Aftermarket esc not supporting XMaxx lights

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FireDrake001

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Typhon Mega
Does anyone know what to do about the fact that once you upgrade to any other esc on a XMaxx you can’t use your light kit anymore? I am looking for some solutions to work with my max 6 esc

You need to rework your lighting wiring so it gets powered directly from your ESC's BEC. Any available open port at the Rx wil supply BEC power for lighting and other accessories, i.e. fans and Crawler winches etc.
With a little creativity and some brainstorming it can be done.

You need to rework your lighting wiring so it gets powered directly from your ESC's BEC. Any available open port at the Rx wil supply BEC power for lighting and other accessories, i.e. fans and Crawler winches etc.
With a little creativity and some brainstorming it can be done.
I keep looking for someone to have done it and show how. A multi meter and a bunch of testing for sure, I'm getting bored of my x maxx due to keeping the stock power system, mostly the stupidity of the lights being plugged to the esc, headlights easy, but the brake and back up light? Who needs lights anyways, what rip off! The trx-4 lights work of the receiver and nothing needed to be done for mine to work when I put a fusion brushless in it, even the wires that plugged to the motor wires did nothing.

I like lights for night driving visibility, I RC much when its dark. I find you only need front White headlights and Rear red lights. For visibility in the dark from afar.
Brake, signal and Back up lights is just all fluff. Not needed.
If you want a light "controller" to accomodate, check out MyTrickRC.com. He has controllers for all types of scale lighting.

Have you thought about installing a scaler style light module. You can turn them on and off with your remote if you got a third channel.

I keep looking for someone to have done it and show how. A multi meter and a bunch of testing for sure, I'm getting bored of my x maxx due to keeping the stock power system, mostly the stupidity of the lights being plugged to the esc, headlights easy, but the brake and back up light? Who needs lights anyways, what rip off! The trx-4 lights work of the receiver and nothing needed to be done for mine to work when I put a fusion brushless in it, even the wires that plugged to the motor wires did nothing.
They were pre installed and I rarely use them. Not the most useful but I’d still like the availability for winter when it gets dark quick.

I think there are a few choices here
  • Get a new, more generic lighting controller. Figure out how to wire in the existing LEDs.
  • See if you can decode the Traxxas interface to he ESC and make a harness.
  • Wire them directly to your BEC and don't worry about the fancy functions. But make sure they have current limiting resistors in the package, otherwise you can blow them out.

Keep it simple and just rewire all the lights to a universal type RC Lighting controller. Switched at the radio with an open spare channel on the Rx.
Don't overthink this too much.

Ok, it's gonna take somebody smarter than me to figure it out!
There's 8 wires that plug to the esc, found one to be ground, 2 have 6 volts, 2 have three, the three others don't have any voltage at anytime, no signal for brake or reverse unless it's a resistance valve that changes in the 3 wires without voltage.
Here's the kicker...tested for the headlight, has three wires, 16 volts on high beam, 13 volts on low beam. It does say high voltage power amplifier on the distribution block so I guess it does!
There is a non used plug next to the input wire of the amplifier, thought just for a second the trx-4 block to receiver wire could replace the amp to esc wire...close, they convieniatly block three holes of the trx-4 wire so it won't plug in to the amp that is the same but has 8 pins.
So for now I'm abandoning lights, and installing a max 6! Also swapping the rocket metal fan I had previously put in the vxl and two in the stock motor shroud due to fan blade breakage of the plastic fans.
If anybody can build a link from the amp to receiver or just to the servo wires...I'm all ears, I'll even buy the connector if you build it!

Last edited:
Well...I'm smart enough after all!
No need for anything other than a spare servo plug into the receiver and some cut and soldering.
Just cut the wires and plug um up to go in a free channel of the receiver, 2 black wires to ground, then 2 red and 2 green to power, and viola, headlights and tail lights, no brake or reverse, but still high, low and off pressing the amplifier button. Now...let's say there is a remarkable increase in performance with the max 6! My stock vxl 8 had a terrible delay before full power (several feet) and seemed way to easy to hold wot, at least it never caught on fire! This max 6 fits right in the stock location and won't tear the truck apart, hopefully.

20230924_114245.jpg

20230924_115746.jpg

20230924_115756.jpg

Well...I'm smart enough after all!
No need for anything other than a spare servo plug into the receiver and some cut and soldering.
Just cut the wires and plug um up to go in a free channel of the receiver, 2 black wires to ground, then 2 red and 2 green to power, and viola, headlights and tail lights, no brake or reverse, but still high, low and off pressing the amplifier button. Now...let's say there is a remarkable increase in performance with the max 6! My stock vxl 8 had a terrible delay before full power (several feet) and seemed way to easy to hold wot, at least it never caught on fire! This max 6 fits right in the stock location and won't tear the truck apart, hopefully.

View attachment 323826

View attachment 323827

View attachment 323828

Nice work!

The brake, reverse lights and turn signals would have to monitor the channels and look for the PWM signals to determine what's happening and turn on the right lights.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back