it's a mash up of the 4x4 lineups parts.

I'm new to this hobby but from what I've read people refer to a Granite with Typhon arms as a Gryphon.
The granite is the least long and least wide model in the line. That makes it backflip and stuff but it also makes it prone to traction rollovers or like barrel rolls. But it also makes it tougher since there is less leverage with shorter arms and wheelbase where impacts are concerned.

I think it depends on your driving style. We're more into like stupid speed and crazy power slides than stunting and ramps and stuff. Jumps are fun but it's more about survival than style. Big air vs technical.

It made sense to widen and lengthen to be more stable at speed.
Also a wing absorbs a shitload of impact. Raised the survivability of the truck an hundredfold.

I doubt it makes much difference in terms of ground effects but I am too awful a driver to notice.

I just wasn't sure if the plastic parts of the Typhon axles were longer than the Granite
If you’re referencing the plastic 2-piece driveshaft, the Typhon and granite use the same part number. The two pieces just overlap each other more on the granite since the suspension is narrower.

If you’re referencing the plastic 2-piece driveshaft, the Typhon and granite use the same part number. The two pieces just overlap each other more on the granite since the suspension is narrower.
I should have looked at the diagrams for each and I'd have known. I'll have 2 complete sets of shafts now so I can easily swap between wheel hex sizes by just swapping 1 half of the shaft.
I think it depends on your driving style. We're more into like stupid speed and crazy power slides than stunting and ramps and stuff. Jumps are fun but it's more about survival than style. Big air vs technical.
This sums up my driving style at the moment. I get sideways on 2 wheels often so the wider stance should help that. Jumps are cool but I haven't had time to build a ramp yet so we've been "jumping" off a sheet of plywood that is leaning on 6x6 post cut off from when we built our fence. It's more than adequate for my boys who are still mastering the art of not hitting curbs and other stationary objects.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back