4092 motor wires too short. How did you extend them?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MMoelmann

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Fireteam
  2. Granite
  3. Mojave
  4. Notorious
  5. Outcast 8s
  6. Talion EXB
  7. Typhon 6s
I'm installing a Hobbystar 4092 in my Fireteam and the wires don't reach the ESC. Obviously I need to extend them. I just wanted to hear what others have come up with for a solution.

I don't know why they made the wires so short. I just want to make it look clean and function properly.
Is there any specific wire people have used? Or can I just go to the hardware store and pick some up as long as it is the right gauge?

I would highly recommend to Move the ESC closer to motor instead , and to extend the control wire from ESC to Rx.
Much simpler.

I would highly recommend to Move the ESC closer to motor instead , and to extend the control wire from ESC to Rx.
Much simpler.
I like this option. I'll see how close I can get the ESC.
That's great info. If I can't get the ESC close enough I'll definitely go with this option. Thank you.

I'm pretty sure i read there are two ways of terminating the windings on a motor, one kind allows you to cut back the cables and the other kind will cause issues. I'm sure someone with more knowledge will confirm or deny my statements.
found this
Yes, you’re absolutely correct. @Diem Turner pointed out that the TP motor wires actually are the windings and can’t be shortened because each strand of the wires are individually coated, and others use this method as well. If the motor has solder tabs on the back of the can for the wires (Like CC motors) then you can, as it’s just stranded wire.
Best to find out which setup your motor has before you do anything with the wires.

Don’t overthink it. I swap between max 8/6/5, longer battery wires on other ESC and shorter motor extensions. No way around it unless you have the ESC/motor flipped

BEC53538-F407-42C0-9492-E9483FD42E76.jpeg

Before someone says something about the exposed bullet, zip ties prevent contact.
2B5CB9E3-8988-4DAD-BD8C-3ABB4A4B03E1.jpeg

Last edited:
Yes, you’re absolutely correct. @Diem Turner pointed out that the TP motor wires actually are the windings and can’t be shortened because each strand of the wires are individually coated, and others use this method as well. If the motor has solder tabs on the back of the can for the wires (Like CC motors) then you can, as it’s just stranded wire.
Best to find out which setup your motor has before you do anything with the wires.
You will only be able to measure the resistance, never see a difference when running it. Just like running an extra 5-10 feet of speaker wire, you can measure the minute resistance but most likely never hear any difference. Windings that come out of the can are the same as a castle motor with solder tabs. Essentially, you'd be running the windings longer on a castle motor and no one sees any difference. TP motor wires are very short and most have to extend them longer, no problems.
Don’t overthink it.

Bingo!

You will only be able to measure the resistance, never see a difference when running it. Just like running an extra 5-10 feet of speaker wire, you can measure the minute resistance but most likely never hear any difference. Windings that come out of the can are the same as a castle motor with solder tabs. Essentially, you'd be running the windings longer on a castle motor and no one sees any difference. TP motor wires are very short and most have to extend them longer, no problems.

Bingo!
I know what you’re saying about resistance, but if you cut off TP motor wires you can’t solder bullets back to them without removing the enamel coating on every single strand of the cable. That’s why I suggested:
https://www.radiocontrolpower.com/product-page/6-5mm-male-to-6-5mm-female-motor-wire-extension-8-awg

I know what you’re saying about resistance, but if you cut off TP motor wires you can’t solder bullets back to them without removing the enamel coating on every single strand of the cable. That’s why I suggested:
https://www.radiocontrolpower.com/product-page/6-5mm-male-to-6-5mm-female-motor-wire-extension-8-awg
I watched the video above and I believe the 4092 motor wires are terminated within the motor can as opposed to a TP Motor. I should be able to cut the wires and extend them with the extensions you linked to.

The 4092 wires are just an odd length that are just too short to go to the ESC, but if I kept them their original length then the extensions out of the ESC would only be an inch. I really don't want extra wire that I need to coil and zip tie out of the way.

There's two ways that I know of to extend. One is to buy or make extensions, two is unsolder the leads from the motor behind the end bell.. I just replaced a broken motor lead on a 10 year old Tenshock motor that had frayed halfway through where the lead enters the motor can.
The windings where soldered to a butt splice to motor cable behind the end bell cover, covered with heat shrink..
I was ecstatic to be able to save my old Tenshock motor!! Yeha😁🍻
I must ad, I had nothing to loose since the motor would've been useless anyway if my repair didn't work.

I made my own extensions with silicone wire and three pairs of 6.5mm bullet connectors. Easy peasy.

Radio Control Power sells the individual components as well as the pre-made extensions. Good company by the way. Alternatively, I’ve been happy with the BNTECHGO brand of wire on Amazon.

Resistance levels are negligible for this application. We aren’t talking about a 600 amp speed runner here. You’re fine just using bullet extensions.

I'd recommends desoldering the existing ends of the motor (I assume bullets) and working off those ends just in case.
Removing enamel coating can be done. I have done it. There is also a chemical process to do it, but it is equally a pain....

The fumes from this method are nasty. Wear a mask if you end up trying this one:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back