4985 vs 4292

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm going to say speed and torque. That seems to the correlation with motor cans. Length=kv and diameter=torque. Yet that isn't set in stone. But for the most part, one will be faster and the other will be stronger.

I see,
I’m running the xo1 motor in my sledge and it has torque for days but I found a 4292 motor of the same kv so that’s why I’m curious
I'm going to say speed and torque. That seems to the correlation with motor cans. Length=kv and diameter=torque. Yet that isn't set in stone. But for the most part, one will be faster and the other will be stronger.
And by stronger more torque right?

If both motors have the same kv and both are the same size in mm (one wider and one longer) is there any advantage with one over the other? More torque or speed??
Speed is the same since kv is the same.

Diameter affects torque more than length, surface area being equal. The bigger diameter can will have more torque.

“RC Explained” on YouTube has some good videos on the topic.

Last edited:

Diameter impacts torque more than length does, surface area being equal. The bigger diameter can will have more torque.

RC Explained is awesome! Here is the video explaining motor diameter vs length. It was really informative on this exact topic.

Think of the diameter of the motor as length of the lever arm. The longer the lever, the more torque. Think of the length as how many of those lever arms are applying torque. So it can be a narrower motor can, but if it is longer it can have the same torque.

They will probably feel relatively similar, with the 4985 likely having a slight edge in torque. There are a few other variables in play as well, like whether they are from different companies, can length for cooling, etc. Some companies make good quality motors, others are just adequate.

I do like that you can stick two 40mm fans on the 4292/4092 side by side and not have to worry about the position of where the wires come out of the motor.

Diameter impacts torque more than length, surface area being equal. The bigger diameter can will have more torque.

Thanks I’ll check it out!
Bigger can will run cooler also. More surface area of the can = a larger heatsink.
Thank you!
They will probably feel relatively similar, with the 4985 likely having a slight edge in torque. There are a few other variables in play as well, like whether they are from different companies, can length for cooling, etc. Some companies make good quality motors, others are just adequate.

I do like that you can stick two 40mm fans on the 4292/4092 side by side and not have to worry about the position of where the wires come out of the motor.
I agree the xo1 motor runs super cool
RC Explained is awesome! Here is the video explaining motor diameter vs length. It was really informative on this exact topic.

Think of the diameter of the motor as length of the lever arm. The longer the lever, the more torque. Think of the length as how many of those lever arms are applying torque. So it can be a narrower motor can, but if it is longer it can have the same torque.
Perfect thank you!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back