Kraton Alternative to Drywall Tape / Shoe-Goo?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nyev

Reaction score
I'm close to approaching the body reinforcement phase of my Kraton EXB build (Drywall tape + Shoe Goo) and I'm not looking forward to it..... Fiddly and messy.

This would probably defeat the purpose by costing more, but would an alternative be to simply use two bodies Shoe-Glued together? Again not sure it makes sense considering the whole point is to not have to buy a second body quite so soon, but just wondering if anyone has attempted that?

I like my thick black gorilla tape... holds together pretty well, maybe not as solid as the show goo method but not nearly as expensive time consuming or hand murdering 😂🤣

57BD2497-A2CB-4B70-BE66-935A61A26F7D.jpeg
50D7C5D4-5904-455B-AA2C-DBB0A2B5A5C5.jpeg

I'm looking forward to doing the shoe goo method on my next body. In the meantime, I have had exceptional results with gorrila tape.

Works well on the exterior as well I guess IDGAF

🙉

16178439874578703180064636506149.jpg

16178440790528607676756774498378.jpg

I gorilla tape the inside and put thin plastic circles around the body post holes for reinforcement. Never did shoe goo so I can’t compare but the gorilla tape has held my 3s bodies in tact for more than a year.

I gorilla tape the inside and put thin plastic circles around the body post holes for reinforcement. Never did shoe goo so I can’t compare but the gorilla tape has held my 3s bodies in tact for more than a year.

So really off topic but am I the only who thinks that the current body mounting system for rc cars is stupid? I mean yeah let's stick a piece of plastic that isn't even 1mm thick on top of a small post that is the size of a dime that should hold up :rolleyes:

The Traxxas body mount system is a bit better but then the body constantly flies off.

My idea builds upon the current system. Basically my idea puts a plastic plate that is 32mm wide and 3.5mm thick that runs from body post to body post where the body rests with body mounts built in it. One in the front and one in the rear. This should eliminate the body posts shoving through the body.

Agreed that body mounting system doesn't work well with bashers. I've added a strip of thin aluminum on the inside of the body and drilled holes through it. Only thing that prevents the posts from going through and you can bend it back into shape after the fact.

On OP, glueing 2 bodies together, no it will just break 2 bodies, don't think it's been tried but thickness alone is not the answer.
Shoegoo/drywall does 2 things that you will encounter. Punctures (shoegoo) and tearing/splitting (drywall tape), hence the good success rate of the combo.

Tape -doesn't prevent tearing very well and does not protect against punctures as it's not stiff enough. My tape always peeled off in a corner and got dirty leading to more peeling. Yes, I used a heatgun to activate the glue etc. Body cracked right under teh tape that was still 'stuck'.

Flexseal - I used it to cover the shoegoo combo but adds nothing except better looks and a smoother surface
Flexseal on body - does not add any protection, just like paint
Flexseal on tape, peels off and adds nothing

Seen Truckbed liner on Youtube - no idea if it holds up and cost is a bit of an unknown. Should be ok, woul dlike to see more experiments. Shoegoo works very well for me.

Agreed that body mounting system doesn't work well with bashers. I've added a strip of thin aluminum on the inside of the body and drilled holes through it. Only thing that prevents the posts from going through and you can bend it back into shape after the fact.

On OP, glueing 2 bodies together, no it will just break 2 bodies, don't think it's been tried but thickness alone is not the answer.
Shoegoo/drywall does 2 things that you will encounter. Punctures (shoegoo) and tearing/splitting (drywall tape), hence the good success rate of the combo.

Tape -doesn't prevent tearing very well and does not protect against punctures as it's not stiff enough. My tape always peeled off in a corner and got dirty leading to more peeling. Yes, I used a heatgun to activate the glue etc. Body cracked right under teh tape that was still 'stuck'.

Flexseal - I used it to cover the shoegoo combo but adds nothing except better looks and a smoother surface
Flexseal on body - does not add any protection, just like paint
Flexseal on tape, peels off and adds nothing

Seen Truckbed liner on Youtube - no idea if it holds up and cost is a bit of an unknown. Should be ok, woul dlike to see more experiments. Shoegoo works very well for me.

https://www.rctech.net/forum/painti...tection-bashers-long-article-many-photos.html

I have used EPDM rubber tape on my body. It sticks good and has held up for 3 years so far. Eternabond RV tape might also work good but I have
not not tried it.

1617889729891.png
1617889756410.png

Gorilla tape tore the paint loose from my self painted body :mad:
I'll blame my painting skills.

Drywall tape and shoegoo still holds strong on my old bodies.
The Traxxas body mount system is a bit better but then the body constantly flies off.
I found out that hardly happens with an unbreakable body (less flex).

Here's your warning if you didn't read the fine print- Shoe Goo is 60% toluene. Toluene, in addition to being historically linked to lung cancer, is also an ototoxin, which means it makes you grow deaf from inhalation and skin exposure. Smearing that crap on your car body with your fingers in your bedroom or basement is not a good plan for your health. I know y'all are young and bulletproof and really smart, but you're hurting yourselves with that manner of use. You don't have to take my word for it, the information is out there.

Flex Seal, on the other hand, is quite safe in comparison due to its formulation.

My idea builds upon the current system. Basically my idea puts a plastic plate that is 32mm wide and 3.5mm thick that runs from body post to body post where the body rests with body mounts built in it. One in the front and one in the rear. This should eliminate the body posts shoving through the body.
I wonder: would tightly glueing a strip of thicker lexan to the body (over the holes, so that part becomes stronger) reinforce the holes a lot? My SCT body is basically split in half, with most of the rips originating from the mounting holes.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back