4292 vs 4985???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton EXB
Hello,
I’m in the market for a new motor and I usually go with max 6 combo. However I can get a 4292 for a steal and I have a lot of room in my k6s exb. Being that the millimeters are the same one being fatter and one being longer will there be any marked difference in performance. I do like hearing high which I going the 4985 is capable without burning. Does the narrow circumference make it heat up quicker? Thank you all!

Hello,
I’m in the market for a new motor and I usually go with max 6 combo. However I can get a 4292 for a steal and I have a lot of room in my k6s exb. Being that the millimeters are the same one being fatter and one being longer will there be any marked difference in performance. I do like hearing high which I going the 4985 is capable without burning. Does the narrow circumference make it heat up quicker? Thank you all!
Power is measured in Watt.
A 4292 typically has around 4200W, where the 4985 has 5700W. That being said I’ve read comments saying the 4985 was a bit too much power in a Kraton.
The 4985 has no problem pulling a wheelie in my Fireteam and Mojave so I need to gradually increase power to avoid that.
A 4092 or 4292 will do nicely in Kraton if you ask me.

4292 gets my vote. Enough torque and finesse to almost crawl on my kraton EXB geared with a 20t pinion (1650kv motor) and plenty of room to run two 40mm fans side by side without having to worry about orientation of the motor etc.

If you want bezerk, then go 4985. But really, the 4292 will still be more than you'll ever need IMO.

4292 gets my vote. Enough torque and finesse to almost crawl on my kraton EXB geared with a 20t pinion (1650kv motor) and plenty of room to run two 40mm fans side by side without having to worry about orientation of the motor etc.

If you want bezerk, then go 4985. But really, the 4292 will still be more than you'll ever need IMO.
I like bezerk, I went w/ the 4985 1650kv!😆

Nothing wrong with that!!👍
Guess it depends on what the OP is after, as well as upgrades(weight) of the rig in question too. A full beefcake Kraton might be better with the 4985. Or there's several TP options too. I've always fancied me a taste of the TP motors.. see what all the fuss is aboot!!🤔😁🍻

I wish they made some ~46mm motors instead of jumping straight from 40mm to 56mm.
Rocket/surpass make a 4585, but ironically, it's even lower listed design wattage than the 4092 (3600w vs 4200w).

But yeah, you'd think they'd have something like a 4692 or something. My buddy runs the 4585 in his KEXB on 8s, so it's hard to do an apples to apples comparison with mine running the 4092 on 6s. He definitely still has heat issues though (not running any fans).

Realistically, design wattage is based on thermal performance, so whether the 4585 is any more "powerful" than the 4092 at the same voltage and kv is beyond me.

I hate to jump into someone else's question, but I am in the same situation. But, mine is around brand. I am looking at the Rocket SuperSonic combo on RadioControlPower.com (4292-1500kv). Or the CC 1650kv combo. Both have the MMX8 esc. There is about a 75 dollar difference in the combo's. Is anyone using the Rocket SuperSonic motors. Who makes them. I am sure the quality is much lower than Castel, but are they any good. I can not find any reviews on Rocket motors. I am putting on the build above (K6s). It weights around 15lbs with upgrades. I am looking to keep temp down by running 6s on 8s system.

I hate to jump into someone else's question, but I am in the same situation. But, mine is around brand. I am looking at the Rocket SuperSonic combo on RadioControlPower.com (4292-1500kv). Or the CC 1650kv combo. Both have the MMX8 esc. There is about a 75 dollar difference in the combo's. Is anyone using the Rocket SuperSonic motors. Who makes them. I am sure the quality is much lower than Castel, but are they any good. I can not find any reviews on Rocket motors. I am putting on the build above (K6s). It weights around 15lbs with upgrades. I am looking to keep temp down by running 6s on 8s system.
China..
That motor is the Surpass hobby/Hobby Star..same. They're pretty good IMO. I have several, with cooling fins (42mm) and without (40mm)..that's the v2 version, mine is v1. Differences? Color of anodizing and temp sensor (v2). Not sure what else. The motor is on sale at rc juice for $70.
https://www.rcjuice.com/motor-esc/b...s-motor-temperature-protection-1-8-truck.html

The Castle 1717 will be more powerful and run cooler than the rocket 4292. Only you can answer whether that extra $75 fits into your budget.
Rocket/surpass make a 4585, but ironically, it's even lower listed design wattage than the 4092 (3600w vs 4200w).
I’ve seen that also. Doesn’t make sense to me.

Hello,
How much heavier is that other motor? What's the price difference? I know that when you buy a Max 6 and 1650KV motor combo, it comes out to like $277 at Amain at least? If it comes out cheaper with the other motor, I would probably do it, but I would just get the same size as the 1650KV or very similar like the rocket one I linked. For example, I use my 1650KV HW motor with a MMX8S on 6s with my K6S XL with 23T pinion. It's a 50+ MPH beast. I use two 30x30x10 fans that keep the motor temps in check. Here's the Rocket motor

https://www.radiocontrolpower.com/p...ess-motor-choose-your-kv-1100kv-8s-or-1580-6s

Power is measured in Watt.
A 4292 typically has around 4200W, where the 4985 has 5700W. That being said I’ve read comments saying the 4985 was a bit too much power in a Kraton.
The 4985 has no problem pulling a wheelie in my Fireteam and Mojave so I need to gradually increase power to avoid that.
A 4092 or 4292 will do nicely in Kraton if you ask me.
Thank you!
How high?
25/50

Thank you!
Me too lol
China..
That motor is the Surpass hobby/Hobby Star..same. They're pretty good IMO. I have several, with cooling fins (42mm) and without (40mm)..that's the v2 version, mine is v1. Differences? Color of anodizing and temp sensor (v2). Not sure what else. The motor is on sale at rc juice for $70.
https://www.rcjuice.com/motor-esc/b...s-motor-temperature-protection-1-8-truck.html
I have a friend at the shop with the surpass 4292 for 50 flat

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back