9t motor good for a vortek

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It would be fast, you might have to gear down a tooth or two. It will build more heat in the ESC and motor as well. And you will lose torque as a function of gaining rpm’s. If it were me, I’d stay in the vicinity of 12 turn motor.
Welcome to the forum!

It won't be faster than a 12T.
It's a big bump up in theoritical maximum rpm's which you probably won't reach without gearing down significantly and then you get simular speeds with more wear.

If you are looking for more power/speed go for brushless.

It won't be faster than a 12T.
It's a big bump up in theoritical maximum rpm's which you probably won't reach without gearing down significantly and then you get simular speeds with more wear.

If you are looking for more power/speed go for brushless.
I put a Tekin 9T in a brushed Slash back in the day and it was definitely faster on the same gearing than the 12T Titan. I do agree though about going brushless for significant change, that’s night and day.

Thank you for the welcome and thank you for the information. I have 2 brushless now. Typhon 1/8 3s and a maverick quantum flux monster truck. The maverick is extremely fast lol. I'm a fella who love's speed and torque. But if I had too choose speed all the way. My maverick blows my Typhon away. But I also have another question for you guys as well. I bought my Typhon a few weeks and I'm a basher all the way with every vehicle I have ever owned. And it's landed pretty hard a few times and even hit a tree from mistakenly hitting the throttle too hard. But now transmitter will only work for about 15 feet then it goes off on its own. I've done everything. I'm guessing it's shot?

Thank you for the welcome and thank you for the information. I have 2 brushless now. Typhon 1/8 3s and a maverick quantum flux monster truck. The maverick is extremely fast lol. I'm a fella who love's speed and torque. But if I had too choose speed all the way. My maverick blows my Typhon away. But I also have another question for you guys as well. I bought my Typhon a few weeks and I'm a basher all the way with every vehicle I have ever owned. And it's landed pretty hard a few times and even hit a tree from mistakenly hitting the throttle too hard. But now transmitter will only work for about 15 feet then it goes off on its own. I've done everything. I'm guessing it's shot?
Most range issues are due to the receiver antenna. Your antenna may be broken or have a nick in it that you can't see.

Sounds like a silly oversight, but check the batteries in your radio as well.

Thank you again for the info. I have checked it out and it is cracked on the very bottom where the antenna ends in the plastic casing. Do I need to get a new reciever? Or just buy a new antenna tube?
Sounds like a silly oversight, but check the batteries in your radio as well.
Fresh batteries as well.

I put a Tekin 9T in a brushed Slash back in the day and it was definitely faster on the same gearing than the 12T Titan. I do agree though about going brushless for significant change, that’s night and day.
+1
There can be a different amount of Torque and RPM's between 2 identically wound motors, depending IF the motor is a 540 vs a 550 can size. 550's ( Longer Can) generally provide more torque, and whether you use Hard, Medium or Softer Brushes. Brush Springs also have an impact on this. The Diameter of the Commutator also matters. Usually 2 sizes are used. There are also Lay Down and Upright type brushes. This varies from motor to motor, brand to brand. Talking Rebuildables, with Open endbell's. Even mechanical Timing can vary, and is adjustable. 6 degrees of mechanical timing is best for most brushed motors. Most efficient this way. Holmes Hobbies will even set the timing for you when you order one, for a very small charge. They come set with Zero degrees timing otherwise.
But from brand to brand, there will always be performance differences, The quality of the Mfr's Winding process even matters from brand to brand, and will differ.
So its possible that a 9 Turn would perform no better/ faster than a 12 Turn in some scenario's. Not much of a noticeable performance may result.
Just, in theory, a 9 Turn should be the faster motor, all things being equal.
BLX is better.
Something to consider at some point.
Brushed motors are a different animal altogether. And don't perform as consistently, as BLX will. Need regular cleaning out and brush maint. to always perform at its peak.
My 2 cents. :cool:

Last edited:
+1
There can be a different amount of Torque and RPM's between 2 identically wound motors, depending IF the motor is a 540 vs a 550 can size. 550's ( Longer Can) generally provide more torque, and whether you use Hard, Medium or Softer Brushes. Brush Springs also have an impact on this. The Diameter of the Commutator also matters. Usually 2 sizes are used. There are also Lay Down and Upright type brushes. This varies from motor to motor, brand to brand. Talking Rebuildables, with Open endbell's. Even mechanical Timing can vary, and is adjustable. 6 degrees of mechanical timing is best for most brushed motors. Most efficient this way. Holmes Hobbies will even set the timing for you when you order one, for a very small charge. They come set with Zero degrees timing otherwise.
But from brand to brand, there will always be performance differences, The quality of the Mfr's Winding process even matters from brand to brand, and will differ.
So its possible that a 9 Turn would perform no better/ faster than a 12 Turn in some scenario's. Not much of a noticeable performance may result.
Just, in theory, a 9 Turn should be the faster motor, all things being equal.
BLX is better.
Something to consider at some point.
Brushed motors are a different animal altogether. And don't perform as consistently, as BLX will. Need regular cleaning out and brush maint. to always perform at its peak.
My 2 cents. :cool:
I absolutely love brushless. Like I stated a little earlier I do have 2 other models that are brushless. I just wanted a one hell of a 4×4 brushed truck. And by the sounds of it you fellas kindly helped me out with it
So I thank you folks once again

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back