Typhon 6S turnbuckles on a 3S...?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yas

Very Active Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Felony
  2. Mojave EXB
  3. Notorious
  4. Outcast 6s
  5. Typhon 3s
I don't think this has been asked before, although I only did a quick search on here so sorry if it has

I bent my Typhon's front tie rod. Has anyone tried fitting the 6mm M5 thread Typhon 6S rear linkages to a Typhon 3S? Either at the front or back? Are the turnbuckles and rod ends similar in length? Are the 6S rod ends too big to fit the 3S?

I'm currently at work and so don't have my cars in front of me to experiment with. Maybe someone has tried this before?

Nearly a year later but here we are ⌛

The Typhon 6S turnbuckles and rod ends DO work, including the steering links! The rear M5 turnbuckles used, originally for the Typhon 6S, are by far beefier than the stock M4 ones and fit both front and rear 👌

The only difference I made was the pivot balls. The original 6S balls have no barrel shape to them for spacing on either side. They would have too much play without using washers, so instead I used some longer 9mm HPI balls in all of the links (two packs, all 12 in total)

All turnbuckles are near the limit though, so further negative camber/toe probably won't be possible with these links and Typhon 3S arms

PXL_20211222_115522267.jpg

PXL_20211222_115417226.jpg

PXL_20211222_115334544.jpg

PXL_20211222_115324417.jpg

PXL_20211222_115155171.jpg

PXL_20211222_115126153.jpg

PXL_20211222_122652533~2.jpg

Last edited:
I think I'm going to give this a shot on my Wide Stance Granite. I'm sick of bending turnbuckles and prefer steel to TI.

Just to confirm, it looks like the toe in turnbuckle is still M4 (ARA340176 silver or AR340070 black) is that correct? Any problems bending that one still?

Also do you have any thoughts on alternatives to the HPI balls? HPI 101419 are really hard to come-by, I can't find anywhere that has more than 1 set available and long lead times. I think the stock 6S balls (ARA330554) are likely too wide? You said they are too narrow and need washers but from what I can tell they look too wide at 12mm vs 9mm.

Going to go buy some more stock turnbuckles for this weekend, but feeling like this might be the better long term solution.

Thanks for this post!

I think I'm going to give this a shot on my Wide Stance Granite. I'm sick of bending turnbuckles and prefer steel to TI.

Just to confirm, it looks like the toe in turnbuckle is still M4 (ARA340176 silver or AR340070 black) is that correct? Any problems bending that one still?

Also do you have any thoughts on alternatives to the HPI balls? HPI 101419 are really hard to come-by, I can't find anywhere that has more than 1 set available and long lead times. I think the stock 6S balls (ARA330554) are likely too wide? You said they are too narrow and need washers but from what I can tell they look too wide at 12mm vs 9mm.

Going to go buy some more stock turnbuckles for this weekend, but feeling like this might be the better long term solution.

Thanks for this post!
Hi mate!

I hadn't actually bent any stock steering turnbuckles - just a camber one. I figured I'll just replace the lot with EXB turnbuckles (I chose the silver ones but both of the part numbers you posted are correct), so both camber and steering links, despite the 6S steering turnbuckles being the same size as the stock M4 3S ones

The ARA330554 balls you mentioned are for the steering racks on the 6S vehicles ❌ they won't fit anywhere on the 3S vehicles because they are too long, so definitely ignore these

The stock 6S balls I was referring to are AR310450 ✅ they will fit in all of the camber/steering rod ends (on the 6S cars they are used in the rear rod ends at the rear hubs), but will leave a lot of play because they are not long or "shouldered" enough, and will require some M3 washers to fill the space

If you can't find the HPI/Maverick balls, and don't want to use the AR310450 balls with washers, you can potentially try AR330202. These should also fit in the rod ends (on the 6S cars they are used in the rear rod ends at the shock tower) - HOWEVER - I'm pretty certain that they will probably not fit on the shock tower sides of the 3S trucks, due to the diameter of the larger shoulder on them. They may fit at the hub sides of the 3S trucks though... just don't hold me to it as I've not tried them. They could be too long anyway 🤷‍♂️ I should probably get a new battery for my digital calipers 😬

Anyone try the Lunsford Racing ones? They have a lifetime warranty.

I use the Lunsford turnbuckles. They are amazing. I was bending and breaking stock turnbuckles all the time. While I did manage to bend one Lunsford, it was barely bent. It was so minimal I think I was running the truck for a while without noticing it. Tested the lifetime warranty and it was replaced no questions asked. The other 5 have lasted since I got them in August 2020. I jump high and can crash hard. They are nearly bulletproof. If you are having trouble with the turnbuckles rather than the rod ends, I highly recommend them.

Last edited:
Hi mate!

I hadn't actually bent any stock steering turnbuckles - just a camber one. I figured I'll just replace the lot with EXB turnbuckles (I chose the silver ones but both of the part numbers you posted are correct), so both camber and steering links, despite the 6S steering turnbuckles being the same size as the stock M4 3S ones

The ARA330554 balls you mentioned are for the steering racks on the 6S vehicles ❌ they won't fit anywhere on the 3S vehicles because they are too long, so definitely ignore these

The stock 6S balls I was referring to are AR310450 ✅ they will fit in all of the camber/steering rod ends (on the 6S cars they are used in the rear rod ends at the rear hubs), but will leave a lot of play because they are not long or "shouldered" enough, and will require some M3 washers to fill the space

If you can't find the HPI/Maverick balls, and don't want to use the AR310450 balls with washers, you can potentially try AR330202. These should also fit in the rod ends (on the 6S cars they are used in the rear rod ends at the shock tower) - HOWEVER - I'm pretty certain that they will probably not fit on the shock tower sides of the 3S trucks, due to the diameter of the larger shoulder on them. They may fit at the hub sides of the 3S trucks though... just don't hold me to it as I've not tried them. They could be too long anyway 🤷‍♂️ I should probably get a new battery for my digital calipers 😬
Thanks for the clarification!

I definately considered the Lunsford turnbuckles too but I like the idea of beefing up the whole linkage including balls and rod ends up to the 6S stuff. I've already got 6S shocks on it too (like you). That said, I've bought enough stock M4 turnbuckles that I could have paid for the Lunsford ones so I probably should have done that a while ago. I'm just impatient and usually want stuff NOW and my LHS doesn't stock the Lunsfords :p.

I'll probably run through the spare parts I've got then upgrade on the next round. I haven't actually bent a steering turnbuckle either so your right, those are probably fine at M4,

Thanks again for the tips! Seems like a good mod.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back